Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

KNOCKING

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KNOCKING

so i have a 1996 honda civic.....has tha sohc d16y7.........yesterday we had a pretty bad storm roll thru and i guess the roads were a little over with water....maybe 2 or 3 inches.......it was splashing everywhere......then my car died.........took awhile to start back up but then it did........when i got home i parked it and ran inside to get out of the rain........next day i go to drive it and its knocking under the hood.....now my last engine about a year ago did this and so did my moms........both of us wound up having to get new engines......i really dont wanna have to do this again at all.....so anyways......i took off my valve cover and checked for loose lifters and springs.....some were loose and some were tight.....the loose ones would only jiggle a little bit......so i tried to tighten them with a 10mm ratchet and socket.......well then 2 of the damn bolts broke off.......some i was able to tighten more then they were before, but my car still makes the same noise......a friend of mine told me it could be a rod......which i hope not......what should i do.....or look for?
Old 07-25-2007, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: KNOCKING (d16spooler)

Maybe you and your family should stop driving in the rain. Look for some bent valves. Thats usually a problem if you hydrolock your motor.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:36 PM
Banned

I dont know why driving through the rain would cause you to have rod knock. Do you have any mods done to your car? Possibly a Cold air intake?
Old 07-25-2007, 09:40 PM

you should have left that valve cover on.. what you tightened was the tappets some should have been loose while others will seem tight it depends on where the engine is in its cycle... probably will have to replace some rockers and need a proper valve adjustment

Its hard to guess what your knocking is without hearing it.. if its loud and constant its probably a rod.. if its light with some hesitation and goes away with high rpms its probably something in the ignition like wires, plugs cap, rotor, or distributor which might explain the water stalling out then starting after a few hours of drying out
Old 07-26-2007, 01:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have the same problem but i went to a shop n they told me is ur rods going bad well guess what i got new set bearings lube n got under my car to fix the problem BUT!!!!! when i took everything apart my main bearings n rod bearings look like new there was nothing wrong so anyways i replace em thinking it migth fix the noise now when i am done n turn my car back again boom!!! the noise is still there i have no idead what it is makes noise during 1st gear when i hit 3 rpm n some times during second
Old 07-26-2007, 07:51 PM

Default Re: (ekb16a)

yeah all i have is a cold air, some headers, and exhaust, a spacer....thats all the mods i have....nthn special.......but yeah......its really constant annoying as hell loud tapping.......and knocking.....and its like a clikking and when i drive it gets faster at higher rpms while driving....but when driving fast i cant tell if it goes away kuz my kars too loud to tell.......n today as wierd as it sounds....it went from how my exhaust usually sounds....like from a deep solid tone.....to like a lobing subaru exhaust...its wierd as hell...it sounds cool....but it cant be good obviously......anyways.....yeah i dono what to do.......and no my moms went out just out of nowhere.....and my old one went out from hardly any oil....right now i have plenty of oil and all.....it just wont quit klikking.......i dont know what to do.....i wish it were something easy to fix bymy self.....but i know it cant be..............should i just take it to a shop and get it looked at or what? i mean im about to go to college here in about less than a month and i needa get this sht fixd fast....n i dont wanna burn a hold thru my wallet....
Old 07-26-2007, 07:54 PM

Default Re: (d16spooler)

o ya and also....how do u check for bent valves....i know my **** about my car but this is the first time i have had this type of problem.....so i mean this is all fresh and new to me...i know what the springs are....the rods...the pistons.....but like when u open up the valve cover.....i become a virgin.......so how do u check for bent valves.....
? any certain tool or way to check?