Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How do you relocate your battery in the trunk?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you relocate your battery in the trunk?

whats up Honda-tech?. I was wondering how do you relocate your battery to your trunk because i want to clean up the engine bay a little. and also where do you hide your fuse box?

i drive a 2000 honda civic si. any picture's and really goo direction works.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: How do you relocate your battery in the trunk?

I searched and believe it or not I didn't find anything, so here:

Tools needed:
- wire cutters/strippers
- pliers
- maybe a flathead
- soldering iron and solder
- heatshrink tubing
- electrical tape
- spool of wire the same thickness as your battery wires (at least 30 ft)
- new battery post clamps (cheap insurance)

1. Disconnect battery and remove.

2. Find a hole in the firewall big enough to run those battery cables (may have to drill one)

3. Run battery cables thru firewall and route under carpet to under door sill to under backseat side molding to trunk. To route under the backseat side molding you will have to remove the backseat to remove the side molding. * If you have amp wires running under the door sill route the battery cables on the other side as you will get massive interference.

4. In the trunk, cap your battery cables with your new clamps.

5. Under the hood, solder the new cables to the old ones, heatshrink, then wrap with electrical tape.

6. Connect your battery and see if it works. If it does, put everything back together, make a stay for your new trunk mounted battery and your done.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good post up, make sure all wires get covered up properly!
Old 09-26-2010, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Pictures are gone though
http://www.ej8squad.com/thread-1622.html
Old 09-26-2010, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

For the wire i just bought some 6 gauge jumper cables, separated them and chopped off the alligator clips at the ends. If you don't think that'l be enough you can use 4 or 2 gauge wire, but i've been fine with 6 so far. My reasoning was that the jumper cable is insulated well enough to handle the initial cranking amps required for the starter, the rest of the time its only under running voltage plus any additonal loads (stereo, lights, etc). From there you have to splice one end into the cars positive wire by the fusebox and attach a battery terminal to the other end. As stated above if your running a power wire for a stereo run the battery wire away from the RCA cables to avoid interference (noise). Once you have your location set in the trunk and tested that everything is working, place the battery on a plastic tray and drill or punch 2 small holes on either side of it. These will be where you send through the 2 tie down rods with a lil hook on one end and wingnut on the other. Just make sure your not puncturing anything underneath before you drill. Then just put together your tie-down, make sure the battery is secure so it wont move around while driving, and clean a spot to bare metal to ground out the negative terminal to the chassis. A couple things to keep in mind are that if you run the hot wire through any holes in the firewall or from the passenger cabin to the trunk that the wire is cushioned so its not in contact with the edge of the metal. ( I just took one of those rubber grommets and cut them in half because over time from driving the edge of the metal will wear through the insulation.) Other than that just make sure ALL of your connections are well insulated and that your battery wire isnt getting pinched anywhere. THE LAST THING YOU WANT IS THE HOT WIRE IN CONTACT WITH THE CHASSIS. i'll try n post some pics of my setup in the next few days.. good luck