Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Inner CV Seal Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Inner CV Seal Problem

I got some axles for my B16a civic a while ago, and since then I've had an oil leak at the passenger side axle seal, i let it go for a while, because the loss isnt very much, a few drips here and there. but heres the problem.

The axle when its fit in there, has a lot of axial play, i can move it up and down more than it should, I pulled the seal and the seal itself is good, but will be replaced now because it was pulled, it fits on the axle snug, but my concern lays with the inner joint, it has enough play to break the seal and let oil out, I dont know what kind of inner joint it has, but the axles are brand new pieces, not remans (or so the box says) I'm wondering what kind of inner joint I would need since this one is obviously not the right one. its a Y21 trans so im sure any b series inner would work, but id like to know what everyone else is using, so I can increase my chances of finding an inner, since finding an Si is practically impossible around here.

I'd also like to know if anyone else has had a similar problem.
Old 09-29-2006, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Inner CV Seal Problem (slowcivic2k)

do you have another axle you can try to see if it still does it?that'll pinpoint if it's the axle or the diff.
Chris
Old 09-30-2006, 02:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Inner CV Seal Problem (TeamNextGenChris)

the diff and carrier bearings are all good, after much poking and prodding around in there, the splines spiders and bearings are all good. the play is in the diameter of the axle itself, i dont know how much play is within service limit, but to me its too much, if i measured from center to max play on one axis, its around .5cm of play maybe a tad more.

Im gonna see if a steel seal fixes it, the OEM piece is a composite frame seal, the replacement piece is a steel shell, with a rubber seal of course, but made quite a bit different from the supposed "stock" piece. hopefully this might cure the problem, i just dont think its normal for a inboard joint to have so much play at the spline.

my question is what inner would be the best to try, practically speaking what are others using, because if this is a B series inner, i need to know which one, before i start raping the junkyard for inners, which ones will work, i know the GSR and Type R diffs are different, have a different bolt pattern than the LS/RS/GS and B16 trannys minus the CTR im thinking any nonvtec integra would be a good start, opinions?
Old 09-30-2006, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Inner CV Seal Problem (slowcivic2k)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slowcivic2k &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the diff and carrier bearings are all good, after much poking and prodding around in there, the splines spiders and bearings are all good. the play is in the diameter of the axle itself, i dont know how much play is within service limit, but to me its too much, if i measured from center to max play on one axis, its around .5cm of play maybe a tad more.

Im gonna see if a steel seal fixes it, the OEM piece is a composite frame seal, the replacement piece is a steel shell, with a rubber seal of course, but made quite a bit different from the supposed "stock" piece. hopefully this might cure the problem, i just dont think its normal for a inboard joint to have so much play at the spline.

my question is what inner would be the best to try, practically speaking what are others using, because if this is a B series inner, i need to know which one, before i start raping the junkyard for inners, which ones will work, i know the GSR and Type R diffs are different, have a different bolt pattern than the LS/RS/GS and B16 trannys minus the CTR im thinking any nonvtec integra would be a good start, opinions?</TD></TR></TABLE>
the inner hub on all those axles is the same.sounds like you just have a worn out one.i'd definitely replace the axle though-that steel seal may work for a while,but once it starts leaking and you lose all your fluid...then you've got a whole nother bigger problem.
Chris
Old 10-02-2006, 05:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Inner CV Seal Problem (TeamNextGenChris)

okay, so here it goes again, those axles are new, and there is no wear whatsoever on them. I just though of something today, I went and took the oil seal off, and the filler bolt, and noticed something. the oil will pour out of the seal hole with no seal in it, so i figured it might be overfilled. so i drained my honda MTF, in exchange for some penzoil 10w30. i put two quarts in there, and noticed that it didnt reach the bottom of the seal hole, so it wasnt leaking, even without the seal in there, question is, would just a bit too much cause a leak like this? the drain plug and the bottom of the seal hole looks to be at the same level height wise on the tranny.
it had about two quarts of oil, each container full to the top, plus whatever didnt come out of the tranny. Ive noticed that it doesnt leak near as bad now, if at all, id like to know how much oil everyone else has put in, i had the same problem with my d16y8 tranny, i think i overfilled it, id like to know what everyone else thinks.