Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

irratic idling when the A/C is on???

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2004, 12:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default irratic idling when the A/C is on???

Well, my car seems to be running fine. Regularly, it idles low but I'm not too concerend about that. Everything seems fine but when the A/C is on, it works but I keep hearing clicks from the engine bay.

I popped the hood and tried to see where it was coming from. The A/C fan is on, so I know it's not the switch. But the sound seems like it's coming from the compressor as if it was shutting on and off, off and on.

When I hear that click, I also notice another sound, which sounds like something is sucking up air or releasing air.

Now the problem is..

When I'm driving, I can also feel it when I hear those "clicks". It feels slugish for a split second, and then normal again as if the A/C was turned off and on rapidly. When I come to a stop, I still hear it and my idle fluctuates between 400-1000. If I turn off the A/C, it idles fine. When I turn it on again, it happens again. Does anyone know why it's happening? Or how to repair it?

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-02-2004, 02:17 PM

no one?
Old 11-02-2004, 02:22 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (TheIntegraGuy)

I had this problem before, buy my AC quit working all together. The idle fluctuating is normal, the AC compressor is just putting a slight load on the engine. As for a solution, I wish I knew. If I did my AC would still work. Bump for you.

Edit: You might want to check the freeon level. You might be running a little low.
Old 11-02-2004, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the click you hear is the electromagnetic clutch in the AC compressor, engaging.

it needs engine power to turn the pump so the idle speed drops from the extra load. completely normal.

the electro clutch will disengage when the thermostat sees the preset temperature, then engage when the temp is too warm.
Old 11-02-2004, 06:31 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the click you hear is the electromagnetic clutch in the AC compressor, engaging.
it needs engine power to turn the pump so the idle speed drops from the extra load. completely normal.

the electro clutch will disengage when the thermostat sees the preset temperature, then engage when the temp is too warm.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I understand that it's most likey normal to do that, but it does it more than it usually should compared to another car. It's irregular as if thte "electromagnetic clutch" can't decide whether or not to turn on or off.

Still, yet when the A/C is on, the idle fluctuates continuously up and down as if the IACV was stuck.
Old 11-02-2004, 06:35 PM
Vu

Default Re: (TheIntegraGuy)

Mine did this also. Everytime I hear a "click" the fan comes on, and the rpm drops.

To fix the problem, I took the IACV off and cleaned it. There is like two holes on the IACV assembly, one has a screen and it is most likely clogged. After cleaning it out, the rpm is more stable even with the extra load.
Old 11-03-2004, 08:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Vu)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Vu &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
To fix the problem, I took the IACV off and cleaned it. There is like two holes on the IACV assembly, one has a screen and it is most likely clogged. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i should try this.
Old 11-03-2004, 08:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

who needs A/C
Old 11-03-2004, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (slamdcivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slamdcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">who needs A/C</TD></TR></TABLE>
i do. i also have power steering and cruise control. I also have enough power to make the losses negligable
Old 11-03-2004, 09:36 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">who needs A/C</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you lived in CA in the summer, you'll understand. lol..