Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

i have no brake pedal after new pads!!??

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2002, 02:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i have no brake pedal after new pads!!??

on my 97 civic hx. i put new pads on it today. i had to disconnet the caliper from the brake lines on both sides. the was like slime inside there along with brake fluid. it didnt look right, this was the case on both sides. will after i compressed the pistons, i then put the calipers back on to the brake assembly. bolted everything back up. pumped it up till hard. started the car and there was no pedal. went to the floor easy. i went driving down the street, no brakes what so ever. came back home , tried to bleed the brakes, the pass side it only drips out after many pump times. it doesnt squirt out like it should. the driver side nothing comes out after many times of pumping. if the bleeder screw is open and i pump , fluid comes out. i am totally clueless what to do now. i need the car for work. it doesnt seem like the caliper filled up with fluid. after i removed that slime and fluid. i imagine it would have filled back up. i dont think that happened from looking at the brake fluid resivor. anyone have any ideas. the brakes worked fine before i chnaged the pads.

for the record i have a 95 gsr mast/booster. stock hub assembly.
Old 12-15-2002, 02:55 PM

Default Re: i have no brake pedal after new pads!!?? (allmotor.net)

You need to bleed your brake system. It is pretty impossible to do by urself, and even with two people its not that easy. Also your probably gonna have to bleed all four calipers.
Old 12-15-2002, 03:04 PM

Default Re: i have no brake pedal after new pads!!?? (youngkow)

DO NOT PUMP THE BRAKES WITH THE BLEEDER OPEN!!!!! When you do this yes you are shooting fluid out but when you pull the pedal back up you are sucking air back in. You really need to just bleed the brakes and make sure the caliper to line bolt is tight? Did you replace or even put the crush washers back in?
Old 12-15-2002, 03:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: i have no brake pedal after new pads!!?? (tSuperbike69)

yeah you can't bleed it yourself(unless you got a bleeder) get someone to sit in the car

have them pump the brake pedal 3 times then you tell them to hold the pedal down to the floor when they do this you loosen the bleed screw...then the fluid/air will be pushed out.Remember to tell them that the cannot lift the brake pedal when you loosen the screw or it will suck air back in...they MUST push down on the pedal.As the fluid stops coming out close the screw and have them pump again...do untill you don't see air bubbles.

Start bleeding with the right rear then left rear then right front then left front.

Also you probaly have air in the master cylinder now so it would be a good idea to bleed that first then your brakes...but since you are in a rush for work you can just bleed your fronts now to get some pressure.

Next time don't loosen the line...get a C-clamp and push the piston back in(remember to take off the resivoir cap so the fluid doesn't pop it).

[Modified by 89civicdx, 4:09 PM 12/15/2002]
Old 12-15-2002, 04:15 PM

Default Re: i have no brake pedal after new pads!!?? (89civicdx)

thanks guys, i will try to bleed them again. maybe there is such so much air in there i did not give it enough time. i will use my mothers car tomorow and when i get home from work i will try it again. thanks again
Old 12-16-2002, 06:12 PM

Default Re: i have no brake pedal after new pads!!?? (89civicdx)

i tried bleeding the front calipers. no air in them now. is it possible there is air in the rear lines? i still have no pedal..
Old 12-16-2002, 06:40 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: i have no brake pedal after new pads!!?? (allmotor.net)

anytime you bleed your brakes, you HAVE to do all 4. Start furthest away from master cylinder to the nearest and continue until pressure is desired. You need 2 people to do this as stated above and you need a full resevoir of fluid. It's very easy and you'll need to go through the whole system a few times through. Get a Helm/Haynes, whatever and do it.