Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Help, cleaning out electrical wire splice

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2004, 02:32 PM
illicon2003

Default Help, cleaning out electrical wire splice

Ok, well I installed an a/f gauge a while ago, maybe 6 months. I didn't do a good job of keeping the connection clean (I don't have a solder gun) and I'm about 99 percent sure that's why I keep getting a CEL code 1. It happens when I change my oil, and when I was down there I peeled off old electrical tape and it was soaked in oil. Anyways, how can I clean out the connection? I tried using some rubbing alcohol and new electrical tape..but that didn't work. My shrink wrap technique didn't produce good results either. (cig lighter and celophane from bottom of pack ) . There's also power steering fluid on it I believe. Anybody have any reccomendations? I thought to use some dialectric grease. Thanks alot.
PS I've been trying to fix this for hours and I need to get my car running tonight...I have no brake cleaner either
Old 05-24-2004, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Help, cleaning out electrical wire splice (illicon2003)

Go to an autoparts store and in the chemical aisle with all the other cleaners there should be some stuff made by CRC that is electrical connection cleaner. It comes in a red and black aerosol can with black cap. Just spray it on the wires, clean them up with a wire brush and then solder the wires back together and use one of those heat shrink type deals or lots of electrical tape around the splice. BTW did you try pulling your code just to see what it was actually throwing?

Brian
Old 05-24-2004, 04:01 PM
illicon2003

Hey thanks alot for your help. I just changed the oil day before yesterday and I'm pretty sure it's because of that, same thing happened to my friend with same car (year older though). I did try pulling up the code and it was infact code 1. well at least I think it is. it went [short beep] pause pause pause pause [short beep] pause pause pause pause never ending. I don't really have any of that equipment, the soldering gun/wire brush/heat shrink..I appreciate your help, thanks again.
Old 05-24-2004, 04:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you go to the parts store or a store that has alot of electrical connections they have butt connectors that have heat shrink wrap on them they are a little expensive.
what you will wanna do is cut the old wire strands and cut them so there are fresh strands of wire.but when you make your connection just make sure u melt the ends all the way and it seals the wire from any debre and moisture.