Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

how hard is it to swap a crankshaft out

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 09:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how hard is it to swap a crankshaft out

hey guys i ran across this car here where i live . i have a crx and i am somewhat good at fixing stuff i did a motor swap by myself anyways... this is a new beast for me heres a little info
UP FOR SALE IS MY 1994 HONDA CIVIC LX SEDAN. THIS IS A "PARTS OR PROJECT" . THE HARMONIC BALANCER PULLEY SOMEHOW GOT LOOSE AND ROUNDED OFF THE KEYWAY ON THE CRANKSHAFT. I TRIED WELDING ON A NEW BALANCER BUT THE PULLEY STILL WOBBLES AND KICKS OFF ALL THE BELTS. SO THE MOTOR NEEDS A NEW CRANK & PULLEY. IT STILL FIRES RIGHT UP AND RUNS AND DRIVES, BUT WITH NO BELTS ON THE ACCESSORIES YOU HAVE NO ALTERNATOR, A/C, OR POWER STEERING. THAT IS WHAT HAPPENED. I DON'T HAVE TIME TO WORK ON THE MOTOR OR PART THE CAR OUT SO I AM SELLING IT .

how hard is it to swap out somone wanna give me a quick how too so i know what i might be getting into
Old 06-22-2008, 09:38 PM

Default Re: how hard is it to swap a crankshaft out (fenix4o9)

buy another crank and take the short block to a mechanic... that way ,you don't have to reseat the pistons and what not
Old 06-22-2008, 10:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: how hard is it to swap a crankshaft out (fenix4o9)

to do it the right way the motor should come out of the car be stripped down to almost the bare block. You are basicly looking at a rebuilding the bottom end because you will need new berings to go with the new crank shaft and a gasket kit to put it back together. While you are at it you might as well toss new rings at it while its all apaprt.

I hope that helps
Old 06-22-2008, 10:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: how hard is it to swap a crankshaft out (Scotty Dosent Know)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Scotty Dosent Know &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">to do it the right way the motor should come out of the car be stripped down to almost the bare block. You are basicly looking at a rebuilding the bottom end because you will need new berings to go with the new crank shaft and a gasket kit to put it back together. While you are at it you might as well toss new rings at it while its all apaprt.

I hope that helps </TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah what he siad i just got an ls long block and did the exact same thing spun bearing. new crank, rods, bearing, fun good now tho.. but def wouldnt recomend it if your going into it blind..
Old 06-22-2008, 10:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

um, just get a new block, seriously unless you just want to take on the project.

new block shouldn't cost you more then a couple hundred, or if you know someone like me with sohc laying around the garage who would give you one.

good luck.