Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

HELP!!! Engine trouble...overheating...I think?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 07:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!! Engine trouble...overheating...I think?

"Lately, it's seem that my car has been overheating. It's a '94 Honda Civic Ex with the 1.6l v-tec engine. I just had my water pump replace because it was leaking. Also the thermostat was replaced.

The car runs fine when cruising around 70-80 mph, but as soon as I slow down, the temp gauge in the dashboard sky rockets all the way near the red.

So I just took my car to the dealer and had them check it out...they couldn't find anything wrong with it.

I got my car back... took it home and on the way home I notice that the temp gauge goes up to half way then goes down.

Is this normal? I thought that the car temp usually stay at a certain level unless it is in stop and go traffic.

I'm thinking about changing the car temp sensing unit that is mounted onto the engine.

If you could posibly tell me what the problem is it would be greatly appreciated. Thankyou.

A: I would check at the connection from top rad hose to engine.... there should be a small air bleed valve to remove the last air pocket that causes this problem...."

I found this searching through google...I was wondering if anyone had any other advice because this same exact problem is happening with my 96' Civic EX...basically same car as this poor fellows. I too just had my water pump replaced and I don't even know if the car is overheating because I've actually drove with the temp guage over the H a couple times(once at night, once in the day) and no gaskets blew and it didn't even feel hot when i got home and popped the hood. It's scary but nothings happened yet....it happens about 10-15 minutes after I start driving and fluctuates...goes down when I hit the gas on the freeway. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!!!
Old 08-08-2006, 09:28 AM

Default Re: HELP!!! Engine trouble...overheating...I think? (nixin)

Noones got any advice whatsoever???
Old 08-08-2006, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds like air in the cooling system. If you bleed it and the problem persists, try replacing the radiator cap.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:05 AM

Default Re: HELP!!! Engine trouble...overheating...I think? (B20 EJ6)

Probably low on coolant.

Easy way to check is this:

When idling and temp goes up, press the gas to raise the rpms to around 2500ish. If the temnp goes down then you are low on coolant.

I know someone will chime in with "why don't you just take the cap off the radiator and check the coolant level"

Well because this test is for when you are driving. Like if you notice the temp rising. Do this simple test.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:55 PM

Default Re: HELP!!! Engine trouble...overheating...I think? (F20Cteg)

alright thanks guys, I'll let you know if that happens...so far that sounds like what's happening, when I'm idling it spikes, when I'm driving constantly Im fine.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:51 PM

Thanks guys....It was only low on coolant....now it's working fine. You cyber mechanics are awesome!!