Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Idle Problem, clean IACV, adjusted Idle set screw

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idle Problem, clean IACV, adjusted Idle set screw

Alright so lately my idle has been dropping to around 300-400 RPM, I cleaned my IACV and cleaned my throttle body. That didn't work so i adjusted my idle set screw, that actually worked really well for about a week, then it started dropping to 300-400 again, so I adjusted it again and same result works good for about a week then drops back down.

My friend said that I might have a leak somewhere? like around the throttle body or some hose?
or is something wrong with my actual screw?

what do you guys think? this ever happened to you before?
Old 03-16-2009, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Idle Problem, clean IACV, adjusted Idle set screw

to check for a vacuum leak remove your air cleaner and cover the thottle body the engine should die if it doesn't you have a vacuum leak. But usually vacuum leaks cause a high or jumpy idle. Does it do it after it has been warmed up or before or both?
Old 03-16-2009, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay so if I cover the throttle body the engine should die, if not I have a leak.. cool.

One possible leak I could think of is when my friend and I took off my IACV or at least I think its a IACV, (has 4 bolts electrical plug, and 2 hoses) (and is front of the throttle body) My friend accidently broke 1 of bolts that connect it to the throttle body, but i figured that would really do anything because theres still 3 bolts holding it on.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:59 PM
New User

hey guys. im new in honda-tech. i also have a similar issue. i cleaned the IACV as well.
in your case, if its still doesn't work, try cleaning your FITV. i cleaned mine too but its still didn't help.

i drive a 95 5th generation accord with f22vtec swap.
in my situation, the idle is normal. doesn't rev up and down. tho after driving for a while, the rpm is over 1000rpm at stop. even if i turn the engine off and turn it back on, its still the same. its like that the whole time at a normal driving situation. when i drive a lil more aggresive at higher rpm but not over 4500, eventually it starts to rev up and down. cleaned IACV and FITV already and still the same. your help is much appreciated. thank you.

Last edited by markano; 03-16-2009 at 08:14 PM. Reason: forgot to put which car i drive
Old 03-17-2009, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by dth0ng69
Okay so if I cover the throttle body the engine should die, if not I have a leak.. cool.

One possible leak I could think of is when my friend and I took off my IACV or at least I think its a IACV, (has 4 bolts electrical plug, and 2 hoses) (and is front of the throttle body) My friend accidently broke 1 of bolts that connect it to the throttle body, but i figured that would really do anything because theres still 3 bolts holding it on.
The IACV has coolant running through it. So you would have a coolant leak if that was the case. Unless I missed it, what engine do you have? I used to have a d16y7 and just blocked the IACV and left it connected which caused me to have a lower idle even with the idle screw almost all the way out. So that leads me to believe that your IACV isn't allowing enough air in at idle. Try a good cleaning and see what happens.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by markano
hey guys. im new in honda-tech. i also have a similar issue. i cleaned the IACV as well.
in your case, if its still doesn't work, try cleaning your FITV. i cleaned mine too but its still didn't help.
The fitv only affects the idle before the engine is warmed up, does it do it after it is warmed up or before and is it jumpy. The other possible thing is o2 sensor can mess with the idle if it is going bad, right now i have a similiar problem and i noticed that it will almost go away if i clean my o2 sensor. Do you have any cels

BTW markano you should start your own thread instead of jacking this one It would help you much more in solving your problem. But did you correctly adjust the fitv after you cleaned, also your situation is pretty similiar to mine so i would really recommend checking the o2 sensor use this link to check it http://mr2.com/TEXT/O2_Sensor.html

Last edited by joelmatt89; 03-17-2009 at 09:48 AM.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:31 PM
New User

hahaha. thanx joel. since that u mentioned it. i will now.
thanx