Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

rear lug nut broke now its stuck!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear lug nut broke now its stuck!

well to start i hav a 92 civic w/ a 94 integra rear disc convo. now that's outa the way, i gotz a problem. one of the lug nuts broke inside the rim and now its stuck. i tried drillin it out and everything but its completely stuck. i was wondering if i could remove the 32mm bolt from the back of the assembly and pull the whole rim/rotor/everything apart to see if i can remove the wheel stud from the back. please help me out cuz i really need 2 get it fixed w/in this week or today. thanks.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: rear lug nut broke now its stuck! (koolkevin1107)

A little confused. Is the nut still on but broken or is it just the stud, bent not allowing the rim to come off. take a pic and post it. I once used a torch to cut a broken lug nut messed up the rim slightly. There are lug nut removal tools that can take off broken/stripped/keyed nuts. I think regardless you will need to remove the wheel to fix, wether it's on the trailing arm assembly or not.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: rear lug nut broke now its stuck! (dognutz)

ok well i added some pix 2 show u whats up. the lug nut is broken inside the rim itself and won't budge. i tried drilling it out but nothing is happening and its taking FOREVER. I was wondering if i could unbolt the whole assembly from the 32mm in the back of the trailing arm and that would free up the whole assmembly, rotor and all so i could take it somwehre for them 2 drill it out.

Old 11-08-2005, 11:40 AM
I forgot more about hondas then you will ever know....

Location: hop,skip, and a jump from the city,, new friggin york, USA

man, i wish you posted this earlier before you started drilling. i could have removed that with an air chisel. you still might be able to finesse it, but you butchered it up pretty good.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:41 AM

Holy **** that rim is torched!! I would try hammer the expletive out of it from the backside once you get all the other lugs off. As drilled out as the one is, it should break once you start hammering
Old 11-08-2005, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: rear lug nut broke now its stuck! (Rodney)

i wasnt thinkin cuz it was my bday yesterday so i was like occupied w/ that and tryin 2 get this lil bitch out at the same time. help me out what u guys got ideas from? i heard i can cut the stud from the back and push it through the front? yes? no?
Old 11-08-2005, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: rear lug nut broke now its stuck! (SRCivic97)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SRCivic97 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Holy **** that rim is torched!! I would try hammer the expletive out of it from the backside once you get all the other lugs off. As drilled out as the one is, it should break once you start hammering</TD></TR></TABLE>

the rim only loks bad but its jus dirty there isnt any real scratches on it...plus there is a center cover for the lugs so it hides it all.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i've done this before when i strip the little screws on the rotors, but keep drilling and keep going up in size. you want to bore it out. eventually it will brake, freeing up the wheel. sound crazy and time consuming, but it's cheaper than paying someone to do it, and works!

**EDIT** what if you unbolt the caliper from the rear then unbolt the hub bolt and jimmy it a little it should come off. well atleast thats what i'm mentally picturing when i look at your pics.

i hope i've helped, GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-08-2005, 12:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: rear lug nut broke now its stuck! (philosofy1)

if you want to, you can take off that nut, remove the caliper, and pull the wheel and hub off. You'll be destroying a wheel bearing and your wheel will still be stuck to the hub. If you do this, what do you plan to do to get the wheel off the hub once its off the rest of the car?
Old 11-08-2005, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: rear lug nut broke now its stuck! (IHateJDM)

ya i realized that i will be and trashed the idea of removing the hub so i got some advice from luserkid (best guy in the world). he said 2 grind down the back of the stud (after removing the caliper...17" rims means lots of clearance) and punch it from the back through the front. If that doesnt work im jus gonna get a quote from this dude that i was referred to by luserkid (best guy in the world) and see what he sais. if u guys have any other ideas....please help me out. thanks.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you know some one with oxy-acetylene tourch that will get it in 5 seconds. Just heat to melting point and blow out with oxygen. I have done this it's easy and quick. You could even drive it to shop ( leave the other three lugs on ) and have it done and then go home and finish the repair. You might want to protect the rim from sparks and what not.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: rear lug nut broke now its stuck! (dognutz)

hmm never thought of that. maybe i'll see if i can get that done. u think i could melt the stud from the back off so i can push the whole stud and broken lug through the front?
Old 11-11-2005, 04:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Why, are you concearned about the rim. At worst it will mess up the seat slightly but, you will still have three other lugs. If you can get a clear shot at it you might try it from the back. I still think the front maybe better. You might even try just getting it molten hot and just pulling the rim off.