Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Jumping Speedometer... CEL on... NEED HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jumping Speedometer... CEL on... NEED HELP!

so here is the story,

I finally got around to finishing my Bi-Xenon HID project. I wired up my TL Bi-Xenons and everything seemed to be ok..... Until,

I started my car tonight and my CEL lit up..... First i thought it was nothing because i was playing with my today also, but then i went to move my car and my Speedo started jumping like CRAZY.

I did some searching and thought it might be a bad connection to my VSS but it seems to be on tight, then i was thinking it was a bad ground, but the only ground i messed with today was when i grounded my TL selinoids, but that ground seems find. i also checked the fuses for the SP sensor (which i would think is the VSS) and that seemed fine.

So then i went to auto zone to have them scan my ECU and it said i was throwing a code for a O2 sensor (location 1, where ever that is).

What could be doing this? I did run wires thru the driver side part of the firewall near the fuses, could that have messed with anything?

PLEASE.... i'm at a loss, and I need HELP!!!!!
Old 05-18-2007, 07:47 AM

bump........

anyone?
Old 05-18-2007, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Jumping Speedometer... CEL on... NEED HELP! (JDMhatchback20)

The CEL is your primary o2 sensor, the one in the header/manifold.

The speed could be related to a <u>faulty</u> VSS. Change it with a different one and see if the problem persists.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^what he said

plus more in depth.

personally, i dont think the CEL being on has anything to do with you installing your HIDs. could very well be coincidence...

i'd say double check your wiring just to make sure nothing got nicked when you were installing your HIDs, and give a thorough visual inspection to make sure everything is as it should be.

after that, i'd start testing components. location 1 for the O2S is the most forward O2S, which is on the exhaust manifold. double check the wiring to make sure all is well. then bust out your multimeter and start taking some readings. you will want to back probe the O2S connector to take your readings so you dont damage connector itself.

set your DMM to millivolts and see what it says. if the engine is cold, the fuel system will be in closed loop, so it will be running on the rich side. so you will be getting readings 800mV range. it will be constantly changing so it wont get a straight reading... obviously you wont unless you are using a DSO, which is what i would prefer if you have access to one and someone that knows how to use it. SO, with a DMM if the O2S is good will be reading in the 450-550mV range. if it reads flat 0 or 1000mV then the O2S is blatantly bad, slap a new one in there.

if those check out, then with KOEO, check to see your are getting your reference voltage (5V), and voltage to the heater, as well as check for voltage drop across the ground wire. which will be minimal if anything at all.

from those diagnostics, you will be able to get rid of the CEL and fix that problem.

as for the jumping speedometer, go get some electrical cleaner and some di-electric grease. clean out the inside of both connectors, and put a little grease in there, and put it back together. see if that fixes your problem. although, the VSS itself could be bad. the PCM displays emissions CELs before it will post other CELs... good ol emission standards.

so good luck and hope that takes care of your problem or at least gets you headed in the right direction. if nothing else, do as said above, replace the VSS with a known good one to see if that is the problem AFTER cleaning the connector, and swap out the O2S to see if that fixes it. i just like to test components before going and buying the parts.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:30 AM

Well, i did some more investigating and saw that there was a black/white wire that was ripped out, must have been when i was running wire thru the firewall for the highbeams.

As far as the black/white wire, i THINK its for the alternator/sp sensor. I think it was holding on by a strand which may be why the speedo was freaking out and why it seemed my interior lights were dim and my windows were hard to roll down. Now that its disconnected my CAR WON'T START!

now, i'm not very good at reading the wiring diagrams in the hynes manual, so if anyone can confirm what wire the black/white is, that would be great.
Its part of the main group coming in thru the firewall on the drivers side.