Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Knocking while turning....

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knocking while turning....

Yes, I searched. I looked at my CV boots and no tears, no leaks, no nothing anywhere. Looked at all the moving parts, axles, etc. Nothing seemed bent or out of shape. I took off my lug nuts and wheel and put everything back on.

Weird thing is, it started happening out of no where about 2/3 weeks ago. I took a turn and I heard it. I don't auto-x my car, I don't abuse it on curvy roads. It's just a DD. I'm clueless as to how something would get fucked up considering I don't drive like that.

So is replacing my axles the only way to fix the problem?
Old 10-03-2007, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Re: Knocking while turning.... (amej8)

do you have swaybars? when the swaybar link gets worn out and or breaks it can make some scary sounding noises. however it's usually when you go over bumps and uneven roads.

does anything else happen when you hear it, like the steering wheel jerking or something like that?

also i have seen CV joints bad that didn't have split boots. rare, but it happens.

knocking though, not clicking right? still i can only guess...
Old 10-03-2007, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Knocking while turning.... (amej8)

does ur car suddenly veers off when turning or anything?

my car had knocking stuff and it turned out my wheel bearing was bad, it was so bad it chewed up the hub

take off your wheels and check for play
Old 10-03-2007, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Do you see any black grease or goo on any steering parts?
Old 10-03-2007, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JayKayNidas)

it could be ur differential like in my car. one day it was good driving normaly next day it just failed and was knocking.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:19 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (jdmcivicracer89)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdmcivicracer89 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it could be ur differential like in my car. one day it was good driving normaly next day it just failed and was knocking.</TD></TR></TABLE>

right...

anyway.. check your LCA bolts. it could just be the fact that the front LCA bolt could be worn out.
it could help if you said what kind of car etc so i can find pics and point out what's wrong.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Actually... Someone said something that triggered a memory.

I was driving earlier and I was taking a corner kinda hard to make a yellow, and I noticed I could feel the knocking in the steering wheel. VERY slightly. It wasn't violent or harsh or bad, but I could ever so slightly feel the knocking in the steering wheel WHILE hearing it.

Again, I checked under the entire front end of the car. Nothing seems bent, out of shape, or leaking. There is NO grease whatsoever on any parts. I removed my lug nuts and put them back on.

I'll try taking off my wheel and checking for play and such tomorrow after my morning class.

God I wish I could bring in my car to auto lab. But the lab is strictly for educational purposes only and we can only use the cars that they provide us with (Toyota cars since I'm in classes with Toyota students). My car has so many problems, we could learn off my car for the rest of the semester lol.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ttt
Old 10-04-2007, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (amej8)

yeh i would definitely check for play. dont think you necessarily have to take the wheels off to do that. wiggle the wheel left to right for tie rods, top to bottom is for wheel bearings.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondamark35 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> also i have seen CV joints bad that didn't have split boots. rare, but it happens. </TD></TR></TABLE>

very true
Old 10-04-2007, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (blkSi)

you don't even have to pull the wheel off, just jack the car up and grab the wheel and shake it front to back. If it's got play in it, it's your wheel bearing.

just for ***** and giggle too, if you run torque mounts, the motor mount that bolts directly to the front of the motor, then bolts to the underneath of the frame. look where it goes underneath and bolts to the chasis, they are plastic and brake all the time, so when you motor shift plastic hits metal, aka knocking noise
Old 10-04-2007, 11:40 AM

Default Re: (SIXTY-1HATCH)

i dont kno if its the same problem, but my car was more like a popping sound when turning, and the wheel would jerk to the right or left when hitting a groove. I
changed the axle, and a screw was lose from the camber kit. After alignment and everything, the problem was fixed.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds like Bearing. But just do the tests and keep checking everything, be nice if it wasnt a bearing since their kind of a bitch and most likely you gotta find someone to press it for you. But whatever the case GL. Bump!
Old 10-04-2007, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the input .

And actually, my motor mounts are pretty shot. Just driving everyday, when I'm off the gas just cruising and then go to press it again, my whole car jerks. And shifting, the motor rocks SO hard sometimes. Even when I go in the bay while I'm parked and manually hit the throttle lever to rev the car, motor moves a lot more than it used to and compared to my friends civics (same year).

It doesn't bother me enough to want to spend money on mounts but I (hopefully) plan on getting a swap in the near future so new mounts will be used anyways.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh and 1 more quick question: Do I have to have both front wheels off the ground when doing those tests? Or can I just jack up 1 side at a time?
Old 10-04-2007, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if it's knocking while turning it's almost for sure CV axle gone bad ... turning only left or right? or both perhaps?
Old 10-04-2007, 02:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Now it happens turning both ways.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you can jack up one side at a time if you like
Old 10-08-2007, 04:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I haven't had the time to check cuz I've been insanely busy with work and school...

But now the knocking mainly happens on left turns. It's very slight on the right turns. But on left turns, it's loud. Like...scary loud. And it knocks HARD. I can feel it in the steering wheel a lot. Scary enough to not make me want to drive my car sometimes.

It's much louder than it used to be. Does that bit of information help lead to anything specific? I'll do the wheel shaking test once I get outta this class around noon.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Word of advice if you got a drasticly loud suspension/drivetrain noise like such, i don't recommend driving your car. Very unsafe. If the time is not available run it down to your local trusting mechanic and have them briefly diag it. You can still do the repair yourself to save some money, but atleast have them diag it.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That's a problem because I have class all 5 days of the week and can't miss any and I work both days of the weekend lol. And both my parents drive their cars to work and their schedule is different from mine.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Try carpooling or see if a buddy can drive you to work, or even have them come with u too school and then they drive your car to the shop. Broken axle or suspension item is not a good thing, the best option it leaves you broke down, the worst option **** breaks you loose control of your car end up wrecking.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I cant beleive no one said BALL JOINT...

Bad axles/cv joints click...softly
Bad ball joints knock...loud...and get louder the worse they get.

If you keep driving it, and they break, you will end up with a crushed fender
(I know from experience...)
Old 10-08-2007, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (pdiggitydogg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pdiggitydogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Bad ball joints knock...loud...and get louder the worse they get.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's exactly the case. Thanks . I'll look into that. Back from class so I'll be playing around with the car for a bit.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You really wont be able to tell how bad they are, unless you remove the knuckle from the u/lca.
After you do that, move the stud around - if its loose replace it. Ball joints should have resistance/be firm