Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

I AM BAFFLED!!!!...... need help please.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I AM BAFFLED!!!!...... need help please.

Ok, for the last couple of weeks my radiator fan has not been coming on but I have let it slide because most of my driving is highway. So I go to start my car today and i let it warm up for a couple of minutes and then I drive off. My car never went above the C +2 mark for a 30 minute drive to work and same on the way home.

I went and bought a thermostat and some new coolant and installed them just like my honda manual says. I start it up and left the radiator cap off and let it warm up like it says and then I close it up and drive off. My car is idling where it should be and the temp looks like it's where it should be but when I turn on my heater full blast only cold air comes out. WTF!!!! I thought I did everything right.

Is there something I did wrong?? I am pissed and confused. Can someone please shed some light on this situation for me. Thanks a lot.
Old 01-04-2005, 06:00 PM

Default Re: I AM BAFFLED!!!!...... need help please. (98vsmferio)

Sounds like you may still have air in the system
Old 01-04-2005, 06:02 PM

Default Re: I AM BAFFLED!!!!...... need help please. (95b16hatch)

can someone tell me the correct way to get the air out?? maybe i did it wrong.
Old 01-04-2005, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you have to bleed the coolant... there should be a small niple where your upper radiator hose connects, you have to loosen this while the car is started and let bleed it till coolant flows out
Old 01-04-2005, 06:16 PM

Default Re: I AM BAFFLED!!!!...... need help please. (civichatch6989)

should the cap be off while doing this?? where does the coolant flow out to?? do i need to refill after this process??
Old 01-04-2005, 06:31 PM

You have air in the system, this is referred to as air-bound. You need to purge the air out of the system. Like civichatch said, use the bleeder nipple on the upper radiator hose. I've never done it, but if its anything like heating pipes in homes like I deal with, it will "hiss" air, then start to **** a little bit of fluid, once it does this, you might even want to shut the car down, let the coolant cool, and do it again, I think this might help the air bubbles to become un-dissolved in the hot coolant and help to remove air from the system.?
Old 01-04-2005, 06:46 PM

Default Re: I AM BAFFLED!!!!...... need help please. (jlacoy82)

just loosen the nipple near the upper hose until coolant pours out. your thermostat will not open with just steam. coolant has to touch the thermostat for the wax to loosen up and allow the coolant to flow through the system on to your heater core. when fluid runs out for a few, tighten the nipple and refill the coolant. good as new. as far as your fan not coming on, check your engine coolant sensor. if it is malfunctioning or not working at all it will not tell the computer to turn the fan on.
Old 01-04-2005, 06:53 PM

Default Re: I AM BAFFLED!!!!...... need help please. (HellbillY)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HellbillY &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just loosen the nipple near the upper hose until coolant pours out. your thermostat will not open with just steam. coolant has to touch the thermostat for the wax to loosen up and allow the coolant to flow through the system on to your heater core. when fluid runs out for a few, tighten the nipple and refill the coolant. good as new. as far as your fan not coming on, check your engine coolant sensor. if it is malfunctioning or not working at all it will not tell the computer to turn the fan on.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thank you!! so let me get this straight (last question)...

1. start car
2. release nipple and allow coolant to flow out for a little bit
3. turn off car
4. refill coolant

Right??
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I AM BAFFLED!!!!...... need help please. (jlacoy82)

Whenever i do this at work i turn on the heater full blast (it opens the heater core pipes) and let the car idle with the radiator cap off. eventually the fan will come on.
You can also test your thermostat by seeing if you have pressure in the bottum hose after a while. this lets you know that the thermo opened.

btw doesn't that blue honda coolant smell like burnt play-doh?

Bingo!
Old 01-04-2005, 07:12 PM

I just went out to my car and I assume the nipple you guys are talking about is where the upper hose connects to the head?? it's a little bolt....will this leak a lot of fluid out of it?
Old 01-04-2005, 08:08 PM

I just went out and loosely fitted the radiator cap on and turned on the car. I let the engine warm up to normal temperature and unscrewed the bleeder nipple. At first it was a little dribble and then it streamed out so I tightened it back up and filled the coolant up and turned on my heater. NOTHING!!!! It is doing the same **** it was before. How could this easy job turn into a freaking nightmare?? Somebody please let me know what's going on.
Old 01-04-2005, 09:35 PM

anyone??
Old 01-04-2005, 09:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bro if your fan ain't turnin on it doesn't have nothing to do with air in the system or none of that **** str8 up If your fan doesn't turn on is your relay for the fan that went bad this is really common same thing happend to me trust me just wire up the fan directly 2 ur ignition or buy a new relay for ur fan and ur good to go
Old 01-04-2005, 09:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civic-si-2000 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
btw doesn't that blue honda coolant smell like burnt play-doh?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Smells like syrup.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 98vsmferio &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just went out and loosely fitted the radiator cap on and turned on the car. I let the engine warm up to normal temperature and unscrewed the bleeder nipple. At first it was a little dribble and then it streamed out so I tightened it back up and filled the coolant up and turned on my heater. NOTHING!!!! It is doing the same **** it was before. How could this easy job turn into a freaking nightmare?? Somebody please let me know what's going on.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Have you checked the electrical connections to the fan? Maybe a dumb question, but that may be it.
Old 01-04-2005, 09:57 PM

Default Re: I AM BAFFLED!!!!...... need help please. (spyderracing32)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spyderracing32 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Have you checked the electrical connections to the fan? Maybe a dumb question, but that may be it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I am not sure about that yet but I am still wondering why my heater wont work because I thought I bled the system correctly. I am worried about my car not getting to operating temperature at all.
Old 01-05-2005, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You might have a fuse or relay out which controls the heater core opening. Check them all and we'll go from there.
Old 01-05-2005, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I AM BAFFLED!!!!...... need help please. (civic-si-2000)

hey when you bleed the coolant with the car warmed up you want ur radiator cap on, tightly!... then u loosen the nipple... the reason why u do this with the cap on is so you have pressure, if you have the cap off or loose you have no pressure and its pointless, when u loosen the nipple first u will see bubble, then coolant will flow out... tighten it and u are done.. do not add coolant when u are done, if you do this, once again u loose pressure and add air to it... there is a reason why u have a resivoir, 1. for when you have to much coolant it has a place to go to and 2. when u are low there is a extra supply...
Old 01-05-2005, 11:29 AM
cool guy name

Default Re: I AM BAFFLED!!!!...... need help please. (civichatch6989)

Screw the bleeder!!! turn your car on, take the cap off, top it off, smoke a bunch of ciggarettes waiting for the car to get to normal operating temp. If your fan worked I would say that is the official way you know your car is at that point but just let it run for a half hour. When possible dump more fluid in the radiator, when your car is done burping the air bubbles your done.

Jim
Old 01-05-2005, 04:54 PM

Default Re: I AM BAFFLED!!!!...... need help please. (walker111)

i just wanted to say thank you to everyone who has replied to this forum. sorry about acting like a little worried girl last night. i started it up this morning and drove off and bingo...it went up to normal operating temperature and heater worked. when i got out of the car at work, i felt the lower radiator hose and it was hot...so i am good to go (besides the fan, which is another problem that will be fixed soon). thanks again!!!!