Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

intercooler possibilties

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2004, 11:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default intercooler possibilties

Ok, I have done a little reading up and most information I see about intercoolers are that they are part of a turbo installation. Is it beneficial to install an intercooler with out a turbo. This would be inplace of a normal CAI, that can allow water in the system with rain and wet weather. I was thinking that I could buy an intercooler, run some pipe inside the engine bay and eliminate the chance for water in the system while gaining the benefits of cooler air intake. My real question is on the physics side. Will the intercoller only work with the turbo because it is pushing the air through the intercooler, or will a normal throttle body be able to such in enough air? Is an intercooler with out the turbo to restrictive on the intake? Any previous experience would be helpful, and insightful.
Thanks for your info.
elevtro
Old 07-10-2004, 11:57 AM

Default Re: intercooler possibilties (elevtro)

bump for good luck.
Old 07-10-2004, 12:19 PM

Default Re: intercooler possibilties (elevtro)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...=WDVW
Old 07-10-2004, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: intercooler possibilties (jdm_loser)

intercooler will be far too restrictive to make any significant difference, it'd probably make you lose power.
Old 07-10-2004, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: intercooler possibilties (Bambooseven)

An intercooler cools air down to ambient air temperature (yes, there are some air/water in an icebox setups for track use only, but I don't think that's what's being addressed here). In a turbo or supercharger setup the air is heated up by the compressor, so you use an intercooler to cool it back down so it is closer to ambient temperature. In a N/A setup, the air is not heated by any compressor, so the intercooler would have no effect other than as an impediment to air flow. Just use a CAI. If you worry about submerging your CAI and sucking up water, then get an air bypass valve (AEM makes one).
Old 07-10-2004, 01:11 PM
illicon2003

RMCdaniels is right.

For the record..A friend of mine ran for over a year without a bypass valve, had no problems. I ran for 3 months then put on the bypass for about 6..no problems either.
Old 07-10-2004, 01:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just something that made me think, has anyone ever played with filter locations? I know fender and bumper are normal but has anyone messed with other spots? has anyone tried a fender setup like on the mustangs and WRX. filer would easily fit behing the fender bahind the wheel. This would move the filer up far enough for you not to hvae to worry about water. Also has anyone tried using a flat filter and or maybe one of those frint mount intakes and messed with going the other way and running the intake up under the wiper cowel? on most cars there is a fair amount of unused space there. Just thinking.
Old 07-11-2004, 06:53 AM

Default Re: (upgraded)

Upgraded,
I have wondered the same thing and did find a 03 integra type-R that had this sweet set-up.

The only problem is that the inlet area looks a little small and restrictive. I have also been thinking about other possibilities based on that idea to go with this hood.

My original thinking was that with that hood, I could do an intercooler set-up with the air filter close to the scoop in the hood, but if that was too restrictive, then doing some kind of custom set-up that would use an air box type system, that would gather the air from the scoop, collect the water/moisture, and drain it out, before bringing the cooler air to the intake.
Of course, if none of that would make good air flow, then a nice short ram air type of set-up with the hood passing the cooler air to it.
Thanks all for you info about the intercooler.
Old 07-11-2004, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (elevtro)

damnnn that's a killa type AAAAAAARRRRRRRR
Old 07-11-2004, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BrokeAssPinoy)

w0w
Old 07-11-2004, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (upgraded)

if your talkng about the mustangs hood.. we have owned like 3, 00+ mustang GTs and 1 cobra.. the cobra is the only one that had functionial vents and they were for cooling.. all the GT'S just had fake vents..
Old 07-11-2004, 05:38 PM

Default Re: (JDM EJ1 95)

That hood is supposedly a Kaminari RAM-AIR hood from modcar.com. I would hope with the name of Ram-Air, it was a real vent and not just some crap for looks, but real functionality. Have you had real experiences with that hoos? If so, was it worth having that kind of hood and a short ram intake? I have also seen others were the vent is reversed and seemed to pull air from the windshield side, instead of being forced in while driving. I just hate how now I can really tell when the engine is warm, and I stop at a light, when first taking off, it will not have the greatest power until it starts sucking in the cooler air, which is the whole point of a CAI. I would like a real set-up that can get me the most cold air through the engine bay, and into my air intake.
Would a cheap AutoZone air intake be fine until I get the dough for a real Injen CAI or should I just save what I have until I can get the Injen? I am looking at either the Injen RD1550 with a new skunk 2 intake manifold or the stock manifold on a y7, with the Injen RD1540 intake.
I have seen the skunk2 for $250, and the Injen for $240, so that is over $500 shipped. Or $70 for now from Autozone, while I save the $500. I just hate to waste money, but I want a little more performance soon.
Thanks all