Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Help with fuel cut off switch

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 09:27 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with fuel cut off switch

The guy I bought my car from installed some little switch in center console area and when flipped it makes the car not get fuel and it doesnt start. Everything was fine but now im having weird issues with it, like sometimes it wont start even though the switch hasnt been touched, so I have to play with it then it starts, I basically want to rip it out, but I dont know where it is wired, and I dont want to risk damaging something. Has anyone ever heard of such a switch? And would you have any idea where it is wired?
Old 09-01-2009, 09:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help with fuel cut off switch

its probably a bad switch or loose wires. a new one can most likely be bought for cheap at any auto parts store. as a temporary fix(if you want a new switch) would be to just connect the two wires together. i had a bad switch on my car that just completely broke apart and my car broke down at a gas station. i thought i was out of gas and i filled up my tank and it still didnt start so i tied the two wires together and it started...Just thought i'd share my little story.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:53 PM

It sounds like it is wired to the fuel pump and someone did a bad wiring job. If you take out the center console and rear bins you will see the fuel pump and it should be wired to the green and yellow wire. I just wired one up and have had no problems...... yet!

if you are taking it out un-splice the switch wires and splice the green and yellow one back together and make sure you solder it and rap it good with electrical tape so you do not have these problems ever again.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:56 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by bretsmith93si
It sounds like it is wired to the fuel pump and someone did a bad wiring job. If you take out the center console and rear bins you will see the fuel pump and it should be wired to the green and yellow wire. I just wired one up and have had no problems...... yet!

if you are taking it out un-splice the switch wires and splice the green and yellow one back together and make sure you solder it and rap it good with electrical tape so you do not have these problems ever again.
Crap I dont have a soldering gun, looks like im going to need to go to a mechanic.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It would work without a soldering gun. Mine isn't soldered just wrapped together real well, but yeah its always better to use soldering gun.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:03 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

how hard would you say this is on a scale of 1-10? I am not very good with electrical stuff. Can I mess it up?
Old 09-01-2009, 10:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

very easy... I was a total noob back when I put one in my other EK
Old 09-01-2009, 10:08 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Ok man, I will give it a shot, The fuel pump is located under the back seats correct? So I need to take the side panels and back seats and move the carpet and it should be right there right? Would there happen to be a guide on this? Thanks for you help.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just start disassembling near the switch to see where he routed the wires. It's probably under the center console, under the carpet, back to under the rear seats. You don't need to remove the side panels near the back seats, just the bottom portion of the seat to get to the fuel pump. You should see that it's spliced there. If he routed it that far, there should be a relay somewhere along the wires. All you gotta do is remove the wires + relay that are connected to the yellow/green wire and you're done, just wire back the old wire and wrap it with electrical tape. To be honest with you, I say keep the kill switch, but reroute it somewhere closer to the fuel pump and more hidden. A kill switch is a handy thing to have in a car.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

All I did was remove the lower seat section on mine.

Yeah just remove the back lower section of the seat, there's no carpet under the backseats, and only take out the side panels if your going to run the wires within the panels. Search google/yahoo for a "fuel killswitch" I'm currently trying to find the one I used back then.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yup and so damn cheap and simple, its stupid not to have one. That's the 1st damn thing I did to my car when I 1st got it.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:39 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I just ripped out the THOR alarm and little chip kill thingy under the steering wheel, the kill switch is the only "safety" device I have left in there and it is going bad. I just want to take everything he did out and out me own stuff in.
Old 09-02-2009, 12:08 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Ok guys...... Now what?

Old 09-02-2009, 12:45 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Ok guys HERE we go =P

Old 09-02-2009, 03:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just get new gauge wire and a new switch and just switch out the old set up. Trust me, you'll want one. Get a soldering gun, worth your money. If you do mount the switch more than 3ft away from the fuel pump, you have to include a relay in the circuit. Go to audio and security, they give you a tutorial of how to do it.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes you want to take the extra wire off both of those ends. The ones going to the kill switch and wire the ones with the arrows linked back together. If you don't have a soldering gun, just just electrical tape or heat shrink if possible.