Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How does having slotted rotors and better brake pads affect me?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2003, 09:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How does having slotted rotors and better brake pads affect me?

How would it affect me as in... if i stepped on the brake it would be have a quicker response time? How does it work exactly.........?
Old 01-05-2003, 09:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How does having slotted rotors and better brake pads affect me? (psychotic)

Better brake pads will help you but slotted/cross drilled will not.
Old 01-06-2003, 05:07 AM

Default Re: How does having slotted rotors and better brake pads affect me? (psychotic)

When brake pads are heated up after hard driving, the pads start to gas which in turn pushes back on the pad, since this gas has no where to go. The slots in the rotor let this gas escape, providing a slightly firmerpedal
Old 01-06-2003, 05:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How does having slotted rotors and better brake pads affect me? (XKWISIT1)

Or maybe its because under extreme driving conditions (read lots of fast track time) the rotors heat up. Then modified rotors may cool better, preventing warping and other fun stuff at high temps. Most suggest just getting brembro blanks though, large surface cools very well and people track them. Also, many will say that both cross-drilled and slotted will basically leave you with a fairly weak rotor, unless you spend $$$.
Old 01-06-2003, 05:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How does having slotted rotors and better brake pads affect me? (XKWISIT1)

When brake pads are heated up after hard driving, the pads start to gas which in turn pushes back on the pad, since this gas has no where to go. The slots in the rotor let this gas escape, providing a slightly firmerpedal
we dont use 1960's technology anymore there buddy.
thats a myth that is completely wrong.

slotted rotors dont do **** except take money out of your wallet.
but the cheapest rotors you can find.
Old 01-06-2003, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How does having slotted rotors and better brake pads affect me? (Doctor CorteZ)

Slotting

Slotting rotors, on the other hand, might be a consideration if your sanctioning body allows for it. Cutting thin slots across the face of the rotor can actually help to clean the face of the brake pads over time, helping to reduce the ‘glazing’ often found during high-speed use which can lower the coefficient of friction. While there may still be a small concern over creating stress risers in the face of the rotor, if the slots are shallow and cut properly, the trade-off appears to be worth the risk. (Have you looked at a NASCAR rotor lately?)
Taken from http://www.teamscr.com/rotors.htm

Anyways, I'm running on powerslot slotted rotors and I'm happy with them. However if I had it to do all over again, I would save some money and buy some brembo blanks. The slotted rotors are doing much for me.