Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Help with LS/VTEC

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with LS/VTEC

I bought a car a day ago, with an LS/VTEC. The guy gave me a rundown of the build, but in all honesty, I can't be 100% on if he even knows. With that said I will give a list of the parts.

The car is loping like a subaru boxer engine. General consensus is that it is a bent valve. I'm likely to agree. However.... I don't have any erratic idle (the car idles at 700 to 800 no problem. Doesn't move at all, and doesn't "lope".) AND, the car still has power. Lot's of it. But dyno says 200 whp easily. No smoke either. (does seem to burn a lot of gas though. That could just be the tune, but I want to list everything)

The guy that sold me the car, said it was the exhaust making the subbie sound. I was reluctant, and then when I drove the car, I could "feel" it coming from the engine.

I'm told it has full Skunk2 valve train (valves, springs, retainers) ITR cams, and ITR block internals (pistons, rods) The car is tuned on Chrome with a P28. Has ITR 4-1 header. MSD external coil (I can't find, or see any MSD 6aL, or anything though)

so, help me. I don't want to pull the head if I don't have to. I'm gonna do a compression check. Is there any other causes you guys can think of? I'm gonna check the timing. Help me out Honda-Tech.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help with LS/VTEC

I have been searching HT a lot about this, and some people are saying that if the car runs fine, pulls hard, idles good, then there isn't anything wrong.

Does anyone think the same? I'd hate to screw something up in the long run.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help with LS/VTEC

I would go with your first idea to compression test it. No harm no foul if it checks out fine your probably ok. Only way to be 100% is to pull the head and have it inspected.