Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

idle mussed up

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2002, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default idle mussed up

im having some trouble here my car is idling too low it feels like its gonna stall does anyone know how to adjust the idleon my 00 civic coupe dx?
Old 05-25-2002, 04:01 PM

Default Re: idle mussed up (MetalKill)

come on guys this is important and i know you can help me
Old 05-25-2002, 04:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there is a screw on your throttle body that you need to mess with to adjust your idle. Then reset your ecu, and you should be fine.
Old 05-25-2002, 05:01 PM

Default Re: idle mussed up (Bakeoff)

I've had this same problem too. I don't think it's my throttle cable though because I have adjusted that. It idles REALLY low (sometimes it looks like it's resting on 0rpm) at almost EVERY stop, but it nearly or sometimes DOES stall on me after I drive it hard for a distance. Could I have some type of leak? Am I just flooding the engine? What's the deal?

[Modified by SOHCam, 8:04 PM 5/25/2002]
Old 05-25-2002, 05:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: idle mussed up (SOHCam)

it's never going to be the throttle cable. It's somethign with air or fuel delivery. Most times it's the air. Take the hose for your intake off. There are two holes in the throttle body. When you start it cold, there should be air sucking in from one, normally the top. Once it gets up to running temp, I belive it stops sucking through there. You might have a crappy connection on your map sensor, or a bad vaccum line.
Old 05-25-2002, 05:29 PM

well i did put a 5in intake on and i do believe thats when this problem started, do you think i can just adjust the idle and be ok am i screwed or will resetting the ecu fix it?
Old 05-25-2002, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

there is a screw on your throttle body that you need to mess with to adjust your idle. Then reset your ecu, and you should be fine.
Old 05-25-2002, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: idle mussed up (civicgsr94)

my car idles shitty too..... Where exacly is this screw at????
Old 05-25-2002, 06:28 PM

Default Re: idle mussed up (Boost Pressure)

yeah im wondering the same thing i tryed to look and didnt see it btw: boost your from wpb too is your car the orangy color hx around the winn dixie?
Old 05-25-2002, 07:20 PM

Old 05-25-2002, 08:22 PM

IAC vavle
Old 05-26-2002, 12:54 AM

Default Re: idle mussed up (Boost Friendly)

i got a HONDA repair manual, and it covers DX-Si, and on the DX, and LX here is what you do. let the car idle until the cooling fan comes on 3 times, (that way you know it's warm) check the idle.... turn the car off, take the key out! unplug the wires from you throttle body, start the car (it will start very rough... dont give it any gas) check the idle again, adjust is as needed buy turning the screw, (which may be covered by a grey rubber cement type substance-- peel it off-- make only 1/4 turn adjustsments each time, let the car adjust, and check the idle again... after you have it how you want turn the car off, take the key out, and plug that set of wires back into the intake manafold/throttle body deal. then to reset your ECU take out your "back up fuse" 7.5amp one for 10 sec, put it back in and your good to go. test drive it though... drive it nice for a bit, then run the hell out of it... see where your idle is then, run your AC, and Heater (heater on should make idle drop 50 rpms) just make sure your engine speed is good for everyday driving too... hope that helps...
Old 05-26-2002, 12:23 PM

Default Re: idle mussed up (civicsportline)

i got a HONDA repair manual, and it covers DX-Si, and on the DX, and LX here is what you do. let the car idle until the cooling fan comes on 3 times, (that way you know it's warm) check the idle.... turn the car off, take the key out! unplug the wires from you throttle body, start the car (it will start very rough... dont give it any gas) check the idle again, adjust is as needed buy turning the screw, (which may be covered by a grey rubber cement type substance-- peel it off-- make only 1/4 turn adjustsments each time, let the car adjust, and check the idle again... after you have it how you want turn the car off, take the key out, and plug that set of wires back into the intake manafold/throttle body deal. then to reset your ECU take out your "back up fuse" 7.5amp one for 10 sec, put it back in and your good to go. test drive it though... drive it nice for a bit, then run the hell out of it... see where your idle is then, run your AC, and Heater (heater on should make idle drop 50 rpms) just make sure your engine speed is good for everyday driving too... hope that helps...
and for the EX?
Old 05-26-2002, 01:43 PM

Default Re: idle mussed up (SOHCam)

i have an 00' EX. you leave that wire set up connected to your IAC Valve sensor thing..(wires connected to your throttle body ... has tiny little letters that say denso on it...??) anywho.. same thing but take it out and drive it hard, pull into your drive way, pop the hood wait a minute or 2, and turn the little screw counter clockwise if you want to speed up your idle, and clock wise to lower it. a little hint: turn off your car (when the engine is cold) take the whole screw out, it had a lot of build up on it, when i cleaned it off i didn't have to open it up as much to keep the idle a bit higher). then turn the car off, open your fuse box, take out the 7.5amp fuse (it's the back-up fuse i think...) count to 10 (1 bannana, 2 bananna.... you know? if you keep the fuse out any longer than you have to reset your clock, and put in yout CD Player code) then put it back in. start the car. with bolt on mods, dont go any higher then 750rpms. i keep mine at 700 and it gives me enough crap. stock is 670 +/- 50rpms at idle. But if you can't find your screw, mine was covered by a grey colored rubber cement type substance... cut it ALL out, clean it out good before you start your car to prevent any of it from being sucked into your motor. the screw should be just left of the wire cluster on your throttle body deal.

[Modified by civicsportline, 10:45 PM 5/26/2002]
Old 05-26-2002, 01:48 PM

Oh and SOHCam, i read your other post up there... and mine rests sometimes on what looks like 0 too, it didnt do that until i put on a header and cat-back. so... i dont know... im trying to figure it out now.. nobody really knows... I took it to honda, and they didn't know either. ah well.. once you start putting mods on your car... its going to run like crap until its really warmed up.
Old 05-26-2002, 09:53 PM

has anyone ever heard of getting a vacume leak after taking off that grey rubber stuff? someone in another post said they had a vacume leak from that....