Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Lost the Key to the Ignition, which isn't from the vehicle originally (can't have VIN key cut). What

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 11:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost the Key to the Ignition, which isn't from the vehicle originally (can't have VIN key cut). What

My buddy has a car that he bought that always needed 2 seperate keys -- one for the door, one for the ignition. Everything was fine until he lost the ignition key. The previous owner was a relative from my dad's side and we don't talk any more so thats out.

The VIN matches the door locks, so that leaves him with a non-running car. What can he do to get her running again? Will locksmiths be able to figure out a key? Is the VIN on the ignition? If none of those work, what do we have to pull to replace from another car, at minimum?
Old 01-08-2007, 12:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Lost the Key to the Ignition, which isn't from the vehicle originally (can't have VIN key cut).

#1, a locksmith can make a key for a fee

#2, you can change the ignition from another Honda alot cheaper than paying a locksmith if you can find a parts car with a key

#3, you can remove the back of the ignition switch and start the car easily without a key

#4, you can wire a bypass that uses a start button, once again without the key, but it'll take someone that's somewhat capable of wiring such things

This all applies to cars with standard non immobilizer equipped ignitions. The basic ignition like found in EF's and EG's are stupid simple. If I wasn't careful with the plastic around the steering column, with just basic tools I could start one of those honda's in probably 5 minutes or less without a key.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Lost the Key to the Ignition, which isn't from the vehicle originally (can't have VIN key cut).

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Atheist &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My buddy has a car that he bought that always needed 2 seperate keys -- one for the door, one for the ignition. Everything was fine until he lost the ignition key. The previous owner was a relative from my dad's side and we don't talk any more so thats out.

The VIN matches the door locks, so that leaves him with a non-running car. What can he do to get her running again? Will locksmiths be able to figure out a key? Is the VIN on the ignition? If none of those work, what do we have to pull to replace from another car, at minimum?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea....call a locksmith and tell them the situation...they'll come out to your area and make a key for the ignition...go on the Yellow pages website and find all the ones near you and ask for quotes and everytime you call a different one, tell them that the other ones are giving you a good deal, that if they can beat it...you'll end up getting the best deal...UNLESS is one of those BMW laser cut security keys...they cant do sht...you have to take the registration the th BMW dealer and they'll order you a key...you can only do it up to 10 times on a BMW...if its a BMW and that was his 10th key purchased...the only option, and they will tell you at the dealer, is to change the whole ignition...good luck