Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

I dont understand the coolant system?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 03:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I dont understand the coolant system?!

Need help with a problem that is really bothering me. A month ago i replaced the radiator with a dual core Del Sol, bled the system over a course of a couple weeks to make sure all bubbles were out. Runs great, no leaks. I've had the temperature control set to HOT but not running the blower, the temp gauge stays just below halfway. Perfect. Now this morning it was a little cold, so turned the blower on with temperature set all the way hot. Started getting a little warm inside so i moved the temperature control to halfway between hot and cold. 2 seconds later, the temp gauge reads 3/4 way up. WTF?! Put the temperature all the way back to hot, the temp goes down to just below half. Anyone understand what the cause is??
Old 09-29-2005, 04:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: I dont understand the coolant system?! (BDogggUT34)

all of the bubbles arent out of the coolant system. with a cool motor take the radiator cap off, turn the heater to max heat, start the car, "massage" the upper and lower radiator hoses, fill up coolant any time the level drops below the feed neck.
massaging the hoses will in effect force air out of the system. you might massage the heater inlet and outlet hoses also. This works much faster than waiting for the bubbles to work themselves out.
Old 09-29-2005, 04:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I dont understand the coolant system?! (monicle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by monicle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">all of the bubbles arent out of the coolant system. with a cool motor take the radiator cap off, turn the heater to max heat, start the car, "massage" the upper and lower radiator hoses, fill up coolant any time the level drops below the feed neck.
massaging the hoses will in effect force air out of the system. you might massage the heater inlet and outlet hoses also. This works much faster than waiting for the bubbles to work themselves out. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Never done that before. I always just stand around drinking a beer and wait for them to burp themselves out.
Old 09-29-2005, 05:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I dont understand the coolant system?! (monicle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by monicle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">all of the bubbles arent out of the coolant system. with a cool motor take the radiator cap off, turn the heater to max heat, start the car, "massage" the upper and lower radiator hoses, fill up coolant any time the level drops below the feed neck.
massaging the hoses will in effect force air out of the system. you might massage the heater inlet and outlet hoses also. This works much faster than waiting for the bubbles to work themselves out. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I did the upper and lower hose massage many times already, however i havent tried the heater inlet and outlet hoses. I'll do that and see what happens, thanks.