Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

I HATE jacking up my car. i think i bent my subframe!!!!1

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 05:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its not lack of common sense. .. i'm not just gonna go around and stick a freakin jack anywhere i please. i'd rather not seriously endanger my life cuz i was unsafe when jacking up my car. i see no harm in asking honest opinions about where to jack from.

anyways i've got my answers. thanks to those that helped..

boo to those that didn't
Old 07-28-2004, 05:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (lkailburn)

Here's a little more help...if you don't need to take the wheels off use ramps.
Old 07-28-2004, 05:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: I HATE jacking up my car. i think i bent my subframe!!!!1 (lkailburn)

yeah stuff usually turns to crap when its not done correctly.
Old 07-28-2004, 05:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I HATE jacking up my car. i think i bent my subframe!!!!1 (monicle)

man it's so easy,
just use some little piece of wood between the jack and the car and u can use almost every part of the car to lift up...

now get some sealing spray or whatever and close that bended space in your subframe before it's gonna rust
Old 07-28-2004, 05:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have heard of people lifting from the subframe, but usally they do it right under neath where the lca meets the subframe...not the middle of the subframe

i've lifted from front toe hook once, don't think i'll be doing that again, but never had a problem with the back
Old 07-28-2004, 05:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I HATE jacking up my car. i think i bent my subframe!!!!1 (VTECMaster)

hrmm. if youre going to give advice at least give good advice. Theres factory installed jack points on the car already. Why use anything else to jack the car up with? Ive never had problems with this.
Old 07-28-2004, 05:46 AM

if your car is too low for your jack, or it doesn't get it up high enough for your jackstands, you need to get one of these:

http://www.harborfreight.com/c...etype=

i used to go through quite a process to get the car up on stands. now it takes about 20 seconds.
Old 07-28-2004, 05:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I HATE jacking up my car. i think i bent my subframe!!!!1 (jwn7)

i have a threadjack question just because i don't think there is a need to create another thread for this:

How can i jack up the entire car (all four points on jack stands). Get a floor jack, jack up front, put front stands, jack up back by tow-hook, then put stands in back?

i need to get myself a nice floor jack, i'm still using the small hydro-jack and the scissor
Old 07-28-2004, 05:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I HATE jacking up my car. i think i bent my subframe!!!!1 (Sijray21)

use the jack points behind the front wheels you can lift it high enough to get a stand on the rear jack points, then lift the front using the under radiator jack point and put stands in the front.
Old 07-28-2004, 05:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by monicle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">use the jack points behind the front wheels you can lift it high enough to get a stand on the rear jack points, then lift the front using the under radiator jack point and put stands in the front.</TD></TR></TABLE>

the only problem i've had doing that is that the front jack point is too low b/c of all the weight of the engine and the fact that the rear has been lifted putting most of the weight towards the front

i just wish my jack went high enough to lift from the rear tow-hook more...need to get an ac jack
Old 07-28-2004, 06:44 AM
Electrician

Simple as it comes...

I ALWAYS use a piece of block to jack up the car from ANY part of the frame if I'm not going to use the jacking "mounts". If I'm going in between the LCA points, I use a 6" block so it'll expand the stress among the whole subframe instead of pinching one point. Never had a problem doing it this way, never dented anything, never cracked sideskirts.
Old 07-28-2004, 08:21 AM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I HATE jacking up my car. i think i bent my subframe!!!!1 (jwn7)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jwn7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if your car is too low for your jack, or it doesn't get it up high enough for your jackstands, you need to get one of these:

http://www.harborfreight.com/c...etype=

i used to go through quite a process to get the car up on stands. now it takes about 20 seconds. </TD></TR></TABLE>

daamn, that thing is pimp, 35lbs!!
that is crazy light for a jack like that.
my jack is like that, but normal weiight.. like 75lbs!
139's not bad.
mine was like 50bux, 4.xx" - 19.xx" not bad
Old 07-28-2004, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the reason i did not jack from the ends of the subframe where the lca meets up is becaus i heard that was unsafe. i will use a block of wood when i jack from now on, and if my jack doesn't lift it high enough from the rear tow hook, i'll look into getting a new jack

a note: the reason i've asked so many questions about this can be seen right here in these 3 pages.. inconsistent information. you hear so many "oh i jack here its great" then you hear "i jacked there but wont do that any more. so i jack here" blah blah back and forth.

i started this thread for my own safety. i want to be safe for not only myself, but my car. i love it just as much as i'm sure you all love your own cars.

-Luke
Old 07-28-2004, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't think you read through your thread very well...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JRI94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Here's a little more help...if you don't need to take the wheels off use ramps.</TD></TR></TABLE>

And if I do jack up my car, it's at the jack points.
Old 07-28-2004, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^^ unfortunatly for the project i'm working on i do need the wheels off and i need the jack stands to be on the jack points on the side of the car...thus the search for another place to jack from
Old 07-28-2004, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lkailburn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">a note: the reason i've asked so many questions about this can be seen right here in these 3 pages.. inconsistent information. you hear so many "oh i jack here its great" then you hear "i jacked there but wont do that any more. so i jack here" blah blah back and forth. </TD></TR></TABLE>
JFC, I--like so many others--can't believe how long this thread has been going on. No doubt, though, that this post just adds to it. But I posted info on how to raise your car with jackstands directly from a Helms Honda Civic service manual. This is a very thick manual that tells you everything ... from how to remove your engine to change your oil to reupholster your seats to inspecting and replacing your transmission to removing your valve cover to removing and reinstalling your pistons and rods to (holy ****! ) jacking up your car. Please spend the $60-70 on it, and you won't have any further questions. There are also e-versions out there, but as Frank the Tank says, "Let's keep it on the downlow. It's not exactly street legal."
Old 07-28-2004, 01:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

k will do. thread closed(if i was a mod lol)
Old 07-28-2004, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Actually, &gt;I&lt; have a haynes book and it DOES have where to jack it up. Its not that difficult.