Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

What is wrong with my buddies motor?

Old 11-16-2005, 07:30 PM
* B A N N E D *

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is wrong with my buddies motor?

My friend has a stock eg coupe lx. He told that his car is having major problems. What is happening is that the crankshaft is falling out of place? What happens is when he drives he loses power and the alternator belt comes off, then he losses power steering, then his motor dies. He says this happens routeenly(sp?) every few months. When it starts he has about 20 minutes to drive till all the belts break or slide off and the crankshaft falls off/out and the crank pulley moves from outward from its orignal position. He takes it to the mechanic and he welds the crankshat back in place supposedly (or he sticks it back in place only to fall out a few months later and make more money I don't know). Have any of you ever heard of anything like this before?? It all seems so strange to me.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What is wrong with my buddies motor? (cbmprelude)

well for all the troubles andmoney spent itd be cheaper to buy a long block and just swap it
Old 11-16-2005, 07:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem once. The threads inside the crankshaft and crankshaft pulley bolt are stripped, so the crankshaft pully bolt keeps falling off, which causes the pulley to fall off. You could try doing what i did. You need a 14mm 1.25 thread pitch tap. Try tapping the hole out as best you can and then spread some metalized epoxy putty on the bolt then torque it back in as best you can. Wait about half an hour before starting it. This bought me another year before i had to just pull the motor out and swap in another one. Otherwise, you could just have it welded back on or something like that. Either way their's no real permanent fix.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well for all the troubles andmoney spent itd be cheaper to buy a long block and just swap it </TD></TR></TABLE>

I got stranded out of town when it fell off again.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:17 AM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: What is wrong with my buddies motor? (coquitlamEG)

yea he said the mechanic keeps having weld it back on. Isnt this motor an interfernce motor? When the pistons are still moving and the valvetrain stops won't they touch? Also where is a good place to find a used motor that is the same or nearly the same as the original?
Old 11-17-2005, 03:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is an interference motor, but the crankshaft pulley falling off won't cause the valvetrain to stop. The timing belt would have to fall off with it for that to happen. You can find longblocks all over the place. Local junkyards, or if you have a jdm engine importing shop in your area, you can go pick one up there(less mileage for the same price )
Old 11-17-2005, 04:43 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The crankshaft isn't falling out of place, the crank pulley is coming off. If the crankshaft fell out of place, it would only have to do so one time to completely expletive up your friend's world.

Regardless, it'll be much easier to get a $200 longblock from your local junkyard and take a weekend to put it in than to keep troubleshooting this issue.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What is wrong with my buddies motor? (Archidictus)

yup, what i said