Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Help with radio

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 04:49 PM
JHP
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Help with radio

I bought my 98 ex from a friend who had installed an aftermarket radio in the car. One day she tells me that she found the original radio and if I wanted it, if not it would go in the trash. I said ok, ill take it. I decided to test it out to see if it still works. Who ever installed the current radio in the car did one hell of a wiring job. Im not sure if hondas are different but ive installed a few radios in cars before and have never seen anything like this. The stock radio had two connections in the back of it, a green one and a grey one. The grey plug had a harness connected to it and that was wired up to the aftermarket radio. the green plug was not connected to anything but it had two wires stripped and connected together with a small piece of wire. I removed the wires connecting the two wires on the green plug and disconnected the grey harness and connected both the grey and green plug to the oem radio. It worked right away, no need for a code or anything. After i had enough of that i decided to reconnect the aftermarket one again. I reversed everything i did to remove it and now it will not start up. I was thinking that maybe i burnt a fuse out but i checked the one on the panel that is labeled radio/clock and it was fine. Any ideas on how I can get it working again?
Old 03-04-2009, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help with radio

I'm running into the same problem with mine, but my grey plug was cut off. I hardwired the aftermarket wiring to the car wiring and the aftermarket radio will not turn on. I took out the dash everything looks fine, and I have a red/black wire (light on something) that I didn't connect anywhere and wont turn the radio on. I'm gonna take my after market back and see if I switch the radio if that fixes my prob. I have a 93 dx hatch btw. Hopefully your stuff start up again. I would get the wiring diagram for the 98 ex and for the aftermarket radio and make sure everything is properly hooked up, but might as well stick with the OEM unit until you do.

There is also a fuse under the hood too, you could check, and the fuse in the aftermarket radio itself.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JHP
I bought my 98 ex from a friend who had installed an aftermarket radio in the car. One day she tells me that she found the original radio and if I wanted it, if not it would go in the trash. I said ok, ill take it. I decided to test it out to see if it still works. Who ever installed the current radio in the car did one hell of a wiring job. Im not sure if hondas are different but ive installed a few radios in cars before and have never seen anything like this. The stock radio had two connections in the back of it, a green one and a grey one. The grey plug had a harness connected to it and that was wired up to the aftermarket radio. the green plug was not connected to anything but it had two wires stripped and connected together with a small piece of wire. I removed the wires connecting the two wires on the green plug and disconnected the grey harness and connected both the grey and green plug to the oem radio. It worked right away, no need for a code or anything. After i had enough of that i decided to reconnect the aftermarket one again. I reversed everything i did to remove it and now it will not start up. I was thinking that maybe i burnt a fuse out but i checked the one on the panel that is labeled radio/clock and it was fine. Any ideas on how I can get it working again?

Grey plug for the radio. Green plug is for the stock alarm in the head unit. The wires twisted together is most likely for the dome light to turn on when the doors opens.

Originally Posted by fireblaze2k1
I'm running into the same problem with mine, but my grey plug was cut off. I hardwired the aftermarket wiring to the car wiring and the aftermarket radio will not turn on. I took out the dash everything looks fine, and I have a red/black wire (light on something) that I didn't connect anywhere and wont turn the radio on. I'm gonna take my after market back and see if I switch the radio if that fixes my prob. I have a 93 dx hatch btw. Hopefully your stuff start up again. I would get the wiring diagram for the 98 ex and for the aftermarket radio and make sure everything is properly hooked up, but might as well stick with the OEM unit until you do.

There is also a fuse under the hood too, you could check, and the fuse in the aftermarket radio itself.
That Red and black wire is the dimmer.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:14 AM

yeah, i have a 96 ex that i just bought and the guy put an aftermarket alpine in it, i have the old radio to splice into the new one so that the remote can work for the locks. I just wondered if anyone had any advice on doin this. I also have the issue of the center light not coming on when the doors open. can this be fixed? thanks
Old 03-04-2009, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bumpp
Old 03-04-2009, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Here the link for the dome light trick. https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/diy-96-98-civic-dome-light-fix-after-installing-aftermarket-radio-2214962/

I heard of people tucking the radio under the cup holder to keep the keyless entry.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:03 PM

yeah, thats what i was told to do, just splice the old radio into the new one and then the remote entry will work, i may be a bit dumb but that tip on the center light was kinda hard to see, maybe a verbalo explanation is better.... thanks....
Old 03-04-2009, 02:39 PM
JHP
Honda-Tech Member

i have to check on the under hood fuse, i know its not the one on the radio because that was my first though and it is fine. I have an aftermarket alarm that does the keyless entry too so i know that its not the green plug. That must br controlling the dome light like Nbboy7 said. Ill get back to you guys soon......
Old 03-04-2009, 09:21 PM
JHP
Honda-Tech Member

checked all fuses and nothing wrong with them. Anything else I can try? Its like there is nor power going to the radio. What can i check to see if it is?
Old 03-04-2009, 09:34 PM

idk dude, the only thing that i can think of is that ur radio is not wired properly.... maybe someone else would know more
Old 03-04-2009, 11:49 PM

I have a 93 EJ1 and the guy I bought it from had an aftermarket cd player in it....well the power and sound both started cutting out from time to time...sometimes it would be just the sound and other times the power. So I figured it was just screwed up, so I put in a different cd player. He had hardwired the old aftermarket cd player cuz he melted over six inches of the power wire completely off and fused several others together. So I replaced the whole subharness....didn't fix it so i checked all the fuses and it ended up being the fuse under the hood that blew...then the sound kept cutting in and out and that was due to a bad ground on the passenger side speaker. But I finally got it working right. Basically what I'm sayin is check all the fuses...and all the wires....then when you get that done if it doesn't work....do it again...It took me countless hours to finally get everything worked out right. Good luck mayne!
Old 03-05-2009, 12:10 AM
JHP
Honda-Tech Member

^ yeah, im sure its going to come down to me doing that. No time though. Still... Strange as it is it seems to connect you more to your car when all you hear is the sound of your engine and the noise of the road. Dont know how long I can deal with that though..... Ill keep you guys posted.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:47 AM
New User

also check the fuse under the dash and under the hood had the same exact problem with mine but instead of replacing the fuse under the dash i replaced it under the hood and it worked great. hope it helps
Old 03-09-2009, 12:20 PM

over the weekend i finally fixed the problem that i had (to those who read my posts), i was able to splice the new radio into the old one and was able to still be able to use the remote. Maybe someone else can help on this, if i was to get a new remote for my car (96 ex) how would i go about programming it to my car? Thanks