Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Help intercooler

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help intercooler

Really new to the scene so be patient with me. I was just wondering if a intercooler kit is better then cold air intake, and with an intercooler do I need to have a air bypass valve? And if anybody knows where they sell the complete kit tubing and intercooler I would be greatfully if you couldsupply a link or website name.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Help intercooler (Shaynepolevault)

you have absolutely no use for an intercooler unless your engine is turbocharged. if your looking for a cold air intake, aem makes a good one as well as many other companies. since you are new, please notice there is a red search button in the top right corner. this is a very useful tool for questions such as this. ...... and welcome to the site.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help intercooler (Shaynepolevault)

Do you have a turbo? Is it on your car?

If the answer to both questions is yes, your car WILL in fact benefit from an intercooler. If the answer is no to either of these questions, proceed to the questions below:

Are you talking about an interfooler? Are you talking about using an intercooler with a filter on the end of it, as if it were a "super" cold air intake?

If the answer is yes to the first of these questions, you will see no gain from this modification. One of those ricey interfooler intakes (shaped like an intercooler, but is really just a square filter on a thin palette in your grill), are proven to restrict airflow to the engine, due to the fact that though it may seem exposed to the outside air, it has a restrictive plastic guard on it, to protect it from rocks. If your answer is yes to the second of these questions, proceed to the response below:

You will still see no improvement over the simple cold air intake. Though you may think that the heat dispersion veins could be easily utilized in additionally cooling the outside air that goes into it, it can only be as cool as the ambient temperatures from where the air came. If you just want a cold air intake, get one, and be confident that you will get the optimal gains you seek. On a track environment, you could even retrofit a velocity stack for "ram-air" applications, to add to whatever little the intake gives you anyway.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Help intercooler (BlackoutVTi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Shaynepolevault &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Really new to the scene so be patient with me. I was just wondering if a intercooler kit is better then cold air intake, and with an intercooler do I need to have a air bypass valve? And if anybody knows where they sell the complete kit tubing and intercooler I would be greatfully if you couldsupply a link or website name.</TD></TR></TABLE>

An intercooler (as I learned, the same way) is for forced induction (turbocharger or supercharger) usage ONLY.

The reason behind this is simple. The veins of the intercooler are restrictive - they restrict the air flow. So if your engine is trying to pull the air all by itself, it will decrease your power. Though when you're turbocharging it's forcing air through there so the restriction becomes irrelevant - it does restrict, but when you're forcing air through there it lowers the pressure - but not to any high meaning.

Basically said: Your engine doesn't have enough power to pull the air by itself through the tiny veins of the intercooler. A cold air intake would be more beneficial as the tiny veins on the intercooler would only slow air down.

Old 08-24-2007, 01:45 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Help intercooler (BlackoutVTi)

Don't feed the trolls kids.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help intercooler (ek forever guy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek forever guy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Don't feed the trolls kids.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I like owning trolls with knowledge.