Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

HELP!! wont start!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2006, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!! wont start!!

well right through a rod in my 1.6. in my 94 coupe . so my head was still good so i did a mini swap. the motor is in. it will only will turn over. never start.... ok from the begin. we did a compression test on the cycinders. 100/120/90/140. spark plug have been volt meterr. they are good... first my coil was out in my distributor. so we swap that out. and now im getting a good. spark. so we set the timing again. with the distributor in the head. but we would not turn the cam gear. so we pulled it out. set the block TDC. pulled the valve cover off set the cam on number one intake stroke. to where the valves on the back side of the head on the number one cylinder was moving up and down. then double check the crank TDC. put the timeing belt on and then throw the distributor in. set the plugs. by the book once. and then by 1432. still work not start. my lines are good. my harness is good. my starter is good. only think i can think of is that the timing is off some or. the piston and spark plugs are too flooded with fuel. cause i have crank it alot alot. with it not running so the spark plugs are covered in fuel when you pull them out. my boy said that maybe i need to pull the plugs and wipe them off or buy new ones. and then poor alil of oil down to the pistons. to get the compression on the cylinder walls. cause the fuel is not allowing compression for the block to run.. one more thing im getting a lil blow by out the dip stick. white smoke.

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME OUT I HHAVE BEEN WORKING ON THIS. FOR ABOUT 2 WEEKS. TRYING TO GET IT TO RUN. if there is anyone in the austin fort hood area to help me please call me 1-512-563-8084. or chirp me. 142*5000*1469. i will pay someone for getting my car to run or finding out the problem. my name is Jose Rosario thanks
Old 07-01-2006, 09:28 AM

Default Re: HELP!! wont start!! (coupedragracing)

Are you sure the rotor button is point at the number 1 plug when your putting the dizzy on?

That is some pretty sh*ty compression numbers also. When i bent my valves i had numbers like that and the only way i could get it started and keep it runing is by holding the gas pedal or playing with it bouncing it from 1/8 tho 1/2 throttle then i got sick of doing that so i adjusted the idle screw out flush with the tb so it let a lot of air in at idle and when trying to start it to get and keep it running.

blow by out the dip stick? is that air coming out of it?(push it down all the way and seal it) if so then your rings are shot. with 90 on one of the cylinders it should still run though

I belive white smoke is water or colant, blue is oil and black is fuel
Old 07-01-2006, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hmm ill have to check that. im not really sure what you mean by that. can you explain more on the dizzy part. im still geting to know hondas. lol. thanks
Old 07-01-2006, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i know that my dizzy hole for the bolts on the block didnt line up very good. so i have my dizzy the flat part of it down. the flat part is down by the tranny
Old 07-01-2006, 09:41 AM

Default Re: (coupedragracing)

at the end of the cam where the dizzy goes there is a slot on it. on the end of the dizzy where it goes on the head there is a little wheel thing with a rectangle thing sticking out of it the goes into the slot on the cam. when you have the dizzy off set the motor to tdc then point the rotor button to the number 1 wire or tab on the cap. i belive its the bottom left tab on the cap. point it at like 7 o'clock then fit the dizzy onto the head

ican try to reexplain it agian if needed.

ps: it might only go on the right way im not sure but i would check it if i was in your position
Old 07-01-2006, 09:42 AM

Default Re: (aziz93)

no the flat part goes up
Old 07-01-2006, 09:46 AM

set the motor to tdc with the dizzy off. when you put it back on have the flat part up and the cap off! Point(the part the spits the spark) the rotor botton to about 7-8 o'clock and slide the dizzy on.

besure to lube up the o-rigns on it first so they dont roll back
Old 07-01-2006, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

say thanks lot will be check that out in a bit ill get back to you
Old 07-01-2006, 09:51 AM

yeah, let me know what happens, let me know if you need more info
Old 07-01-2006, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok so its firing but still not starting... it was the best sound i heard all day. or out of all the starts... thanks for the help. got any more sugguestions. the starter start to smoke alot . but its still good though
Old 07-01-2006, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i did notice about what you was saying about the trotttle postion. i had the puddle all the way down to about 3/4 to half it work out better. let me know with more sugguestion. starter got really hot and smoking so we going to give it a rest. but i think it might start on the next try
Old 07-01-2006, 10:56 AM

yeah dont crank it for to long no more then 15 sec.. or so. try to play with the gas pedal just to let extra air in the motor for improved compression
Old 07-01-2006, 11:00 AM

while it is cooling clean the plugs off
Old 07-02-2006, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hey man. well got the car to run. but i think it is only running off 2 cylinders. cause you know how you can pull the spark plugs out and it will start to die. in that cylinder. only 3 4 do it and i can take 1 2 out and motor dont die...... so i though my spark plugs wires were bad. but i brought band new ones and still same problem. and it still has a hard time starting .. so my buddy so that my 1.6 head. vavles could be bend from when i throw a rod. but i look at them and they look ok. so now i throw the non vtec head on the block. i just got to do timing now and we will see if it runs better. caus e iif it dont. then the rings i think are shot incylinders one and 2... another thing after it ran. we pulled the plugs out to wipe them off and number 2 had nothing on it. 1 3 4 where black and dirty again. but 2 was clean like the car was never running. so if this dont work now then im going to get my money back for that shiit *** block i brought and the guy told me it ran.
Old 07-02-2006, 07:44 AM

you cant tell if the valves are bent or not seating properly by eye unless its way out of whack. if the #2 plug is the only one clean. from what you said about the plugs being dirty except for one then it sounds like thats the only cylinder with the proper air/fuel ratio.

if you say you had air coming from the dipstick then you definitly have bad rings therfor a sh*t block.

just a question? are you trying to put together a car to drive daily? with the compression #'s you posted earlier then you will never get the motor running right without rebuilding, you should be able to start it and keep it runing though. so just make sure all your wires are right, tps is set correctly and your getting fuel
Old 07-02-2006, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yea rings are bad its expletive.. so goin to try to get my money bad. and i dont feel like building. so i think im just going to buy a brand new motor.