Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Looking for a battery trunk relocation write up.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a battery trunk relocation write up.

hey guys ive seen some pics of cars with the battery in the trunk . i have to replace battery and battery tray because of corrosion . i figured might as well try this if i can find a detailed write up but no luck so far . i was thinking of getting a kit from jegs.com they seem pretty simple but i really need to know how the wires are routed through the car and connected in the engine etc the small details . any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 04-28-2011, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Looking for a battery trunk relocation write up.

I dont have a detailed wright up but I ran mine under neather the car. I used insulated clams and ran it along the frame underneathe the car and just screwed it to the fram and than just brought it into the engine bay. Next to were the fuel lines are.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

connect ur power wire to the starter power .since i dont have a/c anymore i ran my 0 ga through where then condensation drips outside the firewall if u remove the hose. then i ran it around by the ecu kick pannel and ran it under the door sills to the back seat and tucked it all the way to the back of the trunk where the spare tire goes is where i mounted my aluminum battery box. run a ground from the box out to a bolt close to the box or behind ur pannels if u want it hidden.
Old 06-18-2011, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just stared mines and been searching for the gauge size and it seen like a lot of cats are missleading people, by sugstn 10g from the trunk to the starter, and 4g from the starter to the fuse box, but that's good you sugest 0g, how about from starter to fusebox??
Old 06-18-2011, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did mine the other day, spent maybe 40$.

10 feet of 2gauge wire, connectors, terminal covers, and wire insulation. Connect the starter power wire and fuse box wire together. Place the battery in the trunk where you want it, and ground it (new ground you make yourself) as close as possible to the battery. Run the new power wire wherever you please, connect it to the start/fuse wire, then connect it to the battery.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing that I think people are not considering is that those batteries release hydrogen when they're being charged/used and unless you have a way to vent this, this could build up in the trunk, potentially leading to a very serious explosion.. The least you could do is get a battery designed for being mounted in the trunk, that way you can run a vacuum hose to the exterior of the car.. (Volvo S60 for example)