Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Help! No Brakes When Making Turns!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! No Brakes When Making Turns!

Ok, I just swapped out my suspension (Springs, struts, upper control arms) on my 97 EX last night. When I was leaving, I cut the wheel to the left and hit the brakes, got no pedal instantly. I turned the wheel straight, pumped the pedal up and got good pedal.

Pretty much when I cut the wheel all the way to the left or right, I get no pedal at all, but if I have the wheel straight, I get good pedal. I'm completely stumped. I don't see any leaks or anything.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Help! No Brakes When Making Turns! (d16ej8)

Did you reconnect the brake lines to the brackets on the shock body? These hold them out of them way of moving suspension/steering components.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Help! No Brakes When Making Turns! (d16ej8)

i got 5 on it that says you have the shocks up front backwards (right on the left side , left on the right side) seen it happen. when the shocks are on the wrong side and the wheels are fully turned there isnt enough clearance for the calipers so your brake pedal will go flat to the floor just at that time.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help! No Brakes When Making Turns! (dividedas1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DaiJekBok &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Did you reconnect the brake lines to the brackets on the shock body? These hold them out of them way of moving suspension/steering components.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The brake lines on 96-00 civics bolt to the knuckle, so I didn't take them loose

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dividedas1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i got 5 on it that says you have the shocks up front backwards (right on the left side , left on the right side) seen it happen. when the shocks are on the wrong side and the wheels are fully turned there isnt enough clearance for the calipers so your brake pedal will go flat to the floor just at that time. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Ok, I'll try that. Thanks
Old 04-04-2007, 11:57 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dividedas1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i got 5 on it that says you have the shocks up front backwards (right on the left side , left on the right side) seen it happen. when the shocks are on the wrong side and the wheels are fully turned there isnt enough clearance for the calipers so your brake pedal will go flat to the floor just at that time. </TD></TR></TABLE>

care to elaborate on that?

I thought that the shocks were only front and rear, not left and right. I'd be intersted to see how that affects the braking.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:06 PM

Default Re: Help! No Brakes When Making Turns! (JDMFantasy2k)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMFantasy2k &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

care to elaborate on that?

I thought that the shocks were only front and rear, not left and right. I'd be intersted to see how that affects the braking. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well obviously you know there are front and rear shocks. Well see there is Front Left and front right. If you install them backwards it hits the caliper but only when the steering wheel is cranked to its fullest left or right. Think about it if something was to obstruct the movement of the caliper hows it gonna work? i dont know how to explain it any better then that.

When i redid the suspension on my civic that is what i did. I put the front left on the front right and etc. Just like the op said my brakes worked just fine untill i had to make a turn where the steering wheel was cranked all the way to the left or the right. I was stumped so i took it to my friends shop. They looked at it said the shocks were flipped around. As soon as they moved the shocks to their proper sides i had brakes all the time again.

*edit* i have a 95 coupe.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:43 PM

Default Re: Help! No Brakes When Making Turns! (JJSpecTuning)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JJSpecTuning &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my friends axle nut was loose once and the brakes didn't work</TD></TR></TABLE>

the OP said that he changed springs, struts and upper control arms. I doubt the axle nut was ever loosened during that. If he had brakes that worked fine before all the new suspension parts were put in it sounds like something was installed improperally. More than likely it wasnt the new springs or control arms because those are both pretty self explanitory. check the struts im sure thats your problem
Old 04-04-2007, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dividedas1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

the OP said that he changed springs, struts and upper control arms. I doubt the axle nut was ever loosened during that. If he had brakes that worked fine before all the new suspension parts were put in it sounds like something was installed improperally. More than likely it wasnt the new springs or control arms because those are both pretty self explanitory. check the struts im sure thats your problem </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, figured out the problem. I never checked the forks for left and right when I put them on. My buddy handed them to me and handed me the left for right and vice verse. I swapped sides with the forks and it works perfect. Thanks again for the advise man