Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How to get smoother ride? Civic Ex 99 Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 How to get smoother ride? Civic Ex 99 Coupe

I just realized that my car is very sensitive to road condition and very bumpy to drive. A lot of times, I can even feel the crack or unsmoothness of the road while driving on highway. It's so uncomfortable.

So I want to make my car much smoother to drive. What part(s) of the car do I need to replace/upgrade to make it happen? I don't drive aggressively nor hit the brake really hard. Just regular driving style.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:09 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: How to get smoother ride? Civic Ex 99 Coupe

How do you expect us to answer that question if you don't give any information about the current suspension?

Is it lowered? If so, what springs, spring rates, and what shocks are on the car. Have you replaced anything suspension wise on the car?
Old 06-21-2012, 09:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry, I'm a noob on this. No, it's OEM, it's not lowered or anything. I have not replaced anything suspension-wise since I bought the car. I left it alone.

BTW, I'm a regular Honda user and have yet to do any fancy modification to my car. Just regular maintenance stuff like oil change, transmission fluid, sparks plug and all that (done by technician).
Old 06-21-2012, 10:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by thereisacat
I just realized that my car is very sensitive to road condition and very bumpy to drive. A lot of times, I can even feel the crack or unsmoothness of the road while driving on highway. It's so uncomfortable.

So I want to make my car much smoother to drive. What part(s) of the car do I need to replace/upgrade to make it happen? I don't drive aggressively nor hit the brake really hard. Just regular driving style.
Yeah I feel you,
bumpy ride,
when ever you hit a dip car slams in the back like you have tones of bricks back there? Yeap, it might be you shocks/susp system. Us unlucky ones been through the same thing your going through with a stock 96-00.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:23 PM
Master Detailer

How many miles on the car? I would suspect the shocks are blown.

When is the last time the car was aligned?

it may be time for ball joints, tie rods and bushings. Unfortunetly these cars aren't getting any younger, and parts don't last for ever.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EKNOOBLB
Yeah I feel you,
bumpy ride,
when ever you hit a dip car slams in the back like you have tones of bricks back there? Yeap, it might be you shocks/susp system. Us unlucky ones been through the same thing your going through with a stock 96-00.
Yeah. Not "that" bad but very close. So since you're saying that I need to replace the shocks/susp system, what's the recommended brand/products that will be comfortable to ride on and reliable for EX 99? BTW, I'm not a racer and I don't brake hard so I don't need the super top of the line products that cost $$$$$$$$$.

Originally Posted by 98civdx
How many miles on the car? I would suspect the shocks are blown.

When is the last time the car was aligned?

it may be time for ball joints, tie rods and bushings. Unfortunetly these cars aren't getting any younger, and parts don't last for ever.
It's 148,500 miles and it was both balanced and aligned 2 weeks ago by technicians. I always balance and align the wheels at least once a year. Interestingly enough, the technicians hasn't said anything about the condition of the wheels (suspension/shocks/ball joins/tie rods etc.). I check my tire pressures once a week to make sure they're around 29-32 psi.

Last edited by thereisacat; 06-22-2012 at 11:40 AM.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What tire size do you have now? The lower the tire height, the bumpier it will be.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:38 AM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

to answer the question, get the crappiest, thinnest sidewall tires you can find. WalMart usually sells these.
then just wait for your shocks to wear out, then you will have a ride like 78 cadillac. trust me, you wont feel anymore cracks in the road.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by axis11
What tire size do you have now? The lower the tire height, the bumpier it will be.
They're 185-65-R14

Originally Posted by EsotericImage
to answer the question, get the crappiest, thinnest sidewall tires you can find. WalMart usually sells these.
then just wait for your shocks to wear out, then you will have a ride like 78 cadillac. trust me, you wont feel anymore cracks in the road.
Lol good one but that's mad crazy

Now that I think about it, I'd be willing to spend some serious money if it deems necessary to get this problem fixed. Maybe $600 - $1000-ish. Of course, less is better. But I prefer quality stuff, especially the ones with the most bang for the buck.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No problem with your tires. Check your struts as mentioned by the others. Even OEM parts dont last forever.Put your weight on top of each corner of the car and see how much resistance it has. Does it come back up springing fast and bouncing?
Old 06-22-2012, 01:03 PM
Master Detailer

Do the bounce test.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If your really looking to spend that amount of money then run d2s. By far the best set up I've ever had
Old 06-24-2012, 03:46 PM
Master Detailer

Originally Posted by Lou845
If your really looking to spend that amount of money then run d2s. By far the best set up I've ever had
Get this ****ing bullshit out of here. DO NOT buy D2.

if that is best you've had, you need to up your standards big time.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Springs, shocks, tie rods, ball joints, rear control arms, rear trailing arm bushings, If you want the smoothest ride OEM is the way to go. Eibach Pro-kit will give you a slight drop and using tokico blues as shocks are quite comfortable.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:53 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I wouldn't go with lowering springs. You run the risk of not sitting evenly after they are installed.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Get this ****ing bullshit out of here. DO NOT buy D2.

if that is best you've had, you need to up your standards big time.
I've had several sets of coilovers, I'm not talking spring and adjusters I'm talking one piece, Ive had tein street advance, function and form, and d2. If OP said he wanted to spend over 1k his options would be more but with the budget he's in, and the fact that he's looking for a smoother ride, not stance or slamming it on the ground, I feel d2 wouldn't be bad IMO. What would u suggest ?
Old 06-24-2012, 06:26 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had several sets of coilovers, I'm not talking spring and adjusters I'm talking one piece, Ive had tein street advance, function and form, and d2. If OP said he wanted to spend over 1k his options would be more but with the budget he's in, and the fact that he's looking for a smoother ride, not stance or slamming it on the ground, I feel d2 wouldn't be bad IMO. What would u suggest ?
OEM/OEM replacement, period.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:28 PM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what most of everyone is forgetting is that tires touch the road. huge/thin sidewalls will take most of shock before the suspension.

so running 40 or 50 series is out of the question.. try the oem size 185/65 with thin sidewalls and youll have a smooth ride. handling will be crap, performance will be crap, but youll love the smooth ride.

look at all the older luxury cars, 70/75 series tires. theres no secret the ride is in the tires
Old 06-24-2012, 06:37 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by EsotericImage
what most of everyone is forgetting is that tires touch the road. huge/thin sidewalls will take most of shock before the suspension.

so running 40 or 50 series is out of the question.. try the oem size 185/65 with thin sidewalls and youll have a smooth ride. handling will be crap, performance will be crap, but youll love the smooth ride.

look at all the older luxury cars, 70/75 series tires. theres no secret the ride is in the tires
OP already said he was running 185/65R14, the stock size.

OP, it also depends on what kind of tires you have. The $40 special will not be anywhere near as comfortable as a good, reliable, long lasting set of Michelins. A few good, inexpensive options would be Goodyear Integrity or General Altimax. They have 50k/70k warranties, respectively, and are both smooth-riding tires.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:16 PM
Master Detailer

Ok, first off, "one peice" doesn't mean ****. They aren't any better, and wont last any longer.
All those coilovers you listed are for fan boys who don't know what quality parts are, and going slam their cars just to look pretty in a parking lot.

All you are doing is blindy reccomending parts.

He is clearly looking for a comfy, non bouncy/rough ride. That is not something D2 can give you. And even then, there are much better opinons then that ****.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
I wouldn't go with lowering springs. You run the risk of not sitting evenly after they are installed.
yeah, if you buy garbage, Eibach is far from garbage. I've had 2 sets on Integras, friends have had them on Civics/Integras and never any issues. Lower quality springs sag, or sit unevenly. For daily driver the pro-kit is an excellent replacement over OEM. I don't advise OEM shocks though. I've had great results with tokico blues, most like the whites.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yup, i've been riding on Eibach Pro-Kit and KYB Gas shocks for 8 years now with zero probs...
Old 06-26-2012, 02:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

OP, if shocks, engine/gearbox/suspension mounts/rubbers are all new & oem, it would obviously help.

if i were to isolate one area : replace the rubber that sits in the top shock mount, together with new shocks/dampers.

ps: stiffer/sportier springs/shocks are not the answer for a smoother softer ride :/

Last edited by vtec-8400rpm; 06-26-2012 at 03:40 AM.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Do the bounce test.
okay i did bounce test and they bounce a bit more than they should. Not "that" bad but still noticeable.

Thanks for all the suggestions, lots of great info! And yes, I'm not looking to lower the ride or anything. I just want nice, soft comfortable ride with small/almost no shock on the road.

I'm a bit hesistant to use OEM version because its is not that smooth either. This is '99 model, afterall not the later years models with smoother suspension.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I find OEM pretty darn comfortable. Have you tried comparing with a friend with the same car and OEM suspension?

That would help to figure out if it's a problem or if its just your car.