Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Honda Del Sol Interior

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Del Sol Interior

Hey guys I have an 1992 Honda del sol. I'm currently doing some work to get it ready for the spring. I'm taking apart the interior to redo it the color scheme i want. I was wondering what my best option would be. Should I have the interior parts wrapped the color I want or should I go out and buy interior paint and have them painted. If the paint option is the best where can I buy a decent interior paint and how many coats should I do each piece. Thank you guys for your help.
Old 02-02-2015, 01:06 PM
I am Jack's...

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Honda Del Sol Interior

Interior paint is hit and miss without very major cleaning effort. I have never been able to make it look good longer than a year on older camaro door panels and dashes. I gave up on it really and would fully suggest you try to learn a new skill like upholstery and customization. There are many threads here detailing the efforts made and skill required. Very good results have been posted if you look for them. Not hard work, just new skills that take a bit longer to get through without some tips and good pics.
I have 2 DelSols and love these cars. Most everything in them is black and grey, though there is some room for color on the door panels and seats. Changing the color of the plastic parts permanently is about impossible if you want it to look very good for a long time. Just bumping it with your keys getting in and out will reveal the original color fast. Now multiply that by foot scuffs and finger nails etc..

PS welcome to HT!
Old 02-02-2015, 01:45 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, paint is a pain in the ***. It's not worth it. Your easiest (relative term) solution would be to find an interior you like, and swap it in. Seats are pretty easy. A dash can be a little harder to source, but there are options in different international markets that aren't available state-side that you could order and have shipped (at an obvious cost). If you want to make it cheaper, avoid paint, and reupholster it yourself, or pay a professional. Dashes and doors can be pretty easily re-done with fade resistant vinyl (or leather, if you want to spend the coin on it), and door cloth is stupidly easy to do. Seats are a little more complex, and I would definitely recommend either having them professionally done, or just finding another set of seats you like and swapping them in.
Old 02-02-2015, 08:36 PM
Sol to Sol

Yeah, never seen a stock Del Sol interior other than Black/grey.

The ones I have were painted with vinyl spray paint. And usually just the door panels and rear trim. Never the black plastic parts. And like they say above, chips and flakes easy.

Now a re-upholster might work, but unless you did it all yourself would cost way too much. Might as well move up to an S2000 then lol.

Good luck!
Old 02-03-2015, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the advice guys. I planned on replacing the seats with racing seats with the color scheme that I want but for the rest Im totally lost on. I've been watching multiple videos on how to replace the door panels which doesn't seem to hard to do and Im looking into ordering a custom carpet kit. As for the dash and other plastic pieces Im at a lost. I wanted to have them professional done as well as having someone put in the new carpet but due to my location in New York that is a tad difficult. Nobody around here does reupholster so most likely I'll be leaving the state for that kind of work.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:49 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by Token_Tay
Thanks for the advice guys. I planned on replacing the seats with racing seats with the color scheme that I want but for the rest Im totally lost on. I've been watching multiple videos on how to replace the door panels which doesn't seem to hard to do and Im looking into ordering a custom carpet kit. As for the dash and other plastic pieces Im at a lost. I wanted to have them professional done as well as having someone put in the new carpet but due to my location in New York that is a tad difficult. Nobody around here does reupholster so most likely I'll be leaving the state for that kind of work.
What I've done with my del sol is simply wrapped the existing fading parts in Vivvid Vinyl. Its great stuff, easy to work with, all you need is a heat gun and a couple people to heat and stretch it. Did my whole interior for ~$100 and about 3 hours of mine and my bros time Obviously this works much better if your old stuff is dirty and not torn. Seems to hold up pretty good too, as they use it to wrap exteriors of cars
Old 02-03-2015, 01:40 PM
Sol to Sol

I forgot that there used to be a guy on that certain auction site, that sold re-upholster sets. I didn't see it when I just looked, but I didn't look too hard. Just search a bit in sol/interior.

Also, you can do the carpet if you have any skills at all. I got one with extra padding so it didn't need a ton of deadening. A Utility knife, FRESH BLADES and a cheap soldering iron for poking sealed holes really helps too. Seats out, and rear trim is really all you need to remove.

Rear trim is a lil trickier. Take the center panel out. It pops off with plastic clips. Then unscrew speakers covers pull them STRAIGHT FORWARD (FRONT OF CAR!), then the lower trim and personal trunk just unscrews.

Door panel comes off with a screw behind the lil plug behind the pull handle. (magnetic screwdriver helps to put it ON, but if you loose it taking off, it will fall our when you pop the panel off) Take the latch off. the rest pops off starting at the lower corner to the other one. Has lil plastic clips behind it, and they are cheap if you happen to tear one up. Then lift it UP off the top of the door.

Its really easy once you do it once. (Practice at a junk yard? lol) Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
Old 02-05-2015, 05:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I was able to find some of the stuff I was looking for on a couple auction sites. Ordered the racing seats (thanks JarvisW for the advice on where to look) as well as the carpet kit, shift handle, ebrake handle, gauge pod, gauge cluster dash trim and a few other things. The fun part is going to be installing everything lol. I even found some of the plastic pieces in the color I want. I wanted to ask does anyone know where I can get custom gauges. I didn't find any I liked on the sites I was using. I tried searching on Google but don't know which sites are legit and safe so if anyone knows that would be a big help. I'm thinking voltage, turbo gauge and oil temp.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you're planning on mounting gauges in an a pillar pod using standard size gauges, just buy one of the known quality gauge brands. I like VDO, Autometer and Accel are good as well. You can spend hours on Jeg's looking at gauges. As accompany Jeg's has been around for years and has a great reputation.

Weather permitting I'll be putting carpet in this weekend. I went with ACC carpet with a matching set of floor mats. Hopefully the carpet is as good a fit as the mats they were perfect.

Is your Sol European or Japan delivery?
Old 02-05-2015, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fearthephoenix
What I've done with my del sol is simply wrapped the existing fading parts in Vivvid Vinyl. Its great stuff, easy to work with, all you need is a heat gun and a couple people to heat and stretch it. Did my whole interior for ~$100 and about 3 hours of mine and my bros time Obviously this works much better if your old stuff is dirty and not torn. Seems to hold up pretty good too, as they use it to wrap exteriors of cars
Not familiar with that brand but some of the wraps from 3M are pretty tough. Been thinking of doing some pieces with their brushed steel or aluminum stuff.
Old 02-11-2015, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I want to think everyone for all there advice. I ended up using the spray method. I found a thread on here that proved useful. I cleaned and scrubbed the plastic pieces to remove the previous paint. I used SEM soap to do this. Next I used SEM plastic cleaner and then SEM sand free adhision promotor. When the sand free was wet I began spraying the color on using a light coat. The sand free pulls in the color to the plastic pores. Then I applied 4 coats with about 15 minutes in between coats and it came out perfectly.