Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

I NEED HELP WITH MY D SERIES SWAP ASAP DOING SWAP TOMORROW MORNING

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I NEED HELP WITH MY D SERIES SWAP ASAP DOING SWAP TOMORROW MORNING

I HAVE A 96 EX COUPE OBD2 AUTOMATIC AND I HAVE A 95 DX MOTOR OBD1 THAT I WANT TO PUT IN IT BECAUSE THE EX MOTOR BLEW. I WAS WONDERING IF IT WOULD WORK AND BE COMPADABLE. DO I NEED A NEW DISTRIBUTOR AND ECU AND IF SO WHICH ONE DO I GET? I AM DOING THE SWAP TOMORROW MORNING SO I WOULD LIKE FEEDBACK ASAP
Old 03-14-2008, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: I NEED HELP WITH MY D SERIES SWAP ASAP DOING SWAP TOMORROW MORNING (SL0-hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SL0-hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I HAVE A 96 EX COUPE OBD2 AUTOMATIC AND I HAVE A 95 DX MOTOR OBD1 THAT I WANT TO PUT IN IT BECAUSE THE EX MOTOR BLEW. I WAS WONDERING IF IT WOULD WORK AND BE COMPADABLE. DO I NEED A NEW DISTRIBUTOR AND ECU AND IF SO WHICH ONE DO I GET? I AM DOING THE SWAP TOMORROW MORNING SO I WOULD LIKE FEEDBACK ASAP</TD></TR></TABLE>

YOU'RE SCREWED!

ECU is completely wrong, OBD is wrong, Dizzy is wrong, but might work...

You need to get a OBD1 automatic P06 ECU, and a OBD2a to OBD1 Jumper harness.

You should use the full wiring harness that came with the 95 motor and just plug it into the shock tower braces.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: I NEED HELP WITH MY D SERIES SWAP ASAP DOING SWAP TOMORROW MORNING (SL0-hatch)

Well your not totally screwed, because he (above me) pretty much has your answer. You'll need the jumper and such.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:44 PM

Default Re: I NEED HELP WITH MY D SERIES SWAP ASAP DOING SWAP TOMORROW MORNING (z6hatchboy)

lol.... big reason why people should research before they do s.hit like this. lol
Old 03-14-2008, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I NEED HELP WITH MY D SERIES SWAP ASAP DOING SWAP TOMORROW MORNING (z6hatchboy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by z6hatchboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well your not totally screwed, because he (above me) pretty much has your answer. You'll need the jumper and such.</TD></TR></TABLE>

He's screwed IMO because last time I checked you can't get a jumper harness overnighted when its already 8PM.

Otherwise, yea, you need what I mentioned above.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:10 PM

plus as far as understand the laws you can't go backwards in years of engines and still stay legal (this may be just a maine thing tho)
Old 03-14-2008, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: I NEED HELP WITH MY D SERIES SWAP ASAP DOING SWAP TOMORROW MORNING (Dasfinc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dasfinc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

He's screwed IMO because last time I checked you can't get a jumper harness overnighted when its already 8PM.

Otherwise, yea, you need what I mentioned above.</TD></TR></TABLE>
You can if its from japannnnnn ,lol. But if he has both harness's he might can make one if he finds the diy for it.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eg8tuner &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">plus as far as understand the laws you can't go backwards in years of engines and still stay legal (this may be just a maine thing tho)</TD></TR></TABLE>
That might be a Maine thing, cause down here in VA it doesnt matter what you do.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (eg8tuner)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eg8tuner &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">plus as far as understand the laws you can't go backwards in years of engines and still stay legal (this may be just a maine thing tho)</TD></TR></TABLE>

That law is also in California, Not here in IL though.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Dont listen to any of these people because they are not giving you any detials on what you need 1st use your ex Distributor also you want to use your civic ex intake manifold with all the fuel rail and injectors so the vacum lines and fuel lines match you the only thing is get a new intake manifold gasket. The only thing they were right about was the check engine light because this motor is not vtec the check engine light will turn on but you can and will be able to turn on that motor with no problem you will just have the eye sore of the CEL. Ive done these swaps with no problem before The only reason i dont tell you to get a 96 dx ecu is because they have the crank fluctuation sensor. About the distributor it will not line up properly but it will clip to your factory harness it will go in you just have to find a way to lock in your other option is msd makes a obd 2 to obd1 conversion harness its not that cheap though its like 45 but if you have the dx motor harness or if you are comfortable doing this look at the the dizzy the obd1 has 2 clips the obd2 has 1 larger clip look at the color of the wires they are all the same you can swap they clips not hard to do but it is time consuming but if done properly will work with no problem all you need is a honda book it tells you what color wires go exactly where or get a note book draw the clip number the pin positions and write what wires go where like I said not hard just time consuming also if you do get another ex or a newer dx motor 1.6 you can keep your head to do the mini vtec swap the 1.5 swap is easy just take your ex head and put it on the dx block bolts right up dont know how your skills are if you were to do that all you need is the head gasket and your top will bolt to the dx bottom many problems would be solved a head gasket is about 60 to 80 bucks but you have to retime the motor 1 very small problem remember that crank fluctuation sensor the old motor dosent have it and i have never tried to swap it to the older motor so you might need the obd2 to obd jumper harness let me know what happens Please do not spice dizzy wires you can really [freak] things up And just so The daisfinc whatever that guys name is the obd1 motor harness and the obd2 are completely different when you go to plug them up there are not and have never been able to clip to each other so you shouldnt be posting anything for help.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:31 PM

SLVRCVC93 is right!!I did this **** left and right the dizzy wries are the same for obd1 and 2 just interchange the clips with wire colors. LIKE nike says
"JUST DO IT"
Old 03-14-2008, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I NEED HELP WITH MY D SERIES SWAP ASAP DOING SWAP TOMORROW MORNING (slvrcvc93)

Slvrcvc93...

Dude, You have NO idea what you the [freak] you are talking about....

Originally Posted by slvrcvc93
Dont listen to any of these people because they are not giving you any detials on what you need 1st use your ex Distributor also you want to use your civic ex intake manifold with all the fuel rail and injectors so the vacum lines and fuel lines match you the only thing is get a new intake manifold gasket.
Don't [freak]ing over-complicate this ****, There is no need to use the EX manifold, or EX dizzy... ENGINE WIRING HARNESS ARE CROSS COMPATIBLE FROM 92-00

Thats why the 1996 OBD2 Acura engine plugged DIRECTLY into my 92 hatch, the connections in the motor bay ARE THE SAME, Drop in the D15, Plug in the OBD1 wiring harness that came with that motor.

The only thing they were right about was the check engine light because this motor is not vtec the check engine light will turn on but you can and will be able to turn on that motor with no problem you will just have the eye sore of the CEL. Ive done these swaps with no problem before
No, No, NOOO, the CEL will turn on because its a different goddamned engine.
Yes it will start and run, My B18B1 ran on a chipped P05 programmed for a SOHC Mini-Me swap, JUST BECAUSE IT STARTS AND RUNS, DOES NOT MEAN ITS SAFE TO DRIVE, The fuel maps are different, and you will damage the engine, one has large valves, more displacement, and its fuelmaps change at 5500RPM (the D16Y8), the other has smaller valves, less displacement, and it has a different fuel map, hence "Yes it will run, but it will run rich as [freak]"

The only reason i dont tell you to get a 96 dx ecu is because they have the crank fluctuation sensor. (about the distributor it will not line up properly but it will clip to your factory harness it will go in you just have to find a way to lock in
They also have knock sensors, and 2 O2's, the ECU he needs, is the one for the 1.5 D15B7 DX, not for a 1.6 D16Y7, 1996 OBD2 DX, again, 2 completely different engines....

your other option is msd make a obd 2 to obd1 conversion harness its not that cheap though its like 45 but if you have the dx motor harness or if you are comftable doing this look at the the dizzy the obd1 has 2 clips the obd2 has 1 larger clip look at the color of the wires they are all the same you can swap they clip not hard to do but it is time consuming but if done properly will work with no problem all you need is a honda book it tells you what color wires go exactly where or get a note book draw the clip number the pin postions and write what wires go where like i said not hard just time consuming
Again, You can just use the stock DX harness, you don't need to cut them both up to try to make this **** work....

also if you do get another ex or a newer dx motor 1.6 you can keep your head to do the mini vtec swap the 1.5 swap is easy just take your ex head and put it on the dx block bolts right up dont know how your skills are if you were to do that all you need is the head gasket and your top will bolt to the dx bottom many problems would be solved a head gasket is about 60 to 80 bucks but you have to retime the motor 1 very small problem remember that crank fluctuation sensor the old motor dosent have it and i have never tried to swap it to the older motor so you might need the obd2 to obd jumper harness let me know what happens
Mini-me Swaps are COMPLETELY AND RADICALLY DIFFERENT from 1992-1995 and 1996-2000, When using a 96-00 head, on a 92-95 block there are ALOT OF FACTORS involved, its not just a 'bolt on' kind of thing, I've done 2 different mini-me setups on my car. NOT ONLY THAT, but I made the write-up FOR the 92-95 block and 96-00 head swap that is in the FAQ's on this very site!!!

I guess I'll say it once last time:

Use the DX engine harness, it will plug right in, the motor will drop right in, and find a OBD2a to OBD1 jumper to go with the P06 ECU that you will need to run that motor correctly without damaging it.

There is no need to cut any wiring, splice anything, or take anything off the new or old motor and swap it around....
Old 03-14-2008, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EkFG)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EkFG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">SLVRCVC93 is right!!I did this **** left and right the dizzy wries are the same for obd1 and 2 just interchange the clips with wire colors. LIKE nike says
"JUST DO IT"</TD></TR></TABLE>

if he has the DX harness, there is no need to change the clips on the dizzy wiring.
Old 03-15-2008, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i took the motor out today. thats all i got done
my skill level is ive done gsr ls sohc swaps before i kno how to do all that stuff started when i was 14. i just wasnt sure wat i had to change out and what is compadable with wat because i usaully do swaps that are plug and play.
i guess i am goin to try to use the ex ecu intake mani and dizzy for now.all i want is for it to turn on and drive.so any more help would be good if any
Old 03-15-2008, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EkFG)

the crank fluctuator sensor is that a big problem or is the car still goin to start and run......
Old 03-15-2008, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Dasfinc)

I don't know what cars you have been working on but anyone on this forum will tell you the obd2 civic wire harness is diffrent than the 92-95 Ive been doing this since before you had a drivers liscense ask anyone or look under any civic hood THERE ARE COMPLETLY DIFFRENT all integra harness 92-2001 are an exact match to the 92-95 obd 1 civic if you read what he said he has a stock 96 with a stock 95 civic motor harness are completly diffrent ******* you need to know what your talking about before you give anyone advice you don't know **** and like I said ANYONE ON THIS FORUM WILL AGREE WITH ME IN WHAT I SAID if i was wrong on anything i said I wouldn't expect you to even know why don't you ask the kid do the wire hareness even match lmao he himself will tell you there diffrent you dumb-**** OH and just to answer you Slo the crank is to advance and retard engine timing for knock it will run rich because the sensor is not there but it will still run like a normal car OH and just to prove im right why don't you pick up a Honda Manuel it has the picture and diagrams to prove im right if not ill post them with the pictures of all the swaps Ive done
Old 03-15-2008, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks people dont get mad at each other all i wanted was some help
Old 03-16-2008, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (slvrcvc93)

I dunno if you are on the same page as me...

The engine wiring harness from any civic based car (Integra, CRV, Civic), plugs right into the shock-tower wiring. I can go outside and take a picture, but the OBD2 engine wiring harness on my teg motor *which would be the same as on a OBD2 civic as far as the connectors that plug into the shock towers* are the same...
Old 03-16-2008, 09:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, kind of finished the swap today. it runs. didn't really drive it just reversed and forwarded a little. for some reason when i put it into 4D seeing as its automatic the 4D light on the cluster blinks. don't know why though. I'm going to finish connecting some hoses and other little things tomorrow. will update everyone again!
Old 03-17-2008, 04:17 AM

Location: ....................................................................................................

did your check engine light stay on?
Old 03-17-2008, 06:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (blkegcoupe)

slvrcvc93

is right about the car engine harness...our obd2 civic's are one piece, the tegs and obd1 civics are a two piece harness...so dasfinc you are wrong! WRONG!!

OP-slo-hatch...did you reuse your auto tranny from your ex? i know that the obd1 trans has less sensors for their trans as where the obd2's have more...other than that, good up on your engine swapping...
Old 03-17-2008, 07:11 AM

Default Re: (ek4_b16a)

Im a noob and even i know the obd2 civics have a one piece harness. they dont plug into the shock towers.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (slvrcvc93)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slvrcvc93 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't know what cars you have been working on but anyone on this forum will tell you the obd2 civic wire harness is diffrent than the 92-95 Ive been doing this since before you had a drivers liscense ask anyone or look under any civic hood THERE ARE COMPLETLY DIFFRENT all integra harness 92-2001 are an exact match to the 92-95 obd 1 civic if you read what he said he has a stock 96 with a stock 95 civic motor harness are completly diffrent ******* you need to know what your talking about before you give anyone advice you don't know **** and like I said ANYONE ON THIS FORUM WILL AGREE WITH ME IN WHAT I SAID if i was wrong on anything i said I wouldn't expect you to even know why don't you ask the kid do the wire hareness even match lmao he himself will tell you there diffrent you dumb-**** OH and just to answer you Slo the crank is to advance and retard engine timing for knock it will run rich because the sensor is not there but it will still run like a normal car OH and just to prove im right why don't you pick up a Honda Manuel it has the picture and diagrams to prove im right if not ill post them with the pictures of all the swaps Ive done </TD></TR></TABLE>

I apologize, I never knew that the engine harness was different for 96-00 Civics, but the same for 92-95 civics and 94-00 tegs.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the car surges i dont kno why can it be the coolant hoses hmm...