Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

IACV Cleaned and now car wants to die?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default IACV Cleaned and now car wants to die?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Decided to check out the IACV today and sure enough it was black and filled with deposits. So I took it off the back of the manifold, poured carb cleaner in both of the holes and let it soak for about a minute or two and then I let it come out of the holes. I did again and once the second time was done, I took a paper towel and wiped off what i could of the deposits till the whole things was clean as a bell. Hooked it back up to the car and when I turned it on, It slowly idled up to the normal warming up rpms. You could smell the carb cleaner a little. So then I turned it off, went and mowed the lawn and then headed out for work. Drove up the first stop sign, idled like normal. Than drove up to the next stop sign and then the car just slowly died till it turned off and my oil and battery light turned on. So I'm thinking yeah, it just choked it self so I start it back up and it idled fine. Decided to give it a bit of a spirited drive so I hit vtec once in second and then shifted twice at 5k till I got till 60. I was thinking this would clear the cleaner out for good. Came to the nearest intersectiona and when I stopped, it slowly died again.

So what's going on here?
Old 07-07-2007, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: IACV Cleaned and now car wants to die? (Shaguar47)

I need help here cause I can't keep restarting my car everytime I stop. It just plain sucks.
Old 07-07-2007, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: IACV Cleaned and now car wants to die? (Shaguar47)

Check your PCV system, the engine gets 40% or so of its idle air from this valve if it is clogged, your car will stall out, easier way to check your whole idle system:

Unplug the IACV at a full warm idle, it should maintain a shitty 400-450rpm idle, and almost want to die, if it does die, or peter slowly down and die, you have a restriction in either the PCV or IACV.

Does this car have an FITV on it that also have coolant going through it for fast idle, the IACV is not for fast idle. Normally mounted on the bottom of the throttle body. THese can get out of adjustment sometimes, but I don't think the FITV would cause this.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, the car doesn't die on me any more but I did check out a few things today.

First off, when I unplug the IACV when the car is warmed up @ idle, it completely dies. Should the Check engine light come on, cause it didn't for me?

Secondly, I tried pinching the PCV hose but heard no clicking. How loud of a click should I hear or what?

I check something is going on here.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (Shaguar47)

Bad PCV valve, it should rattle, if the line and valve are caked with oil, this is a good indication it needs to be either cleaned or replaced, I'm pretty sure that is your problem.