Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

idle problem, A/C idle, bouncing idle desperate for help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default idle problem, A/C idle, bouncing idle desperate for help!!!

Hi Guys

I hope you bear up with me on this one as there are many symptoms and I shall try to describe them all ...for you to assist me. Please try to follow the few scenarios that happen

In short, I have an idle problem!

The car starts fine first time everytime no problem. The Idle is at 1500-2000 then it drops to 800 when the car warms up. Sounds good to me. Now sometimes it doesn't drop to 800. It stays at 1200 then with a long run and late shifting it drops down to the 800 but again sometimes even after that it does not drop. Anyway, that's one symptom!

Now to the annoying one, when I start the A/C (it is too hot here in Egypt now). after a minute or two, when I'm driving, pressing the clutch, the RPM falls down like it jumped off a building, it drops to reach 100 revs which makes the car shiver and sometimes it drops to 0 revs and the engine stops! when it drops to 100 revs, if I press the accelerator to account for that fall before it stalls the engine, it is too hard for the car to pick up the revs again.

I have taken out my IACV, cleaned it and put it again. Same problem
I have tried few other IACV (used ones from a friend who owns a Honda used spare parts shop) so no guarantee they are working. No change
The new IACV is out of the question as it is over 1600 pounds here compared to 150 for the used one (if found working!)

I have also attempted checking the TPS but no luck.
For your reference, the car used to overheat more than usual but I changed the radiator and that overheating problem is now fixed but I'm still left behind with the Idle problem. Any suggestions???