Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

HELP!!!!!! d16y8 swap problems!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!!!!! d16y8 swap problems!!!!!

OK this is might get long...

To start: I bought a used 99 civic DX MANUAL coupe. My mom had a 00 EX AUTOMATIC. When she was rear ended, I thought it was the perfect opportunity for me to get a better engine, so I got a good deal and thats what I did. The y7 was swapped for the y8. Now after the swap i knew that there was a few problems.

FIRST: the auto y8 engine uses a different intake manifold...the auto manifold was kept on the y8 engine. ALSO the y7 exhaust manifold was used, the primary o2 sensor is on the y7 exhaust mani which is part of the catalytic converter.. (So the ONLY sensor that was being used after the swap is the one on the DX cat/mani) The second sensor was just tied to the side since I WAS going to go OBD1 turbo.

SECOND: the intake manifold on the manual y8 has different IACV and TB than the automatic. so i knew i would need to change that...The ECU currently being run was the stock DX manual ECU.

(hope you still with me)..So...I was driving the car fine with a CEL and weird idle(1900rpm until warmed up to 700).. I thought this was just due to the fact that it was the DX ecu and the Intake manifold sensors. So recently I replaced the auto y8 intake manifold with a manual y8 manifold with the correct IACV and throttle body, etc. now with that done, I thought my car would run fine with the chipped KENJI ECU (obd2-obd1) i had. i thoght with the intake manifold fixed, the secondary o2 sensor that wasn't attached wouldn't matter with the KENJI ecu..but wrong !! The car still idles wierd 1100rpm and even with the kenji ecu it still had a CEL and didn't drive right.

So after that I got a used OEM MANUAL d16y8 ECU just to make sure...and sure enough...after you drive a few miles it won't rev over 2000rpm...So currently, it is being driven around with the manual DX ECU (with high idle start and CEL)....

PROBLEM!!!: my inspection is already OVERDUE !!! and I just want the thing running as stock as possible with no problems... its just been so long since it was working properly and I just want to fix is ASAP. Does anyone know the problem??? Do you think I need stock exhaust mani?? I don't think it should matter right? Does anyone know of any other sensors or things from an auto y8 engine that are different that may be causing this problem????

My cousin (Honda mechanic who basically did all the manual work..since im @ college currently...) is going to scan the car (with the scanner from the shop) hopefully within the next two days, with the original manual EX ECU to see what codes it is throwing other than the secondary o2... so I will update the post later with that....

does anyone have any ideas/input???
ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED!!! THANK YOU.
Old 04-21-2008, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: HELP!!!!!! d16y8 swap problems!!!!! (xbeamelite)

bump