Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

cigarette lighter kill switch

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cigarette lighter kill switch

my friend has his car set up to where you have to push in the cigarette lighter in to be able to start the car. how do i wire it up like this in my crx? i have an 89 dx if it matters, thanx
Old 10-30-2009, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: cigarette lighter kill switch

That's pretty James Bond right there.
Old 10-30-2009, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not really hard to do. I have a set up kind of like your friends. Except I have a switch hidden in my CRX and you would need to turn it on in order to start the car. Pretty much it's a kill switch that, your friend has wired to his cigarette lighter. I vey good mod and easy to do.
Old 10-30-2009, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ya i already have a switch on the fuel pump, to where if the switch is off the fuel pump wont come on. i want to do this with the lighter just for another layer
Old 10-30-2009, 07:18 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

What do you want to put the "lighter" switch on, what do you want it to "kill"?

There are a number of ways to use the lighter or other switches in your car as "kill" switches, [phantom kill switch], what switch, [or lighter] you use and how it is wired will depend on what you want it to do, [kill what] and if you want it passive or active arming? 94
Old 10-31-2009, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fcm
What do you want to put the "lighter" switch on, what do you want it to "kill"?

There are a number of ways to use the lighter or other switches in your car as "kill" switches, [phantom kill switch], what switch, [or lighter] you use and how it is wired will depend on what you want it to do, [kill what] and if you want it passive or active arming? 94
it sounds like the op wants the lighter to be a kind of reverse kill switch (thats the best way i can think to describe it) so that the ignition is killed unless the lighter is pressed in.

i think you would need to find the wire that goes from the ignition to the starter. extend that wire and splice it into the lighter with the ignition side going into the positive and the starter side coming out of the negative side.

I BELIEVE THIS SHOULD WORK. PLEASE WAIT FOR SOMEONE TO CONFIRM THIS TO TRY IT. YOU COULD BLOW FUSES PRETTY EASILY. I HAVEN'T REALLY LOOKED INTO THAT.
Old 10-31-2009, 10:57 AM
fcm
Old Fart

I understand he wants it as a "kill switch" but kill what? 94
Old 10-31-2009, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the signal from the start position on the ignition and the starter motor.

*NOTE: I said start position only. this excludes the off, acc, and the on positions. This will make it so that the starter can not recieve the start signal unless the cigarette lighter is pushed in but the other positions on the ignition will be uneffected.

Last edited by cstone; 10-31-2009 at 12:23 PM.
Old 10-31-2009, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

remove + wire from lighter and do not reuse. attach a new wire to the lighter then run it to a relay for switched ground. find a switched hot source that does not turn off while cranking. use a 5 amp fuse run to the relay, interupt the small starter wire and you'r done.

keep close to starter motor hidden but accesible to replace.
5 pin relay
30 starter wire in
87 starter wire out
86 - lighter
85 + switched
87a not used
Old 10-31-2009, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 89turboaccord
remove + wire from lighter and do not reuse. attach a new wire to the lighter then run it to a relay for switched ground. find a switched hot source that does not turn off while cranking. use a 5 amp fuse run to the relay, interupt the small starter wire and you'r done.

keep close to starter motor hidden but accesible to replace.
5 pin relay
30 starter wire in
87 starter wire out
86 - lighter
85 + switched
87a not used
thats a better idea. i was thinking about something like that but couldnt think of how exactly to do it. i'm at work and dealing with customers so i dont have time to think for long periods of time.

Last edited by cstone; 10-31-2009 at 12:39 PM.
Old 10-31-2009, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fcm
I understand he wants it as a "kill switch" but kill what? 94
what do you think would be the easiest to do? ignition? starter? clutch switch maybe?
Old 10-31-2009, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by cstone
thats a better idea. i was thinking about something like that but couldn't think of how exactly to do it. I'm at work and dealing with customers so i don't have time to think for long periods of time.
relays are a great tool.

to the op that wiring on the relay will work with what ever you choose.

i picked the starter wire by the starter to increase difficulty.
you don't want to make it easy to get to or even stumble across.
Old 10-31-2009, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 89turboaccord
relays are a great tool.

to the op that wiring on the relay will work with what ever you choose.

i picked the starter wire by the starter to increase difficulty.
you don't want to make it easy to get to or even stumble across.
well idc if they find the switch, which most people wont think to push the cigarette lighter in to start the car. and this isnt my only means of security, i already have a hidden kill switch on the fuel pump and i have a gravity 2 way paging alarm with built in starter kill and im going to get a backup battery for the alarm and on the ay is a quick release steering wheel and i want to kill the clutch switch too on a hidden switch
Old 11-01-2009, 06:48 AM
fcm
Old Fart

So kill the CIS with the lighter, no relay required, cut lighters power lead, extend lighters power lead to reach CIS, cap off unused lighter power lead, [car side] cut CIS black lead, [ground input to switch] connect lighters extended power lead to the input of the CIS, your done.

Hint, a crook can't think of pushing lighter in to start car if lighter is not there, [removable switch] better yet, plug in a non working lighter as a dummy. 94
Old 11-01-2009, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fcm
So kill the CIS with the lighter, no relay required, cut lighters power lead, extend lighters power lead to reach CIS, cap off unused lighter power lead, [car side] cut CIS black lead, [ground input to switch] connect lighters extended power lead to the input of the CIS, your done.

Hint, a crook can't think of pushing lighter in to start car if lighter is not there, [removable switch] better yet, plug in a non working lighter as a dummy. 94
just a thought... wont this make cruise not disengauge when the clutch is pushed in?
Old 11-01-2009, 07:08 PM
fcm
Old Fart

CC would only be on if your driving, you would need to lighter in place to start car, just like any other kill switch the switch would have to be "on" to drive, but your right, if lighter was not in place CC would not shut down when clutch pressed. 94
Old 11-01-2009, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the problem here is that the lighter "switch" would only be on if the lighter was pressed in. not saying that it wouldn't work because of this. just that the clutch would only shut off CC if the lighter were pressed in. can you say rev. limiter? you would have to be careful if you did it that way. i would do it with the starter instead.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the reason that i thought of this is because i thought about buying a bimmer that was automatic because it was a really good deal and looked into doing a manual swap on it and a couple people broke some stuff before someone figured out how to make cruise fully functional after the swap because they would forget about it and try to shift while in cruise and the rpms were bouncing off the limiter before they realized what was happening
Old 11-02-2009, 05:36 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Shifting while in CC mode???

Who shifts when in CC mode, CC is used to maintain speed once you have reached it, you should already be in the proper gear before you engage CC.

Although I agree is will happen, it's not really any different then stepping on the clutch before taking your foot off the gas pedal, not something you would normally do, and if you do, you learn quickly not to, or you should learn not to. 94
Old 11-02-2009, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just a thought... wont this make cruise not disengauge when the clutch is pushed in?
thats good for me due to my crx not having cc
fcm: so i hook the input of the cis to ground and the other wire to +?
Old 11-02-2009, 11:17 AM
fcm
Old Fart

The black wire at the CIS is a ground, cut it and connect to the, [what was] the power lead to the lighter. 94
Old 11-02-2009, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fcm
Shifting while in CC mode???

Who shifts when in CC mode, CC is used to maintain speed once you have reached it, you should already be in the proper gear before you engage CC.

Although I agree is will happen, it's not really any different then stepping on the clutch before taking your foot off the gas pedal, not something you would normally do, and if you do, you learn quickly not to, or you should learn not to. 94
i down shift while in cc all the time. have you never been cruising and decide you want to pass the guy in front of you and down shift? my guess is you have. you probably just never thought of it because your clutch turns off cc. i know i never thought about it till i read about it.

in this application it doesnt apply since the op said his car doesnt have cc but it would be a good note for anyone who does have cc who wants to do something like this.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i've tought about doing something like that, but instead of using the lighter i tought of using the AC switch since i dont have AC
Old 11-02-2009, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't use the cig lighter. Although it's great that the lighter can act like a key, especially if you keep a dummy in there as fcm suggested, I find too many annoyances (momentary switch, loss of functionality). To do it right it becomes complicated and not worth it IMO when there are other options.

If you hit the clutch w/out disengaging CC first, the revs fly up before the CC is disengaged with a slight delay. Pretty annoying so I've learned to always kill CC first before downshifting. I thought this was strange but it has done this in both my Integras and in my wife's 01 Civic.

i down shift while in cc all the time. have you never been cruising and decide you want to pass the guy in front of you and down shift? my guess is you have. you probably just never thought of it because your clutch turns off cc. i know i never thought about it till i read about it.

in this application it doesnt apply since the op said his car doesnt have cc but it would be a good note for anyone who does have cc who wants to do something like this.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fcm

I would add a latch to that circuit so you dont get the momentary power loss and bumps wont deactivate your switch. Actually I'd probably make it so the cigarette lighter still worked too.

Quick Reply: cigarette lighter kill switch