Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Louder Engine After Valves Adjusted and Changing to Synthetic

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Louder Engine After Valves Adjusted and Changing to Synthetic

I have a '97 Civic LX, 5-speed with a D16Y7 and 213k on it.

I got my valves adjusted about two weeks ago by a Honda mechanic who has been working on Hondas for 30 years (trying to show that I trust him, and I think he did the job correctly). After the valves were adjusted, I also switched from Valvoline High Mileage 5w-30, which I had been using for the past 60,000 miles, to Mobil-1 full synthetic 5w-30.

I then left for a work trip, traveling from Atlanta, GA to Maine. Before I got the valves adjusted, I was noticing engine clatter at startup, which would subside after the fluids got moving around well. It usually took about a minute or so, at most.

After having the valves adjusted, I notice the "tapping" and sounds inside the motor much more. I don't know if I just didn't notice them beforehand, or if this is what it's supposed to sound like. When I put some strain on the engine (as in decelerating while in gear) I can exasperate the sound more. I can hear it especially well while idling at a stop.

The engine runs fine, however, and I have made SURE that the oil stays on the full mark. I check it after every single fill-up. It's just the noise that concerns me.

I don't know if it could be purely coincidental, or if this is what properly adjusted valves are supposed to sound like. Or if this could be due to me switching to synthetic. Anyone have any advice for me? I don't want to feel like I'm driving a ticking time bomb. I am probably over-thinking this entire thing, but it's kind of nerve-racking when you take your vehicle on a 1,200 mile journey up the east coast, without having the resources or time to fix something if it goes wrong.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Louder Engine After Valves Adjusted and Changing to Synthetic

Ask him what clearance tolerances he used for both the intake and exhaust valves and report back.The feeler gauges that he used should be: .007 feeler gauge on the intake side and the .009 on the exhaust side.

D16Y Valve Lash Adjustment - How to - 96-00 Honda Civic SOHC

Also if, your car happens to burn oil (like older honda's tend to do) synthetic will burn faster than conventional.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Synthetic oil is more "slick" than conventional. You may notice excess valve train noise, upon switching, and possibly oil leaks. Due to being so slick it runs right past, a used and brittle gasket.

Honda motors are always gonna sound like sowing machines. Especially higher mileage.
I put conventional in my car just for this reason. I have switched from full synthetic to mobil 1 10w-30 conventional, and can say the valve noise is more suppressed with this than synthetic. Plus its easier on the pocket.

If your really concerned, ask your "mechanic" what specs he set the valve lash to.
It should be
.007 intake
.009 exhaust
Old 03-31-2015, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm positive that he used the specs that are posted on the hood of the Civic. He even pointed to them and said "These are the specs for the valve adjustment, and it's recommended to do it every 30k".

(Hope that helps)

I didn't want to risk doing it wrong, hence why I didn't try to tackle it myself.

These valve train noises that I'm hearing (assuming that the valve job was done correctly and is not the culprit), won't actually harm anything, right? The only potential way to harm it would be to run it low on oil (if it develops any leaks due to the synthetic). But if I keep it topped off, and am vigilant about checking the oil levels constantly, then the increased sound (theoretically) shouldn't be a problem, right?
Old 03-31-2015, 08:35 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

As for spec, Intake is 0.007" to 0.009" and a little looser is better than tighter. 0.008" is a great feeler gauge to use for the Intake.

Then Exhaust is 0.009" to 0.011" so the 0.010" is the best one to use. If it's a little tight on the 0.010" you will be in spec by being right around the tight end of spec of 0.009". If it's a little loose on the 0.010" then you end up being on the loose end of spec at 0.011".

If you are concerned, you can take it to your mechanic and ask if the engine sounds normal. It likely does and you just never really noticed or paid attention to the sewing machine ticking sounds before of the rocker arms on the valve stems.

It's the harder sounds of tocking and banging that you need be worried about. But like I mentioned, your 30 year Honda veteran will be able to discern bad sounds in the Honda motor. If he assures you it sounds normal then I'd be fairly confident that all is well.