Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Ideas & Advice For my EG B18b

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 12:29 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ideas & Advice For my EG B18b

Hi guys I'm new on the site and I'm from South Africa. I have a Honda Ballade 180i. I'm not really too clued up on the technical side of cars and well... I need advice and ideas. I want my car to be fast and reliable without paying an arm and a leg to do it.

Realistically I know I have to dish out the cash to do so, so either way lets hear the ideas? What ever build you guys give me please let me know what is needed for the build? Is it possible to achieve between 200 and 250kw on a n/a build without turbos or a supercharger?

Any advice and ideas would be REALLY great.

Thanks in advance!

PS: I bought the car about 3 months ago
Old 12-09-2009, 12:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Ideas & Advice For my EG B18b

Without paying an arm and a leg? N/A more than likely never going to happen.
You said your not that good with car tech so you'd pay for all the parts AND labor; and for n/a you're looking at alot of custom work and expensive parts.

Just turbo.

Remember cheap, fast, reliable n/a is n/a (as in not available)
Old 12-09-2009, 01:02 AM
New User

Originally Posted by fastrxu
Without paying an arm and a leg? N/A more than likely never going to happen.
You said your not that good with car tech so you'd pay for all the parts AND labor; and for n/a you're looking at alot of custom work and expensive parts.

Just turbo.

Remember cheap, fast, reliable n/a is n/a (as in not available)
yeah i would pay that since i dont know the technical side of things which is unfortunate. Ok so the 200 - 250kw was just a question, but not what i was aiming at. Just wanted to know if its possible. Are Turbos reliable? What about maintenance on it? My friend has a twincam and is supercharged so i noticed everytime he has to start up his car he has to do it a certain way. It doesnt start up normally.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

They are reliable if buy a kit or peice a kit together with reliable parts. Most engines can run on 8 lbs of boost with a good tune for awhile. But 200-250 for a N/A Engine is going to be a hole heck of alot more than Turbo'ing.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:43 AM
New User

Originally Posted by EdSales
They are reliable if buy a kit or peice a kit together with reliable parts. Most engines can run on 8 lbs of boost with a good tune for awhile. But 200-250 for a N/A Engine is going to be a hole heck of alot more than Turbo'ing.
oh ok thats kool to hear. So do you have a setup I could consider? With reliability and power in mind?
Old 12-09-2009, 05:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

b18b? So you have an LS? They are great for boost. Many beginning turbo setups use T25/28 turbo or DSM 16g. they are small and will give you some power without being crazy to drive. I recommend you do reading about turbos and car modification in general otherwise you will be spending a fortune. In the US at least, a decent turbo kit can be put together for $1500-2500 (notice I say decent meaning quality parts, reliable etc. not some hack job that many people like to do) Turbos setups are great because you can start small and as you get used to it you can build the engine and turn up the boost as your wants increase. Do some research on turbos and check the forced induction forum here.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:19 AM
New User

Originally Posted by alphalanos
b18b? So you have an LS? They are great for boost. Many beginning turbo setups use T25/28 turbo or DSM 16g. they are small and will give you some power without being crazy to drive. I recommend you do reading about turbos and car modification in general otherwise you will be spending a fortune. In the US at least, a decent turbo kit can be put together for $1500-2500 (notice I say decent meaning quality parts, reliable etc. not some hack job that many people like to do) Turbos setups are great because you can start small and as you get used to it you can build the engine and turn up the boost as your wants increase. Do some research on turbos and check the forced induction forum here.
Mine is the B18B3, EG shape 95 model. I would do turbo on my car, but wont go down that road just yet, but what minor stuff can I do to push it a bit more? A friend of mine says I should buy a Vtec head, Vtec Pistons and Vtec box and have it put installed for extra power and torque?