Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

how to prevent cars from being stolen

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 07:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to prevent cars from being stolen

well since everyday theres a pissed off H-T person flippin, rightfully so, because there car was jacked i was thinking why dont we get some peoples ways of safeguarding there cars. what do u have on the car to prevent it from being stolen? yea i may get flamed for putting this on because u may think that a car jacker will read this and call it a gold mine but lets face it if they really want your car and know there **** what are u gonna be able to do? so hit me up with some ideas.

to be honest im startin this because i just did a motor swap and i have a hatch and it seems the hatches get stolen like hot cakes so i need some ideas?

thanks
Old 11-10-2005, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how to prevent cars from being stolen (92civichatch1)

Lock your doors.
Old 11-10-2005, 07:47 PM

build a sleeper.....body kits and all that jaz your just askin to have your stuff stolen.....if you have guages on your dash throw a shirt over them so noone sees the prettty guages and thinks they should have them.......dont make friends that will go around telling everybody what you have... personal experience(dont make friends that will steal from you)
Old 11-10-2005, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how to prevent cars from being stolen (O RLY)

And I don't mean to be an ******* and flame you on this subject, because everybody needs to be a little more careful, but what kind of answers are you looking for. There's not much more you car do than buy an alarm, or a removable steering wheel. There are things you can do, like park it under your bedroom window, or put a baby monitor and cameras outside, if you live in the ghetto, but just lock your doors, don't leave the keys inside. Keep your lights on outside your house. Think like a car thief! Do you want to try to steal a car sitting by a bright light in a neighborhood, not to mention with an alarm? Besides, there are so many variables that can alter the situation, for example, where you live...(Malibu or Compton), how nice your civic is (a rusted piece of crap or a time-setting-machine, in which case build a garage). Endless possibilities. Hope you see what you're looking for.
Old 11-10-2005, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BRIOHATCH)

pull out the ecu... its the hard way but the most efficient way indeed...
Old 11-10-2005, 07:50 PM

Default Re: (BRIOHATCH)

im talkin things like starter kill switches and things like that. i know they are easily defeated but i want some ideas and how to do it.
Old 11-10-2005, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

carry your big *** nasty dog around wherever you go and lock it to the car with a chain long enough to go around it... that should prevent car theft
Old 11-10-2005, 08:38 PM

garage until you want to drive it...
Old 11-10-2005, 08:43 PM

Default Re: how to prevent cars from being stolen (soslodelsol)

what i do is put it on jack stands and remove all four wheels/tires.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

IMO, the best security measure involves layers of protection. For example, an alarm, a back up siren, an autolock or detachable steering wheel, kill switch/es, etc etc. Everyone has heard the saying "if they really want it, they'll get it" but making the attempt as long and difficult as possible will better your chances of them failing.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeh this has been covered very many times. i think the best way yet is to get a garage, i know it all costs money and **** but if you dont want it stolen, its the best idea. hidden kill switches, well hidden... somewhere not a goddamn person in the world would think of. (ive got a good one)
Old 11-10-2005, 09:40 PM

just posting without reading the whole thread, a few pieces of advice...

-discreet locking hood pins to keep your swap safe
-lojack/tracking device that is wired in seperately from the alarm
-a GOOD alarm
-the more kill switches, the merrier. I usually wire one to the starter and one to the fuel pump. In shady areas, I shut both off. But at least one of them is ALWAYS off when the car is parked.
-With your alarm wiring, add in alarm wires to the wiring harnesses on the audio system, ignition, and engine wiring harness... that way if the wire is cut, the alarm goes off.
-An alarm that goes off without detection is wonderful... IE the alarm sends a break in page to your keyfob, but outside no crazy lights and horns are going off.
-A dummy siren for your alarm. IE a siren that is immediately noticeable, but is not the real alarm siren, so if it is cut (which a lot of thieves do) the alarm goes off.
-knock sensors on all windows. You see them a lot on the windshield.. the little "knock here to page the owner of this car" deal, but put them on all windows. 9/10 times if a car thief is trying to pry your window open/away from the weatherstripping, his/her fingers are going to slip and the window will thump. A knock sensor will set your alarm off with that thump.
-A limited fuel flow switch... kind of like a valet switch, but if the switch is off (IE the car is parked), only a certain amount of fuel will be allowed through the fuel pump before the pump shuts down (usually 1/3 to 1/2 gallon.. which is only 10-15 miles).

Other than that, just be smart. You know if your car is parked in a shady area. Be smart about where you leave your car, and lock up every time.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:41 PM

Default Re: (blkSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blkSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeh this has been covered very many times. i think the best way yet is to get a garage, i know it all costs money and **** but if you dont want it stolen, its the best idea. hidden kill switches, well hidden... somewhere not a goddamn person in the world would think of. (ive got a good one) </TD></TR></TABLE>

Now you see how i feel with these repeated threads

GOD DAMNIT DO A ******* SEARCH YOU DAMN NEWB!!!!
there have a been 3 topics this week
Old 11-10-2005, 10:06 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (JDMlyfestyle)

Here is what you do.....You install a switch that kills the fuel pump. You can use a valve that allows the fuel level to allow a thief a half a block or so headstart. Your cars dies...(If you test this yourself you will know exactly how far away your car will get. You can use the valve to set the distance.) Sorta like a comfort zone. This allow you to either get your gun or call the cops. Try to refrain from using your gun if at all possible.....Whats going to happen is when the car dies on the thief he will sit there and try to get the car running again. Chances are he will feel safe as the car is no longer in front of the owners house. As it will look to everyone else that he's just another broke down person. It's easy for people to say "expletive that I will kill a m/f. But think of this. Most car theives work in pairs. A look out and a thief. They may have guns of there own. Just feel lucky that the cars that are getting stolen are not "car jackings."

Here is one I bet of you have never heard of.

I was going to describe this but I did a search and found this. Keep in mind that this is from the 50's and parts are ALOT SMALLER now days.

http://www.installer.com/tech/oldalarm.html
Old 11-10-2005, 10:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how to prevent cars from being stolen (O RLY)

i suggest sleeping in the back seat with a shotgun. Cause then you got a thief or two off the street, and some fresh meat.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:48 PM

i agree with ^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 11-10-2005, 10:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Layered security combined with common sense and paranoia.

Alarm, the Club, and Driveway Patrol is a good start. Add more as funds become available. Disconnect the cable releases for the trunk and hood.

Security should always be the first mod after buying a car.
Old 11-10-2005, 11:30 PM
vc

Default Re: how to prevent cars from being stolen (rodrez.)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rodrez. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Everyone has heard the saying "if they really want it, they'll get it" but making the attempt as long and difficult as possible will better your chances of them failing. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I second that.
Old 11-11-2005, 04:43 AM

one of the best things you can do is not ever live in california. when you move to california, its a requirement that your honda gets stolen.