Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How bad coudl i hurt my head?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How bad coudl i hurt my head?

*could (for topic name )

Well.. ive been thinking and after losing two races over the weekend i have made up my mind to do my engine work first then the suspention.. i have to do what my heart tells me... ... so i have the D16z6 engine... (goal is to boost the HELL out of it but the whole thing need rebuild.) Problem is i dont have the money to do the top and bottom end all at once, so i figuard i would build the top, build it strong enough to boost whatever i want to and rev to 9000 or better, put it on my D15b7 block (minime) and play with it till i save up and build the bottom... (sleves rods pistons bearings bore block guard.. ect ect...) OK NOW THE PROBLEM! if i build the top and put some serious money and parts into it and shop time into it, if i happen to spin a bearings, is there any chance that i could ruin my head.. mainly the valves...? i dont want to spend 1-2 grand on the head and screw it all up, so is it posibal to hurt anything doing a minime if i would tear the bottem end to shreds (not saying i want to,)...? or could i use a slightly thicker head gasket jsut to be on the safe side...? im mostly worried about one of the pistons over extending at high revs and hitting a valve. what should o lookout for or be worried about doing a mini me with a strongly built head..? (sorry for the long post.. i was bored haha)

Old 06-06-2005, 08:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How bad coudl i hurt my head? (JDMKid71)

you could **** up your head if you boost the hell out of it and you spin a bearin. it may not happen but it can. my buddy fucked up his head when a bearing let go in his GSR, the head was toast
Old 06-06-2005, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How bad coudl i hurt my head? (hatch34)

well im not going to boost it till i get the bottom end done... for now i plan on building the top, putting it on, and running it like that (maybe adding a header and CAI) then boosting it when i get the bottom done... so w/o boost i should be ok... any other opinions...?
Old 06-06-2005, 09:02 PM

You can't boost whatever you want just because you got a built head. $1000 is all you need for a well built head, $1000 for pistons rods and bearings, gaskets, etc. Then invest about $800 for Hondata and tuning. You'll need it. Go faster, engine last longer. Keep the D alive.
Old 06-06-2005, 09:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How bad coudl i hurt my head? (BoostedCivic85)

noo im not going to boost whatever i wanted at the moment... down the line i will boost what i want however, im going to drop about 3-4 grand total into the engine with out the turbo or electronics hopefully... its my project car for the next 5 years... the engine will be build to run a turbo... but no turbo will be put on it utill vary last, when then ill be just getting out of collage... and yes i am going to run hondata, or maybe a SL unit... i dont know yet... my primary concern at the moment is to build the head and work my way up the ladder (or down however you want to look at it)
Old 06-06-2005, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Buy another d series or ls motor and build it on an engine stand outside of your car.
Old 06-06-2005, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How bad coudl i hurt my head? (chowmien)

i am... but alot of the head work, and block work (porting, polishing, milling, boring, ect) i cant do becuase i dont have the equitment to do it... and i dont have the money to build the whole engien at once.. so insted of the head just sitting off to the side while i build the bottom... i thought i woudl atleast get some use out of it seeing that im in need for something a little faster!!! i have a completly stock D15b7 with a lightweight Flywheel on it... ITS SLOW people.. lmao
Old 06-06-2005, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump

will i hurt my head with out boost but reving to high rpms... how hight can i rev the stock b15 block...?
Old 06-07-2005, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump
Old 06-07-2005, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 06-07-2005, 06:23 PM

Check your PM's.
Old 06-07-2005, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How bad coudl i hurt my head? (jlacoy82)

Ive read a few places that you should really rev past the stock limit because of the rod stroke. why are you so set on head work by the way? you will end up spending a lot of money and not seeing significant gains. spend the money on rods and pistons and start saving for the turbo components.
Old 06-07-2005, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How bad coudl i hurt my head? (luti)

I would the car will be daily drivin, i drive extreamly hard. i would rather spend the money and get good parts and make sure everything will work right and have less of a chance of ruining or wearing out something then just do the minimum and taking that chance (if that makes sence) i need to get the head ported, ploished and re surfaced anyhow.. i i figuar ill just get everything done...
Old 06-07-2005, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

maybe I didnt catch it but why do you HAVE to do headwork? I suggest you do some more reading because from the things you have said I highly doubt you are sure of what goals you would actually like to get, how realistic they are, or how much any of this would cost.

Modified by luti at 11:22 PM 6/7/2005
Old 06-07-2005, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Over reved, over heated (Warped), bent valve from valve float messed up the valve guide also... plus im planning on boosting upwards of 15psi so i need/want good internals. (I did nto over rev or head the engine the kid i got it from did)
Old 06-07-2005, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMKid71 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Over reved, over heated (Warped), bent valve from valve float messed up the valve guide also... plus im planning on boosting upwards of 15psi so i need/want good internals. (I did nto over rev or head the engine the kid i got it from did)</TD></TR></TABLE>

I would suggest you buy a spare head and just replace the one you wrecked.
all you would need to run 15+ psi on a D is rods and pistons.
you've got A LOT of reading to do if you plan on putting 4 grand into your d-series before your turbo kit and fuel management. I cant tell you how much is wrong with all this.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

why do you think that...? Anyone else have any thoughts this? That i would only need rods and pistons to run 15+psi...?
Old 06-08-2005, 05:29 AM

You're just doing a minime, right? Not doing a complete swap?

If you're just swapping the head I would not swap the head until I had internals for the block. I'd get the forged pistons, rods, bearings, and gaskets. Then I'd get a descent turbo setup. Almost forgot to add, ARP studs. I've heard a lot of talk about D series floating heads and heads warping.

I'd get the lower internals swapped out when you did the head swap (since the head will already be off) and then I would turbo and tune it.

Then once you get the money I would build the head w/ springs/retainers and a turbo cam. Im not 100% sure of the differences between the NA cams and the turbo cams, but they've got to be different.

I'm about to start working on a turbo D16Z6, sold my B18 yesterday. What I plan on doing, after the tune-up and compression check is start getting the little things I need like the capacitors, resistors, and chips for uberdata; new fuel pump; injectors; a new manifold (turbo setup I have is meant for B series); wideband 02 and all gauges/sensors.

After I get all that installed and start to boost the current motor at about 7psi I'm going to buy a 2nd D16Z6 because they're supposedly cheap and build the entire motor, starting with the block.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMKid71 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why do you think that...? Anyone else have any thoughts this? That i would only need rods and pistons to run 15+psi...?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't know. Would a D series valve-train stand up to that? Might need to get the motor sleeved, I know D series are supposed to have weak sleeves.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How bad coudl i hurt my head? (sped rcr)

ok, Im going to try this one more time. why are you saying you want to do all these things when you have not even stated clear hp or performance goals??? a lot of people hear some BS and just take it as fact and spread it around the net without even doing so much as researching themselves.

here is a thread for reference. has info on how to build a 300+ whp D (I dont know if thats what you want since you never stated a power or performance goal)
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1260832

more links to 15psi boosted D's on stock sleeves
http://www.evans-tuning.com/fo...=1391
http://www.evans-tuning.com/fo...=1271
http://www.evans-tuning.com/fo...t=814

10psi and 250+ whp STOCK
http://www.evans-tuning.com/fo...=2017

you seem young and interested in doing this and doing it right so do yourself a favor and do the reading up on it yourself. it will pay off in the long run and you wont be spending 3-4 grand on your block and head alone for absolutely no reason.
Old 06-08-2005, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

First off, if you are gonna be pingin the rev limiter all the time save your money and headache, if you wanna be fast boost now, blow it up and get another motor with the money you save and build that one, dont waste money on building the head now wen u are just gonna run the **** outta it and risk damging it. D-series are dime a dozen dude 400 bucks all day long, boost it stock with a good tune and youll be happy, i promise.
Old 06-08-2005, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Bseriescivic5)

reving a d series to 9 grand isnt the greatest idea. Just because you built the head to handle 9k doesnt mean anything else will hold up. Your motor will be starving for oil at high rpm. you know what no oil means?

And if you spend $4000 on your head your stock D is still gunna be slow.
Old 06-08-2005, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (kabaroo)

Ok the only helpful advice I believe I got out from this was from Luti, actually 300 whp was my goal, knowing I will need to get all new components for the block, oil pump and such. I said 15psi because I have not read up much on how much I will need to boost to reach 300whp... I think I will need to get a new water and oil pump (high performance) and I know I will need new sleeves.. I plan on getting darton sleeves..(good idea I think.) for the time being I know what I need to do to the head for it to handle 300hp... as far as the block I think I have made it quite clear I知 not working on it yet, therefore I have not read much on it.... as far as my stock rev limiter... what are you thinking... when I will be revving to 9000rpm... don稚 you think ill have some other type of computer in my car other than the stock p28... Matter of fact when I知 running the 300whp, plan to have a complete separate engine management system, and I DO believe I will take it and get it tuned by a good reputable shop someplace, and I will set my ignition and fuel maps, along with my rev limiter, and all other components... No. I have not read up much on &gt; Fuel, Block, ignition, Cooling, Turbo, or drivetrain yet. I have the head in my garage and it is the one in best condition so I want to build it. I simply was asking for advice, not for everyone to tell me what they think I should do with my car... I知 17 and just learning my car and engine, I知 not an expert and that why I知 on here... to ask questions and give advice about topics I do know about, to people that know less than me. so everyone that has talked down about me and my goals can kiss my ***... However everyone that has been patient with me and tried to help me out thank you. And thank you much for those links Luti. Later
Old 06-09-2005, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

we arnt here to put you down bro but honestly if you wanna go fast...300whp obviously and your on a budget...17 years you are, then the best bang for your buck is not gonna be building the head. 300whp outta a d-series is gonna require all of the above both block, head and turbo + good tune. so my suggestion would be to get a turbo kit together now, boost your stock motor on light boost, and be fast, while on the side, you slowly build a monster d-series capable of making 300 whp which is your goal. I would no suggest building the head right now and runnin the **** outta it when you are no where close to finishing your turbo setup....just wasted ware and tear on the head.
Old 06-09-2005, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDMKid71)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMKid71 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok the only helpful advice I believe I got out from this was from Luti, actually 300 whp was my goal, knowing I will need to get all new components for the block, oil pump and such. I said 15psi because I have not read up much on how much I will need to boost to reach 300whp... I think I will need to get a new water and oil pump (high performance) and I know I will need new sleeves.. I plan on getting darton sleeves..(good idea I think.) for the time being I know what I need to do to the head for it to handle 300hp... as far as the block I think I have made it quite clear I知 not working on it yet, therefore I have not read much on it.... as far as my stock rev limiter... what are you thinking... when I will be revving to 9000rpm... don稚 you think ill have some other type of computer in my car other than the stock p28... Matter of fact when I知 running the 300whp, plan to have a complete separate engine management system, and I DO believe I will take it and get it tuned by a good reputable shop someplace, and I will set my ignition and fuel maps, along with my rev limiter, and all other components... No. I have not read up much on &gt; Fuel, Block, ignition, Cooling, Turbo, or drivetrain yet. I have the head in my garage and it is the one in best condition so I want to build it. I simply was asking for advice, not for everyone to tell me what they think I should do with my car... I知 17 and just learning my car and engine, I知 not an expert and that why I知 on here... to ask questions and give advice about topics I do know about, to people that know less than me. so everyone that has talked down about me and my goals can kiss my ***... However everyone that has been patient with me and tried to help me out thank you. And thank you much for those links Luti. Later</TD></TR></TABLE>

I dont think you read all the links yet but a few corrections;

*OEM oil and water pump
*stock sleeves are fine
*reving to 9K wouldnt be a good idea (all the ones in the links use stock rev limiter)
*use chipped ecu & crome/hondata, etc
*save your money on the head work (port/polish/valve job isnt worth it in my opinion. 1000 bucks for a few hp and if you are going turbo it wouldnt make sense to do all that and have a turbo cam and be n/a)
Old 06-09-2005, 07:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Bseriescivic5)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bseriescivic5 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">we arnt here to put you down bro but honestly if you wanna go fast...300whp obviously and your on a budget...17 years you are, then the best bang for your buck is not gonna be building the head. 300whp outta a d-series is gonna require all of the above both block, head and turbo + good tune. so my suggestion would be to get a turbo kit together now, boost your stock motor on light boost, and be fast, while on the side, you slowly build a monster d-series capable of making 300 whp which is your goal. I would no suggest building the head right now and runnin the **** outta it when you are no where close to finishing your turbo setup....just wasted ware and tear on the head.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for the advice.. it actualy sounds more logical than what i was thinking before... i just need to find some shops around that will tune it. or help me tune it. ill start looking into a turbo set-up. Thanks again guys!