Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Intermittent no start problem (Fuel) 93 DX hatch

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent no start problem (Fuel) 93 DX hatch

First off, I searched, and couldn't find any answers in stone, and all of my friends are telling me different things.

I have a 93 Civic DX with the stock d15b7 in it. I have an intermittent no start problem sometimes with it, and I know for a fact it's fuel related. I just did a full tune up, oil change, wires, plugs, dizzy, cleaned grounds, etc. Most days my hatch starts up like a charm, but on some days (usually when I'm in a hurry, thank you god.) it will just crank and crank, with nothing. I notice when I have this problem, my fuel pump isn't priming, but once I beat on the back seat enough and toggle the ignition on and off, I can eventually get a couple half primes, eventually followed by a full prime which ends up starting my car.

FIRST THINGS FIRST... I bought the car from a salvage yard where it sat for at least 3 years. (probably with some nasty old gas in it)

NOW, I've been told that with a bad fuel pump, it's either going to prime, or not prime... not just sometimes prime. Now this leads me to think it might be the fuel pump relay. Another thing I noticed is that my car has some decent hesitation during acceleration, could this be in some way related? or is that just a completely different problem in which I need to change my fuel filter? Just before I go out and start changing a bunch of random stuff, I'd kind of like the honda-tech opinion.

Any additional questions, just ask. And no I don't have a volt/ohmmeter for testing.
Old 05-14-2010, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Intermittent no start problem (Fuel) 93 DX hatch

Fuel Main relay under the dash. I use to have to unplug/plug mine back in multiple times before it would start sometimes. I replaced it with new and never had a problem thereafter
Solder points in the relay wear out and will intermittently work/ not work. You can repair yours, source another from a junkyard, or just buy new from Honda
I have a good feeling that is your issue
Old 05-14-2010, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

and as for the hesitation upon acceleration...that could be alot of things. Start by checking the timing. Put a timing light on it and see where you are at.
Old 05-14-2010, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i agree with mr winky!
Old 05-14-2010, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I think anyone that owns an EF or EG will be replacing their mail relay at least once. Exactly behavior you're experiencing. Usually the car is warmed up when you have trouble starting it.

fm
Old 05-16-2010, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for all the info guys, appreciate it!!
Old 05-20-2010, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ohhhhh, and I also forgot to mention that I'm running a code for my TPS, could this sensor failing be a cause of hesitation as well? Also, is there any way to change that sensor without changing the whole throttle body? It looks like its "riveted?" on there some how.