Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

A little story... gotta do some head work

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 08:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A little story... gotta do some head work

Sup guys... I bought this 2000 EM1 just as it is here, 5 lug already on, GSR block, JDM Type R internals head and tranny, so on and so forth. The only thing that bothered me was that I didnt do any of my own work, and we all know you appreciate it more when you do your own work. So I want to do a couple changes like take the bolt ons out it came with, and do my own set up; and other little things here and there... well, it seems Ill be doin more than that now. The cars been kinda actin funny, me and my dad were checkin it out... the inside of the distributor cap filled with carbon build up... hmmmm there is one factor of it not firing right, and the guy who "built it" didnt tighten one of the screws, so its just been hangin there, and literally tore a circle in the dust cover. Now the best part of all... MY JDM Type R head... on the last one to the right, they tightened the **** out of the plug or something... the threads in my head to that one is stripped. You can see aluminum flakes around the plug when taken out. So now I gotta send it to the machine shop, I wanted to rebuild the head anyway... it looks like I'll really be doin my own work to the car now huh? lol... and Ill be changin rotors to drill slotted, do some interior mods, MSD ignition, but I want to focus on the head, thinking of doin it up all Skunk2. Anyway, thanks for reading, any opinions on mods for the car feel free Here is a couple pics of it as is now... before I start doin my own things...

Old 08-04-2007, 08:36 PM

Default Re: A little story... gotta do some head work (JDM Boy)

sucks about the whole spark plug deal with someone strippin the head out. i would recommend buddy club for the cams. never was too much of a fan of skunk2.
Old 08-04-2007, 09:08 PM

Default Re: A little story... gotta do some head work (cartune network)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cartune network &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sucks about the whole spark plug deal with someone strippin the head out. i would recommend buddy club for the cams. never was too much of a fan of skunk2. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Its funny you say that cause besides skunk2 cams, I have been lookin into buddy club. They seem like a reliable and good performance brand, Ill look into them a little more, thanks
Old 08-04-2007, 10:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: A little story... gotta do some head work (JDM Boy)

skunk2 parts are extremely high quality..but if youre looking into budy club, password sells a valvetrain/cam gear/spec IV combo
Old 08-04-2007, 10:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A little story... gotta do some head work (speedooo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM Boy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ill be changin rotors to drill slotted
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Drilled and slotted rotors

Go with brembo blanks
Old 08-04-2007, 10:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A little story... gotta do some head work (CapnKrunch)

the guy i bought my car from didnt tighten anything when he put the moter together and it almost messed up the hole moter.i took it apart and put it together right and ive been driving it everyday sense.
Old 08-05-2007, 01:45 PM

Default Re: A little story... gotta do some head work (CapnKrunch)

Thanks for all the info guys...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Winlight &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the guy i bought my car from didnt tighten anything when he put the moter together and it almost messed up the hole moter.i took it apart and put it together right and ive been driving it everyday sense.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I know how you feel man, but congrats on doin it right! Soon, I'll be on the same track

Old 08-05-2007, 01:48 PM

Default Re: A little story... gotta do some head work (speedooo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by speedooo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">skunk2 parts are extremely high quality..but if youre looking into budy club, password sells a valvetrain/cam gear/spec IV combo</TD></TR></TABLE>

i wouldnt go with the spec 4's unles ur gonna build the bottom end meaning a high a** comp ratio and resleeving or stroking or both. but for a nice daily with alot more power than stocl i would go with buddy club spec 3's. i used to run them in my itr daily and it was perfect. buddy club 4's need a higher comp ratio to make power. go with the bc3's.
Old 08-05-2007, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

clean civic. GL with the head. Get a 3 angle valve job while you're at it
Old 08-05-2007, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Kelb)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kelb &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">clean civic. GL with the head. Get a 3 angle valve job while you're at it </TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 08-05-2007, 03:22 PM

Default Re: (Kelb)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kelb &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">clean civic. GL with the head. Get a 3 angle valve job while you're at it </TD></TR></TABLE>

hondas come with a 3-angle valve job from factory.
Old 08-05-2007, 03:52 PM
GarageAlchemist

Default Re: (cartune network)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cartune network &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

hondas come with a 3-angle valve job from factory.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea but i'm sure he wants to reseal the valve seats
Old 08-05-2007, 03:55 PM

Default Re: (GarageAlchemist)

good point.
Old 08-05-2007, 04:45 PM

Default Re: (GarageAlchemist)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GarageAlchemist &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

yea but i'm sure he wants to reseal the valve seats</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats exactly what I am doing.