Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Instruction: rear disc brake installation on my 96 ex.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2006, 04:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Instruction: rear disc brake installation on my 96 ex.

can someone send me some instruction on installing abs brakes on my 96 ex. I'm tire of using drums.
Old 05-27-2006, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Instruction: rear disc brake installation on my 96 ex. (Hatchless96)

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=426445
Old 05-27-2006, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Instruction: rear disc brake installation on my 96 ex. (Hatchless96)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hatchless96 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">can someone send me some instruction on installing abs brakes on my 96 ex. I'm tire of using drums.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I'm a bit confused, as you stated "Rear Disc Brake Installation" in the Topic's Title, and then ask about "installing ABS Brakes" in your message body... all without telling us what you have ("96 ex" ain't enough to guide you better).

Based on your message body, it sounds like you have ABS, and want to swap your Rear Drums for Rear Discs, but...

Do you have ABS, or are you interested in adding ABS to your non-ABS vehicle? If so, you don't need Rear Disc Brakes to do this.
Are you interested in swapping your Rear Drums for Rear Discs? If so, the absence/presence of ABS, and whether you intend on maintaining/adding/removing it will greatly determine how to "properly" do so...

Could you more clearly articulate what it is you're trying to do, the Project Vehicle, and the Donor Vehicle (Year, Make, Model, Doors, Tranny, Trim Level, ABS/not... unless you're buying all new parts)?

Help us help you...
JasonGhostz
Old 05-28-2006, 01:30 AM

Sorry for not making it clear. I have a 96 civic ex coupe, 5 speed, and I want to swap my drums for discs. I don't know if I have asb or not, probably not. What kinds of disc brakes should I get? any reconmended brand?
Old 05-28-2006, 05:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

brembo blanks
Old 05-28-2006, 07:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hatchless96 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sorry for not making it clear. I have a 96 civic ex coupe, 5 speed, and I want to swap my drums for discs. I don't know if I have asb or not, probably not. What kinds of disc brakes should I get? any reconmended brand?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Look under your hood and if the brake lines run to a big alunimum block (NOT the thing on the firewall), then you have ABS. I'm guessing you dont. It was an option I believe but hardly any came with it.
You cant just go swapping off the drum for a disk either. You need the assembly like off of a 99-00 SI or Integra. For rotors, yea go with something cheap, like those brembo blanks.
Old 05-28-2006, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hatchless96 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have a 96 Civic EX Coupe, 5 Speed, and I want to swap my drums for discs. I don't know if I have ABS or not, probably not.</TD></TR></TABLE>The ABS Indicator Light is located between the Speedometer and Fuel/Temp Gauges, just to the right of the Trip Odometer Reset button. You don't even need to pop your Hood to check for the presence of ABS...

From what I'm reading in the Helm Service Manual for the 96-00 Civic, the ABS Indicator Light should light up when you put your Key in the "ON(II)" position, and turn off shortly after performing the Initial Diagnosis when the Engine starts... unless you have a problem. The ABS and Non-ABS models have different PNs for the Gauge Cluster Assembly (the "Visor" and Bulb).

... And, you can always find a REALLY BIG EMPTY PARKING LOT, bring your car to a moderate speed, and stand on the Brakes. If you can lock 'em up, then you probably don't have ABS (at least, one that functions properly). But if you feel a pulsation in your Brake Pedal, and can't lock-up, that'd be a good indication that the modulation of the ABS System is in effect.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hatchless96 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What kinds of disc brakes should I get? any reconmended brand?</TD></TR></TABLE>OEM Replacement Rotors (Brembo, AutoZone, etc.) are going to be the most cost effective options, unless you're looking for some bling for your Showcar. Cross-Drilled and/or Slotted Rotors aren't all they're "Cracked-Up" to be...

But you have a lot of options. The "best" thing for you to do is to emulate the EM1 (99-00 Civic SI), as you already have many of the components. The 94-01 Integra RS is also identical to this assembly (from the Spindle outward). Other Non-Type-R Integra models will have usable components, but are not the "same" as the EM1 (as the LS/GS-R models use ABS).

The following Write-Up compares the 99-00 Civic 2DR EX 5MT non-ABS with the 99-00 Civic SI. You can use it as a "Checklist" for what you might need. However, the 96 Civic 2DR EX 5MT non-ABS uses 46100-S04-A1<FONT COLOR="red">2</FONT> as its BMC, while the 99-00 SI uses 46100-S04-A1<FONT COLOR="red">4</FONT>. There may be other differences. In the least, it lists the major components of the EM1's Brake System...
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1625394
Be sure to check the links at the bottom of the Write-Up!!

But the bottom line is that Drums can be just as effective as Disc Brakes. There are plenty of Auto-Xers who run on Drums. What is it about your Drum Brakes that you don't like?

The time you spend Planning and Researching your project will greatly reduce the likelihood of problems during Installation and Operation. Keep your mind open, spend $$$$ wisely, and floss after every meal! GL!
JasonGhostz