Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Issue with old gas...

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 07:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Issue with old gas...

I bought an EM1 that has been sitting for who knows how long before I bought it because the jdm b16 that was in it dropped a valve and was never repaired/replaced... I bought it b/c I had just flipped my EJ8 and needed a new home for the built Y8... I dropped the motor in it, started it and the was a fuel leak at the fuel filter, and boy did it stink like something other than gas... It ran fine for about 10 miles and started missing when under a load and I know it's the rotten gas that's in it..

Tonight I pulled the fuel pump assy out and found rust colored gunk all over the base of the pump,near the sock and all in the cradle where the pump sits but a near empty tank...

My questions are...

Should I fill the tank with fresh gas, add some HEET and Lucas fuel stabilizer and then replace the fuel filter after a few tanks, in hopes that the fresh fuel breaks the sludge up? I cleaned the pump with some brake cleaner and the sludge dissolved pretty easily...

Please excuse typos, I posted this from my iPhone4...
Old 07-27-2010, 09:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Issue with old gas...

I went and filled it up with gas and it runs fine
Old 07-27-2010, 11:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know its a little late to respond but alot of fuel injected cars dont like bad gas just run through the tank usually people siphon out the bad gas becuase good gas doesnt make bad gas good so you may notice a performance increase when you have all good gas and If im not mistaken SI requires premium fuel
Old 07-28-2010, 01:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 97ej6dx
I know its a little late to respond but alot of fuel injected cars dont like bad gas just run through the tank usually people siphon out the bad gas becuase good gas doesnt make bad gas good so you may notice a performance increase when you have all good gas and If im not mistaken SI requires premium fuel
Y8's aren't SI's.........
Old 07-28-2010, 03:14 AM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I would have just drained the tank. Doesn't get all the sediment and crap out but it's better than just leaving all that stuff in there. A siphon is not so good for removing that stuff at all.

I run that old gas through my lawn mower. It doesn't care.

Old 07-28-2010, 03:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mcvtec
I would have just drained the tank. Doesn't get all the sediment and crap out but it's better than just leaving all that stuff in there. A siphon is not so good for removing that stuff at all.

I run that old gas through my lawn mower. It doesn't care.

Lol I run the old stuff in my lawnmower too

What we used to do is remove the tank after we drain the old stuff, put some gravel in the tank with a little bit of new gas and shake the tank...it breaks up all the rust and junk then drain it again

In your case though I would just drain it fill with new and change the filter and you should be good