Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

HX Auto Tranny Went BAD!.....Need Help...Please!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 05:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HX Auto Tranny Went BAD!.....Need Help...Please!

Hello,

My automatic transmission finally bit the dust on my daily driver. Its a 97 Civic HX and I've tried looking all over for the answer to my question but I have found no definite answer. Apparentally the HX's have a constant velocity trans. (CVT) which has no gears, these transmissions are almost impossible to find used and if you do they are very expensive and will probably crap out soon. My question that i keep running through my head is that "Can I just put any d-series auto. on it (ie; a DX or an EX)???????" It makes perfect sense to me that it would bolt right up, being almost everything from D-series is interchangeable. However it seems that i can't find anybody that knows from experience. Also not sure if there would be a difference in the electronics that run the trans. or if i would just throw a DX ecu in it for it to recognize the tranny. Also i heard mentioned that the tranny mount might be different. If there is anybody with experience or knowledge on this topic please HELP. Also just as a heads up, I'm only interested in fixing it to be a daily driver. I am NOT going to put an LS motor in it, or just swap it to manual, or anything along those lines.

Thanks in Advance,

Tommy
Old 10-20-2004, 06:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HX Auto Tranny Went BAD!.....Need Help...Please! (civictom)

im about 90% sure that you can put a EX tranny in.
Old 10-20-2004, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HX Auto Tranny Went BAD!.....Need Help...Please! (civictom)

yes you can put one on your hx the only diference is the gears like putting a ex si tranny on your cx dx
Old 10-20-2004, 07:09 AM
RTFM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

you cant jstu replace the CVT (continuasly variable transmission) with a normal geared one you wopuld need to change the computer, but then you will lsoe the vtec capability as well as the meissions and fuel economy that thte HX has.
at this point it may be easier jstu to swap a DX engine and ecu and harness in there instead...
Old 10-20-2004, 07:29 AM

Default Re: (v4lu3s)

So in order for me to get a DX tranny to work, I would most likely have to get a DX ECU and possibly swap out the wiring harness. I'm fine with losing the vtec-e capabilities, personally i dont really think it saves any gas. I was thinking about swapping the whole thing out for a basic D-series but the cost on that would be $900-1200 for the swap from a junkyard or i could pick up a DX auto. tranny for around $100-$400 and find an ECU and try to make it work. Still not sure how hard/easy it would be to put a regular geared tranny onto my HX motor. Need ot have this thing fixed soon. Thanks for the advice so far, please help me with some more info on my situation.
Old 10-21-2004, 06:37 PM

Default Re: (civictom)

Right now i'm thinking about just converting it to 5spd.....So any important advice on this, or last minute info on whether or not i can just put a DX automatic transmission on it. Also will there be any problems running my auto. HX ECU with the 5spd tranny. I know that i'll have to wire it to trick in into thinking its in park but won't the ECU still be looking for all the electronics that are hooked up to an auto. tranny.
Old 10-21-2004, 06:51 PM
RTFM

the 5spd uses a diffenret ecu, different egr and different o2 sensor...wiring mess is all i can say, at least if you want it to run right. if not jsut slap teh 5 spd on there and drive.
Old 10-21-2004, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (v4lu3s)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by v4lu3s &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you cant jstu replace the CVT (continuasly variable transmission) with a normal geared one you wopuld need to change the computer, but then you will lsoe the vtec capability as well as the meissions and fuel economy that thte HX has.
at this point it may be easier jstu to swap a DX engine and ecu and harness in there instead...</TD></TR></TABLE>
correct. it would be better to do a complete swap. seeing that it is going to be a pain doing all of the conversions to run a geared tranny.
Old 10-22-2004, 05:23 AM

Default Re: (sohcvtec1995)

What conversions????? TO run a geared automatic transmission i would just put it on and run a DX ECU so that it can recognize its own tranny. I would lose the capability of the vtec-e, since the DX ECU wont be able looking for the extra vtec wires. Im just wondering why it would be easier to swap out a perfectly good motor just because the tranny is bad. Right now im just thinking about converting it to 5spd, with my only worry being how difficult it will be to install the clutch/brake assembly
Old 10-22-2004, 05:53 AM
RTFM

and you would need to do some rewiring for a normal geared auto tranny since i bet the CVT tranny doesnt have nice things like shift solenoids....
and i dont see how you wont ahve constant lights on teh dash with a 5spd tranny and the auto ecu.
Old 10-23-2004, 03:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (civictom)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civictom &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Im just wondering why it would be easier to swap out a perfectly good motor just because the tranny is bad. Right now im just thinking about converting it to 5spd, with my only worry being how difficult it will be to install the clutch/brake assembly</TD></TR></TABLE>
It would be easier seeing that you are taking half of the car apart to do the tranny, and seeing that you want to do a 5 speed conversion. Also in the end it would be better. But you dont have to. The conversion is not that hard you just need all of the peices and a weekend.
Old 10-23-2004, 04:42 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (sohcvtec1995)

HX Trannys suck . I bought my HX with the tranny F'd up for 1,200$ and I got the Tranny Rebuilded by some dudes who had never done it before. They did an A+ Job for 600$. It was hell of a lot cheaper then swapping out trannys and I got a 6 month warranty to go along with it. . Now... when I get money.. I'll swap out the motor but i dont have to worry bout the car F'ing up for some time. By then i'll have money .