Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Properly Bleeding Coolant System

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2005, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Properly Bleeding Coolant System

So a little while ago I ran low on coolant. The heater didn't work and shortly after the temp gauge shot up. Filled it with coolant and let it idled with the radiator cap off. It did start to overflow, but I figured it would be enough. It was... the car runs warmer (just a cunthair below half) but it has not overheated since so I left it.

Today I finally tried to bleed the setup. I popped a hose over the nipple on the thermostat, and opened it up. Some air/coolant came out... nothing major. The heat was on high. Coolant started to overflow from the radiator where the cap was supposed to be. The temp gauge looked normal. Yes! Closed everything up, took it for a test drive... as I pulled out of my neighborhood the gauge went back home again to it's halfway mark.

So this time I tried to bleed the setup with the car running, radiator capped closed. That worked marginally better... I was getting a lot more out. I filled a water bottle about quarter the way and started to see a fairly consistent coolant only flow. Tightened it up... needle didn't budge.

Drove it around... came back home. Tried it again... radiator cap off, and noticed it was somewhat low. Topped it off, opened the bleeder screw and now nothing is coming out... no air bubbles, no coolant.

Do I have to drain the coolant completely to bleed it or something??? What am I doing wrong?
Old 03-05-2005, 02:53 PM
JV
Who?

Default Re: Properly Bleeding Coolant System (Mario.)

This is how i always bleed the system.

1. Remove radiator cap.
2. Start the car.
3. Put the heat on full blast.
4. Let it reach operating temp, and wait for the radiator fan to come on.
5. Add coolant as necessary.
6. Replace cap and take it for a test run.

The actual bleeding part may take awhile (I've waited as long as 20min for the fan to come on), so just be patient.
Old 03-05-2005, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Properly Bleeding Coolant System (underachiever)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by underachiever &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This is how i always bleed the system.

1. Remove radiator cap.
2. Start the car.
3. Put the heat on full blast.
4. Let it reach operating temp, and wait for the radiator fan to come on.
5. Add coolant as necessary.
6. Replace cap and take it for a test run.

The actual bleeding part may take awhile (I've waited as long as 20min for the fan to come on), so just be patient.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I tried that the first time, and the coolant ended up overflowing out.
Old 03-05-2005, 03:03 PM
JV
Who?

Default Re: Properly Bleeding Coolant System (Mario.)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mario. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I tried that the first time, and the coolant ended up overflowing out. </TD></TR></TABLE>

It will overflow a bit until the fan comes on. Once it comes on you will see the level drop in the radiator, just add fluid and replace the cap.
Old 03-05-2005, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Properly Bleeding Coolant System (underachiever)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by underachiever &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It will overflow a bit until the fan comes on. Once it comes on you will see the level drop in the radiator, just add fluid and replace the cap. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Should I siphon it up, soak it up, or just let it be?