Notices

Car died suddenly last night.... again... details inside

Old 07-22-2006, 08:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car died suddenly last night.... again... details inside

So lastnight Im out for a cruise with a friend in his mustang GT. I gave my car a pretty good shakedown and Im sure things were starting to get pretty hot (I know my brakes were!). I was coasting to a stop and notice my oil light come on and 0 revs.

I try to start it up and nothing. Try it with my foot on the gas and it grumbles a bit, sounds like its missfiring and dies. We push it to the nearest parking lot and I call a tow truck. Truck shows up, we try starting it again and MAGIC, it fires up like nothing was ever wrong and I drive it home.

Now important details leading up to this:

- Car was being run hard
- Idle had started surging occasionally over past four days

- A similar thing had happened before! A couple weeks ago it died and wouldnt start, again whil waiting for a tow I tried again after about 30min and it fired right up. It died again later that day and wouldnt start. I changed the fast idle and IACV and it was running fine until last night.

Now, any suggestions as to why the hell this is happening? It seems that it starts once it cools down so Im wondering if it might have to do with the fast idle control valve again??? I know its not ECU related as Ive tried two.
Old 07-22-2006, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car died suddenly last night.... again... details inside (OrangeBoost)

im putting my money on your coil..... I had the same problem when I was running a MSD Blaster SS Coil. what kind of coil are you running?
Old 07-22-2006, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car died suddenly last night.... again... details inside (BoostedEG6)

yup happened to me too its the coil when it cools down it will start up but as it gets hot it will shut off once again
Old 07-22-2006, 08:30 AM

Im just running the stock one. I have a borrowed dizzy lieing around but since the problem is intermittent how do I know for sure?
Old 07-22-2006, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (OrangeBoost)

Change the Dizzy and drive it around on that and see if it does it again or not. I am betting that it wont do it if you change the dizzy
Old 07-22-2006, 08:40 AM

Im gonna drive it with this one on, and see what happens but Im gonna keep the spare in the back seat just in case.

So no one thinks this could be at all related to the idle issue?
Old 07-22-2006, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (OrangeBoost)

The surging is probably due to a bad IACV. Take it off and clean it and see if that helps
Old 07-22-2006, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car died suddenly last night.... again... details inside (OrangeBoost)

Did you check for spark?
Old 07-22-2006, 09:13 AM

i fixed a buddys car with the same problem no start when hot let the car cool down and it would start replaced the main relay and has never had a problem since it has been about 2 yrs now
Old 07-22-2006, 10:29 AM

Default Re: Car died suddenly last night.... again... details inside (0x64)

Obviously I have spark, because it fires and I drove it home.

Ill check out the main relay thing.

IACV was cleaned AND replaced just weeks ago.
Old 07-22-2006, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by OrangeBoost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Obviously I have spark, because it fires and I drove it home.

Ill check out the main relay thing.

IACV was cleaned AND replaced just weeks ago.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Reading comprehension no good when I am working in the sun. Good luck
Old 07-31-2006, 03:01 PM

Default Re: Car died suddenly last night.... again... details inside (0x64)

So last night the same thing happens.

Today I swap for known good dizzy...doesnt start.

Tighten up the plug in the Fast Idle Valve and it fires up right away. I jumper the diag plug to set my timing and as Im setting it the car stalls. I try to start it again only to have it backfire and die. It shot wet black crap about 4 feet.

Im out of ideas now and just about ready to give up...theres fuel ...theres spark... so am I lacking air for some reason? Bah......
Old 07-31-2006, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i had a very similar problem with my car last week. it'd run for awhile and then sputter and die suddenly. i'd try to start and it'd kinda rumble like you said, but wouldnt start. or it'd start and cut right off. cold starts were fine, and when it DID start, it'd fire up like nothing was wrong with it until the problem started...

i changed the main relay, same issue. in my case, turned out to be a bad map sensor (i have a 3bar). actually it turned out to be faulty wiring...cuz i replaced the map sensor, but the car would cut off when i'd jiggle it on the harness (on the firewall). i got the wiring redone on the harness and that solved my problem...

so you might wanna check out your map sensor or main relay - i got my map sensor for like $60 or so from NOPI...and the main relay was $50 from a local acura dealer. maybe swap sensors with another boosted integra and see if that solves your prob...

good luck
Old 08-01-2006, 05:13 AM

Im def gonna give that a shot. I am also running a 3 bar and wired the harness myself.

Ill pull it apart tonight and re-wire it.

Hope this fixes it!