Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

HID question

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID question

Ive searched and read and searched and read. Maybe im not looking in the right places. Ive got a H1 HID kit and ide like to retro it in my 99 Hatch. My question is this: is a halogen and a HID projector assembly the same?

i also dont know if this is even posted in the right place
Old 11-09-2006, 11:56 AM
Darth ModerVader

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: HID question (slambedcivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slambedcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My question is this: is a halogen and a HID projector assembly the same?</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, halogen projector assemblies are designed to work with a specific halogen light source, whereas HID projector assemblies are designed to work with an HID light source. Pairing an HID capsule with a halogen projector unit will not produce ideal results.
Old 11-09-2006, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HID question (Padawan)

will it work without blinding the hell out of oncoming drivers?
Old 11-09-2006, 01:28 PM
Darth ModerVader

Are you going to be installing the HID kit into aftermarket Civic projector headlights? If so, it most likely won't be terribly blinding, but the resulting light output will probably not be very good. You'll almost certainly end up with hot spots and a beam pattern that has poor dispersion and depth.
Old 11-09-2006, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

okay, what about these plug and play kits? i know the light cutoff wont be nearly the same as a retrofit, but will they blind people?
Old 11-09-2006, 02:21 PM
Darth ModerVader

A plug-and-play kit in the stock Civic reflector headlamps is going to produce even poorer results, with much more glare.
Old 11-09-2006, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so just do it right and do the retrofit?
Old 11-09-2006, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My friend did a plug n play 8K kit in his 99 Si and it didnt look bad at all. I dont remember what the cut-off looked like but I do remember it wasnt glarey or blinding. And it was about 100% better lighting of the road for sure!
Old 11-09-2006, 03:29 PM
Darth ModerVader

Default Re: HID question (JDM_teh_WIN!!)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM_teh_WIN!! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My friend did a plug n play 8K kit in his 99 Si and it didnt look bad at all. I dont remember what the cut-off looked like but I do remember it wasnt glarey or blinding. And it was about 100% better lighting of the road for sure!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Here we go again...
Old 11-09-2006, 03:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I know what your talking about, but being that I have actually see it first hand I can say I would do it even in my 96-98 JDM headlights which have the lines on them.
Old 11-09-2006, 03:36 PM
Darth ModerVader

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM_teh_WIN!! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I know what your talking about, but being that I have actually see it first hand I can say I would do it even in my 96-98 JDM headlights which have the lines on them. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Just because you'd do it doesn't mean that the results are desirable.
Old 11-09-2006, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Padawan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Just because you'd do it doesn't mean that the results are desirable. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i, on the other hand, am looking for something that is gonna be crisp, clear, and harmless to other drivers. but cost effective at the same time
Old 11-09-2006, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah but they arent as undesireable as some people make it out to be. Yeah if you want a stock looking HID cutoff then yeah do a retro fit, but that means getting some style of projector headlights for a civic, which in my opinion is worse. I have never seen anyone put a projector in a stock civic headlight housing. Has it been done?
Old 11-09-2006, 03:47 PM
Darth ModerVader

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM_teh_WIN!! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah but they arent as undesireable as some people make it out to be. Yeah if you want a stock looking HID cutoff then yeah do a retro fit, but that means getting some style of projector headlights for a civic, which in my opinion is worse. I have never seen anyone put a projector in a stock civic headlight housing. Has it been done?</TD></TR></TABLE>

They are every bit as undesirable as people make them out to be. If you install an 8000K drop-in HID kit into stock Civic housings, you end up with lousy blue/purple light and an uneven beam pattern with excessive glare and poor light control. Retrofitting OEM HID projectors into aftermarket Civic projector housings is certainly not worse than using a drop-in kit. The results of such a retrofit would be very similar to a factory HID setup, which is far better than any drop-in kit. As for putting projectors into the stock housings, sure it's been done, but it isn't as easy as using aftermarket housings that are already designed for projectors, and such housings also have the benefit of a halogen high beam.
Old 11-09-2006, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Padawan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

They are every bit as undesirable as people make them out to be. If you install an 8000K drop-in HID kit into stock Civic housings, you end up with lousy blue/purple light and an uneven beam pattern with excessive glare and poor light control. Retrofitting OEM HID projectors into aftermarket Civic projector housings is certainly not worse than using a drop-in kit. The results of such a retrofit would be very similar to a factory HID setup, which is far better than any drop-in kit. As for putting projectors into the stock housings, sure it's been done, but it isn't as easy as using aftermarket housings that are already designed for projectors, and such housings also have the benefit of a halogen high beam. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Sorry Projetors in a Civic is not my style. I personally did not think it looked as bad as you descibe it. the lighting over stock is much better and the glare and uneven beam pattern just wasnt that there with this kit. I personally perfer a 5K kit. (dont really like purple or blue.) But hey, if this guy wants to put projector housing headlights in his civic than by all means do a retro fit. If not. I think a plug n play kit would be just as good.
Old 11-09-2006, 04:56 PM
Darth ModerVader

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM_teh_WIN!! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Sorry Projetors in a Civic is not my style. I personally did not think it looked as bad as you descibe it. the lighting over stock is much better and the glare and uneven beam pattern just wasnt that there with this kit. I personally perfer a 5K kit. (dont really like purple or blue.) But hey, if this guy wants to put projector housing headlights in his civic than by all means do a retro fit. If not. I think a plug n play kit would be just as good.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I can assure you that the the results were nowhere near comparable to a true OEM HID setup, and if you compared the two side by side, it would be very clear how poor the performance of the drop-in kit was. I am not trying to be argumentative, but your contention that a drop-in kit would be "just as good" as a retrofit is incorrect, and that's not a matter of opinion but an actual fact. The stock Civic housings are poor to begin with, and when overloaded with an HID kit, the shortcomings of those housings are exacerbated.
Old 11-09-2006, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I agree, you will have a better lighting situation with projectors.
Old 11-09-2006, 05:02 PM

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=683685

Try searching a little harder. This thread has just about everything you would need or want to know about retro fit HID systems.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HID question (JDM-97CX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM-97CX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=683685

Try searching a little harder. This thread has just about everything you would need or want to know about retro fit HID systems.</TD></TR></TABLE>

seems to me you searched REALLY hard for that one. since i DID search and couldnt find what i was looking for. that ******* thread is three years old and most recent post was a year ago. get the hell off of the "try searching" bandwagon. im sick of people like you. but thanks for the link.

and to the other guys, thanks as well. looks like im gonna get some black housing projectors and do a retro fit!
Old 11-09-2006, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

alot of good that three year old thread does me with almost NONE of the pictures being hosted anylonger
Old 11-12-2006, 06:49 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slambedcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">alot of good that three year old thread does me with almost NONE of the pictures being hosted anylonger</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea almost none huh? There is ONE missing form the original post.

I don't see that things have changed so dramatically that none of the information in the thread, that took me all of ten seconds to find (I typed "HID" into the search and clicked on archived content), would be at all useful.

Blow me.
Old 11-12-2006, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HID question (JDM-97CX)

JDM-97CX (10:46 PM 11/12/2006):
You know just because I sent a link that was a little old gives you no right to snap at me. You are obviously one of the more "mature" members of this so call tech forum. It's OK though, you still drive a P.O.S. civic. Seems like you've done real well for yourself so far. Maybe you wouldn't have to be such a **** if you could do something with your worthless life and buy a car that comes with HID's. Oh wait, you are one of those people that spends their life on the internet looking for the chance to try to humiliate some one. Good luck never amounting to anything.

Old 11-12-2006, 07:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

at no point in any area in this thread did i "snap". however i did ask a simple question and it has since been answered. i pointed out the fact that none of the information in the thread you linked me to really helped me. and yes, at the age of almost 22 ive done extremely well for myself since i come from a family with almost nothing and i work anywhere from 50-60 hours a week. im pretty ******* happy to own, and maintain my vehicles all by myself. youre "e-thug" mentality will accomplish nothing on the forum, nor will it intimidate me. i dont have time for people like you. that thread has not shown me ONE picture (not that i need pictures) nor has it given me the answer to the question i posted in the first post. my recomendation for you: stick needles in your eyes and go play in traffic you useless piece of ****.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

children quit crying.......

original poster....read up on HIDplanet.com for all your HID needs. This site is about making Honda's go fast.

Seriously you will find more info on HIDplanet.com than anywhere else.

LOTs of pictures and how to's.

Please for the love of God, DO NOT put in a plug a play kit.

Hooking up your car is an expensive hobby that you really will never get your money back. If you can't afford this hobby, maybe you should find something else like needle point, or sewing.

I spend $550 on my HID setup including a new set of TYC projectors. How is this expensive if people buy $500 dollar headers and exhaust for their mostly stock car?

OH, BTW....you didn't search very good, cause you didn't come accross my pictures. They're out there.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HID question (mike1114)

i did go back into that thread that he posted and yes, there were many pictures. but none viewable on my home PC. for what reasons i do not know.

im completly new to the lighting thing. however i have about 6k into a setup right now thats going into this 99 hatch that i picked up 2 weeks ago. ive been racing, maintaining and building my own streetable hondas for 4 years now. i know its not a cheap hobby. not to mention working on other peoples hondas/acuras as a side job 3-4 nights a week.

as for searching. i refined my search to find the answers that i was looking for. didnt find them. i use the search function much more often than most people on here. i know it works, and i get a lot of help from it. ill do a search on your name and look for your threads as well as checking out HIDplanet! thank you very much for you helpful information!