Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

loss of power during v-tec

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2004, 01:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default loss of power during v-tec

Hey I'm stuck. My friend has a 97 civic with a gsr engine. Recently the distributer had a melt down. It was fixed but now every time v-tec activates there seems to be a loss of power. I can hear it activate but nothing happens. The car idles and drives perfect until v-tec. The coil and igniter have been replaced twice and also the spark plugs have been replaced. There's no check engine light. I'm running out of ideas. I NEED YOUR HELP PLEASE.

Modified by the real allmotormike at 1:49 AM 6/20/2004
Old 06-19-2004, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: loss of power during v-tec (the real allmotormike)

i dont think the distributor would have anything to do with vtec. is it throwing any codes? could be the vtec solenoid...
Old 06-19-2004, 01:49 PM

try resetting the ECU, if that doesnt work then i'd check the solenoid and wiring. also check oil pressure, engine temp. etc... there are a lot of things that have to be running perfectly for VTEC to engage. if VTEC is engaging, it should not be losing power.
Old 06-19-2004, 03:37 PM

I may have the same problem you do. Do you have an AF gauge? My gauge shows that when VTEC engages, I don't have enough fuel. But the crappy part is, it won't do it all the time. Most times my car runs fine and pulls in VTEC as it always did, but every once in awhile it just doesn't send enough fuel while in VTEC. I think it's the ECU or VAFC or wiring that's at fault, but I don't know which. All I have to do is shut the car off and restart it and it stops doing it for awhile... Anyone got an idea on what may be wrong? I have a JDM B16A running off a P72 ECU, all ODB-II converted.

Thanks
Old 06-19-2004, 03:52 PM

Pull off the vacuum hose from the fuel pressure riser, and plug the vacuum port to the intake manifold,then drive the car and see if the problem is still there. This will keep the car running rich and will let you know if its a fuel pressure problem .It sounds like you are not getting enough fuel,either the fuel pump or stuck injector, are you sure it does it all the time or only when the car has been running awhile???
Old 06-19-2004, 04:56 PM

I don't think it's the solenoid cause vtec wouldn't even engage, or would it? Although, I will have to check my oil pressure and fuel. Also it is constant from when the car is started and from when it's been sitting there on for a while. No matter when it' hits 4500 rpms you can hear the vtec kick in but it just doesn't produce. From start to 4500 rpm it goes but after 4500 it wants to hit in vtec and but like i said it just doesn't produce. I also do not have my vtec controller connected. HELP PLEASE!
Old 06-19-2004, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by the real allmotormike &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't think it's the solenoid cause vtec wouldn't even engage, or would it? Although, I will have to check my oil pressure and fuel. Also it is constant from when the car is started and from when it's been sitting there on for a while. No matter when it' hits 4500 rpms you can hear the vtec kick in but it just doesn't produce. From start to 4500 rpm it goes but after 4500 it wants to hit in vtec and but like i said it just doesn't produce. I also do not have my vtec controller connected. HELP PLEASE!</TD></TR></TABLE>
good job you fixed it
Old 06-19-2004, 06:08 PM

Default Re: loss of power during v-tec (Art In Motion)

well no it's not actually fixed. it still doens't work after 4500 rpm it still doesn't kick in. Yuo hear it but nothing happens and it feels like it goes slower than it should.
Old 06-19-2004, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thats not what i was referring to....nevermind
Old 06-19-2004, 06:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definately sounds like a fuel delivery problem. Invest in an FPR.
Old 06-19-2004, 07:13 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by the real allmotormike &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't think it's the solenoid cause vtec wouldn't even engage, or would it? Although, I will have to check my oil pressure and fuel. Also it is constant from when the car is started and from when it's been sitting there on for a while. No matter when it' hits 4500 rpms you can hear the vtec kick in but it just doesn't produce. From start to 4500 rpm it goes but after 4500 it wants to hit in vtec and but like i said it just doesn't produce. I also do not have my vtec controller connected. HELP PLEASE!</TD></TR></TABLE>

its probably not engaging. in my old Si if i would take it above 5,500rpms while the engine was cold, it would soud like VTEC engaged, but the power lagged because VTEC wasnt engaging since the engine temp was too low. like i said before, if it is engaging it would be making power. so its either not engaging, or it is engaging but there is a fuel problem.
Old 06-21-2004, 04:59 PM

Default Re: loss of power during v-tec (vsmEK)

AllMotorMike's problem might be fuel pressure related but mine seems electronic in nature. Mike's problem shouldn't be from a cold motor because he hasn't hooked up his VTEC controller yet. My advice to Mike is to buy a FPR and turn it up to see what happens. He also needs to buy an A/F gauge.

My problem with fuel delivery occurs only once the car is warm and only above 4500rpm. VTEC engages but is starved for fuel. And it doesn't happen all the time.
Old 06-24-2004, 03:29 PM

Default Re: loss of power during v-tec (hondapwr)

It's fixed. Thanks all you guys for the input. The adjustable fuel regulator was shot. I replaced it and reclocked the timing and the engine is puring once again. As I noted before THANKS
Old 06-29-2004, 02:28 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by the real allmotormike &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It's fixed. Thanks all you guys for the input. The adjustable fuel regulator was shot. I replaced it and reclocked the timing and the engine is puring once again. As I noted before THANKS </TD></TR></TABLE>

Hmm maybe I should replace my FPR too. What kind did you buy, how much was it, and where did you buy it from?