Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How to replace antenna on 97 Civic?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to replace antenna on 97 Civic?

I bought my car with no antenna, looks like some vandal ripped it out.

Anyway, can anyone tell me how to replace it? I removed the 2 torx screws that hold the black trim in place, to find out that the antenna is not removable from that spot.

Anyway, if anyone can point me in the right direction, that would be great! TIA

Old 11-21-2005, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to replace antenna on 97 Civic? (SRd240sx)

seems like a fairly common problem of the antenna getting ripped out.. it happened on my other car too.

anybody?
Old 11-21-2005, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Only way I know is to buy a replacement Manual Antenna assembly. I've never seen an aftermarket one, because the assembly is pretty big (mast + waterproofing + "case" for the mast to fit in while retracted), and the lead that connects to the head unit is part of it.

Friend of mine broke hers somehow, she was pissed because the assembly cost a lot. Her friends were all huffy because they're anti-import and went off on how it should have a replaceable mast.

Examine the assembly when it arrives and figure out whether the cable is hard-attached or not. If it is, you need to disconnect it and fish the cable up to it enters the passenger compartment so you can get the necessary slack to remove the assembly. Though even if it isn't you'll still need enough slack to pull the assembly out & connect the lead to the new assembly anyway. Meh. Either way, I hate working in the dash.

I'd dig around http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/ or another online source for OEM parts, they should have an exploded diagram. Maybe they added a replaceable mast in 97, dunno, my friend's was a 96.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i had a friend that took his off a 97 civic ex and it was long as hell. im not quite sure how he did even though i was there. i just wasn't looking because i was working on my car. i'll call him in a bit and get back to u.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for the link monkey

so the end of the antenna goes to the radio?
Old 11-21-2005, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No prob. There's another dealer online with slightly better diagrams (not scaled down as far, higher res, whatever it is they're easier to make out), just can't remember the name of the site though.

Obviously you need a replacement #4.

I'm not sure whether to disconnect #4 from #7 in the passenger compartment or if it's long enough to stretch from the passenger compartment up to the top of the A pillar. Then you could connect up the new antenna, then pull the slack out as you lower the new antenna in. Otherwise you'll have to fish out the cable on #4 from within the A pillar through whatever access panel they give you within the passenger compartment, which sounds painful to me.

Personally, I often wonder why I bought a powered antenna, considering I never listen to the radio.

Modified by MonkeyBoy668 at 11:34 PM 11/21/2005
Old 11-21-2005, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to replace antenna on 97 Civic? (MonkeyBoy668)

get a good mp3 cd player and put all your music on taht, throw it on random and you have good sounding music, from a selection you like, thats random.

i dont even have my antenna hooked up anymore just kinda pointless now days.

unless i listen to john boy and billy (local redneck/hick program funny as hell)
Old 11-21-2005, 09:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to replace antenna on 97 Civic? (93egsedan)

jsut got an mp3 player, getting tired of teh 1 CD i made, so i need some radio in the mix
Old 11-21-2005, 11:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i'll give you a tip that'll save u a LOT of headache.

the antenna has a wire connected that goes to your radio. the antenna wire can be disconnected above the kick panel on the driver side (next to the fusebox/clutch pedal area). you have to take out that bottom part of your dash, IIRC, under the steering wheel.

you'll see the antenna wire and a place to unplug it. now before you go and pull the antenna out tie a long piece of string to it so that when u pull it out and the string will be attatched.

i did this once without the string and it is a PAIN IN THE *** to get the antenna wire down the a-pillar thing. i had to use a coat hanger and lots of patience and time to find the wire again. tie the string to the new antenna wire and pull it down and plug it back up.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to replace antenna on 97 Civic?

I dunno what is so hard about replacing the antenna is but I replaced mine and it was easy as expletive. I bought a new antenna from crutchfield and it came with one really long cable that went all the way down the pillar and through the dash to the deck, the oem had two cables one that went down to the pillar to the kick panel and the other went from there to the deck. I was smart and attached a string before I pulled the old one out then tied it onto the new cable and was done with it. I dunno what was wrong with the oem antenna and I had switched out the oem radio to a pioneer deck thinking that was it but the radio still sucked then I replaced the antenna and it was fine. Oh and the new antenna is extendable yO! well manually that is. You can push it in if your going through an auto carwash probabally one that uses the brushes but I never go though any of those kind so I just leave it all the way out.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: How to replace antenna on 97 Civic? (screwballz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by screwballz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you'll see the antenna wire and a place to unplug it. now before you go and pull the antenna out tie a long piece of string to it so that when u pull it out and the string will be attatched.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
I would recommend two strings or pieces of wire incase the first one come loose.