Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

help? lights stated dimming then car shut off, ecu went nuts.

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 01:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help? lights stated dimming then car shut off, ecu/relay went nuts.

i know this has probly been asked but im kinda in a bind cause i was on my way to work when this happened now my car is parking in some lot a lil from my house i need to try and diagnos this prob to get my car out of the lot.

anyways car ran fine yesterday woke up to leave for work today started up and i drove away. car started acting up a few hundred feet from my house and would jerk back and forth when i would hit the gas suddenly the car just shut off, with the keys still turned to the acc power i could hear my ecu or relay going crazy over on the passanger floor, clicking.

got the car pulled into the lot and tried to start it again. it wants to go but the ecu or main relay just starts going bonkers and the car wont kick over.

i got a 99 hatch with a 98 gsr motor in it with a obd1 ecu. the car ran fine since i did the swap about a month ago if that. i had a cel come on 23 (knock sensor) but that was doing no harm. its 2 damn dark out right now to look around at anything so im going to wait till i get some light and walk back and see if i can see anything.

wanted to get a quick idea if there is anything i should look for specificly, i still have all power and it wants to start it just wont kick over and the main rely just goes bonkers. sound like a ground problem, possibly on the trans?
Old 07-06-2007, 01:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: help? lights stated dimming then car shut off, ecu/relay went nuts. (.saint)

not sure if this helps you but i had a very similar problem. car acts up just like yours. found out that a wire that i had spliced into from the ecu was losing connectivity and was shorting out.

i would think that a wire somewhere near the ecu has been frayed/exposed and is shorting out....
Old 07-06-2007, 01:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks ill keep an eye out for that.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well i went back to the car and the relay wasnt going crazy but the car still didnt start. i popped the hood and looked at all the grounds, everything was tight. hopped back in the car and it started right up, but the CEL came on quick. im going to diagnos the CEL right now see what code im throwing if its still the knock im just really confused.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

damn, i drove the car home to check the CEL the old jumper trick with the socket under the passanger side dash. soon as i plugged the jumper in my car shut off and quit running. i tried to restart the car and its doing the same thing. it wants to start but its not. now it seems like its making a bunch of clunks under the hood. damnit, i dunno what the stupid deal is.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

everytime i get the car to turn over it runs for not even a second before it shuts off.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

still working on this...

i got the car to start but the idle was horrible it would go from 2K to 100 then back to 2K and just continue doing this till it finally stalled itself out.

the fuel pump turns on i checked the banjo fitting @ the fuel filter its getting fuel. pulled my spark plugs and they all seem fine typical wear but when i went to check spark, doing it by myself it was a bastard trying to see but it didnt seem like it was getting spark so im thinking the reason for the horrible idle was because of missfire? im gonna try finding a ride to pick up new plugs and see what happens with that.

but that still dont explain the wacked out relay problems i was having.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

welp...

pulled the ecu apart. water in the ECU. WTF! my car sat in the rainstorm lastnight and well it obviously has a leak.

i got the ecu dried off some and the car actually started. it sat @ like 2K idle for about a minute or 2 and then shut itself off.. the idle sounded horrible like it has a misfire. its deff the water ni the ecu that caused the prob and now i dunno if its fried or what but im gonna let it set for awhile to see what happens. maybe it will dry itself enough to where it will be ok.
Old 07-06-2007, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

deff was the prob. car starts now but im throwing a MAP code. fried that portion of the ECU im guessing. damn.