Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

any HX owners/tech..need your help.

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any HX owners/tech..need your help.

my 96 HX civic auto CVT Tranny just went 2 weeks ago. I wanted to replace it with another tranny but not another HX tranny. Was looking to get a dx/ex auto tranny. Since it's the hx with the CVT tranny with vtec-e engine, will the 96-00 dx/ex auto tranny work? do i need to change any harnesses, or the ecu? if yeah which one
Old 12-30-2005, 09:14 AM
Imperious: Mod of Valor

Default Re: any HX owners/tech..need your help. (97civic123)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 97civic123 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my 96 HX civic auto CVT Tranny just went 2 weeks ago. I wanted to replace it with another tranny but not another HX tranny. Was looking to get a dx/ex auto tranny. Since it's the hx with the CVT tranny with vtec-e engine, will the 96-00 dx/ex auto tranny work? do i need to change any harnesses, or the ecu? if yeah which one </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, any D series transmission will work with your car. I would recommend getting the EX transmission due to the gear ratios. Also, when my automatic transmission went out on me about a year ago, I swapped it over to a manual. It is a lengthy and pretty involved process, but I'm very happy with the outcome and I'm glad that I did it.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: any HX owners/tech..need your help. (JDM-EJ1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM-EJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yes, any D series transmission will work with your car. I would recommend getting the EX transmission due to the gear ratios. Also, when my automatic transmission went out on me about a year ago, I swapped it over to a manual. It is a lengthy and pretty involved process, but I'm very happy with the outcome and I'm glad that I did it. </TD></TR></TABLE> this guy knows wht he's talking about
Old 12-30-2005, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: any HX owners/tech..need your help. (96dxpower)

did i need to change to a EX ecu, if yeah, what year. it's actually my sister car, and she likes it as an auto.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

naw you dont need ecu..
Old 12-30-2005, 03:04 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 97civic123 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">did i need to change to a EX ecu, if yeah, what year. it's actually my sister car, and she likes it as an auto. </TD></TR></TABLE>

The only part you need for this is just the transmission.
Old 12-30-2005, 03:06 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Remember though, he has an HX with the CVT. The CVT works a lot different then any other normal transmission so I'm thinking you WOULD have to change out the ecu? It would probably be best to swap in a 5spd and using the 5spd hx ecu because their 5spds were just normal 5spds.
Old 12-30-2005, 05:03 PM

Default Re: any HX owners/tech..need your help. (Civic4less)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Civic4less &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Remember though, he has an HX with the CVT. The CVT works a lot different then any other normal transmission so I'm thinking you WOULD have to change out the ecu? It would probably be best to swap in a 5spd and using the 5spd hx ecu because their 5spds were just normal 5spds. </TD></TR></TABLE>

What's a CVT? I've never heard of that.
Old 12-30-2005, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

get an ex tranny. i had an dx tranny and blow it. swaped in a ex tranny and it pulls better than b4. first and second are bad ***.
Old 12-30-2005, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If CVT is a serious difference then get a non CVT ecu and use that. Keep the HX ecu. I dont see a reason why you want to change to a DX or EX tranny if its your sis car and its still an auto.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: any HX owners/tech..need your help. (Luserkid)

what do you mean you don't know why i want to change to a DX/EX tranny. her tranny blew. it doesn't drive when i shift to D or R. The CVT is known for slippage and tranny problems in their CVT, so i'd rather get her an EX/DX tranny. As for the non CVT ecu, the HX model is a VTEC-E so would i need to change the ecu?
Old 12-30-2005, 08:34 PM

CVT = continuously variable transmission

instead of gears think of two cones side by side but pointing in opposite directions. a chain around both cones slides up and down their length altering the gear ratio as it goes. they are a great idea if you think about it, the transmission could continuously alter it's gear ratio as the engine remains at its optimum rpm, but they havn't been able to build one that can hold alot of power.

i doubt that you could run an automatic on a CVT ecu, i'm sure the trans control programing is different between the two, as they are different between a manual and automatic. you're probably better off just having a junk yard source you another CVT.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:34 PM

come on man get a 5 speed, auto sux
Old 12-30-2005, 08:35 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by howthingswork.com &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
In a traditional automatic transmission, the gears are literally gears - interlocking, toothed wheels that help transmit and modify rotary motion and torque. A combination of planetary gears creates all of the different gear ratios that the transmission can produce, typically four forward gears and one reverse gear. When this type of transmission cycles through its gears, the driver can feel jolts as each gear is engaged.

Unlike traditional automatic transmissions, continuously variable transmissions don't have a gearbox with a set number of gears, which means they don't have interlocking toothed wheels. The most common type of CVT operates on an ingenious pulley system that allows an infinite variability between highest and lowest gears with no discrete steps or shifts.

CVTs also have various microprocessors and sensors, but the three components described above are the key elements that enable the technology to work.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

The result: Infinite amount of gear ratios.

Seems like a good tranny no? Well... it would be. If honda's wasn't designed so weakly. The thing breaks and just causes problems if you beat on it some. Like the OP said.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 97civic123 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">her tranny blew. it doesn't drive when i shift to D or R. The CVT is known for slippage and tranny problems in their CVT, so i'd rather get her an EX/DX tranny. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I had no idea Honda had one or even what the hell they were till I found out I had one in the car I bought (back when I knew nothing about hondas). But fortunately the HX is pretty light. I believe I read somewhere it weighs as much as an Si Hatch.

To the OP: I believe you would have to just get a regular ECU. And run some sort of program to have VTEC-E engage at its usual spot (which I believe is around 3,000rpms). What I'm doing now after my CVT has messed up for the 2nd time (now that I have more knowledge on cars) I am doing a 5spd conversion. Which IS pretty simple. But if this is for your wife then I guess you would want an Auto.
Old 12-31-2005, 10:17 AM

Thanks for clearing up what 'CVT' was, I had never heard of that and had no idea what it was. So, it looks like if he gets a 'normal' transmission persay.. That he will need to get another ECU, which ECU would he get? I'm determined on getting this guys car running for him. BS like this has happened to me before, when I knew nothing about cars. It really sucked for me, I can only imagine what this guy is going through.
Old 12-31-2005, 11:18 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM-EJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks for clearing up what 'CVT' was, I had never heard of that and had no idea what it was. So, it looks like if he gets a 'normal' transmission persay.. That he will need to get another ECU, which ECU would he get? I'm determined on getting this guys car running for him. BS like this has happened to me before, when I knew nothing about cars. It really sucked for me, I can only imagine what this guy is going through.</TD></TR></TABLE>

he will have to find out if a normal vtec ecu (out of an EX) will work with his HX's vtec-e motor. if it does, then it *should* be as simple as swaping out the trans and ecu. i don't think it will though, i looked up the part numbers for the various ecu's and got this;

96 EX 5MT - 37820-P2P-***
96 EX 4AT - 37820-P2P-***
96 HX 5MT - 37820-P2N-***
96 HX CVT - 37820-P2M-***

they're different part numbers so there has to be something different about them, but i don't know whether you can swap an EX computer into an HX without issues. the linkage and wiring involved also have different part numbers as well, so some things down there are bound to be different and he may run into problems. as much as it sucks he may be best off just finding another CVT instead of attempting a swap and running into all kinds of problems. if it drives at all i would personally go and trade it in for something with a conventional tranny.
Old 12-31-2005, 01:46 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: any HX owners/tech..need your help. (UberMunkey)

Like I said... all he would have to do if he's putting in an automatic is get the wiring harness for that tranny because the sensors are probably way different. And run any regular ECU but have vtec engage at 3,000 (or whatever the VTEC-E engagement point is) with like a VAFC or something. (forgot exactley what its called). And he should be fine. IMO it would be easier putting in a 5spd (less sensors... less hassle) But if he's determined to do this then I guess it could be done. The CVT isn't that bad of a Tranny if you're not constantly gunning it. If his wife isn't a lead foot he might want to just get it rebuilt. I got mine rebuilt locally for 600$ and it lasted another good 3 months with me gunning it every now and then.
Old 12-31-2005, 01:58 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

btw:<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM-EJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> BS like this has happened to me before, when I knew nothing about cars. It really sucked for me, I can only imagine what this guy is going through.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I know all too well what you mean. ::shakes heaD::